#21 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:30 AM

Yeah I mean I've seen the reservations of people about going 4 years on these deals. But none of them break the bank, and they are all multiple spot guys. Speed and PK, PK and faceoffs, shot blocking and hits. I can see the value in the deals, and these types of guys usually degrade slower than say a skilled top 6 winger.

They did a good job of filling in around the seams with caulk. Now it's a matter of them doing it, but I like the moves.

Next year is a big one. Holtby stays or goes. Probably prices himself out, but only if we have a goalie that could step up to be a no. 1. Backstrom is gonna want a ton of money, will he keep putting up the assists to make it worth it? What are you looking at for OVI when he comes up? He's going to start to lose a step soon, has to with that style of play.

I think they do. Samsonov was stellar after the first half last season in the AHL. Even in a worst case scenario, a Samsonov and Vanecek/Copley tandem would be cheap, and maybe even good. If Holtby returns, it's with an agreement that he's willing to be exposed to Seattle. 

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#22 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,025 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:03 AM

Next year is a big one. Holtby stays or goes. Probably prices himself out, but only if we have a goalie that could step up to be a no. 1. Backstrom is gonna want a ton of money, will he keep putting up the assists to make it worth it? What are you looking at for OVI when he comes up? He's going to start to lose a step soon, has to with that style of play.

With both Backstrom and Holtby being UFA's next summer I agree that it's not likely we see both of them back. Obviously goalie is the more critical position but  I think Holts is more likely to go with Copley and Samsanov as the cheap in house replacement.  Holtby is still in his prime and is most likely going to make even more money.

You say Nick is going to want a ton of money, but I'm not so sure that's true.  He currently makes 6.7 million a year, I have no way of proving it but he doesn't strike me as a guy that's going to hold out for the biggest deal possible.  Does he sign a 3 or 4 year deal for 5- 6.5 million, I'm not sure but I'm fine with paying that.  He's been so damn consistent I would be surprised if he had a quick and sudden decline.

We have 2 more years on Ovi's deal.  No way I see Ted letting him leave, but can you really pay a guy that's going to be 35  10 million a year?  What will Ovi's priorities be, money or more rings.  It would be great if he signed some sort of deal like Tom Brady for below value but allows the team to keep other valuable pieces.

#23 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:20 AM

With both Backstrom and Holtby being UFA's next summer I agree that it's not likely we see both of them back. Obviously goalie is the more critical position but  I think Holts is more likely to go with Copley and Samsanov as the cheap in house replacement.  Holtby is still in his prime and is most likely going to make even more money.

You say Nick is going to want a ton of money, but I'm not so sure that's true.  He currently makes 6.7 million a year, I have no way of proving it but he doesn't strike me as a guy that's going to hold out for the biggest deal possible.  Does he sign a 3 or 4 year deal for 5- 6.5 million, I'm not sure but I'm fine with paying that.  He's been so damn consistent I would be surprised if he had a quick and sudden decline.

We have 2 more years on Ovi's deal.  No way I see Ted letting him leave, but can you really pay a guy that's going to be 35  10 million a year?  What will Ovi's priorities be, money or more rings.  It would be great if he signed some sort of deal like Tom Brady for below value but allows the team to keep other valuable pieces.

I think Ovechkin will take a page out of Joe Thornton's playbook and start taking one year deals. If the NHL doesn't let players participate in the Olympics, he probably plays in the KHL in 2022. 

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#24 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 159,072 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 06:35 PM

NBC Sports: The ultimate 2019-20 Capitals preview

https://www.nbcsport...apitals-preview

#25 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,894 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 October 2019 - 08:49 PM

Great game so far.

#26 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,894 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 October 2019 - 09:59 PM

Great win. Awesome to bounce back after the slow start, on the road, after having to sit through that banner raising.

#27 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,025 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 03 October 2019 - 08:26 AM

659 for Ovie, look for him to move up to 7th or 8th all time after this season.

#28 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 08:33 AM

Great win. Awesome to bounce back after the slow start, on the road, after having to sit through that banner raising.

Indeed.  After the two quick goals I thought it was going to be a similar game as a year earlier when the Caps raised their banner and dominated.

#29 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,437 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 03 October 2019 - 11:13 AM

Didn't get to watch it, on the way home from soccer practice and dinner, but did they look more physical and less skilled?

I'm sure it'll be a little worse than usual because Kuzy isn't out there, but this was a good team to gauge against since they were considered the most physical team in hockey last year.

How'd the rookie look? I know they are really excited about him.

@JeremyMStrain

#30 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 159,072 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 09:53 AM

Japers Rink: Capitals vs. Canes Recap: Washington Finally Falls 3-2 to Carolina in OT
https://www.japersri...-carolina-in-ot

#31 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 159,072 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 07:36 AM

Washington Post: Capitals rally to force overtime but fall in the extra period again in loss to Dallas
https://www.washingt...7b37_story.html

#32 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,894 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 October 2019 - 07:20 PM

Kuzy looks great so far. Scored a nice one to start a string of 3 quick goals (in 78 seconds) in the 2nd period which has now put the Caps in front of Toronto 4-2.

#33 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,894 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 October 2019 - 07:21 PM

A fast whistle just cost the Caps 4th goal a few seconds later. Crazy.

#34 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 159,072 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 07:58 AM

Washington Post: Caps start a 5 game road trip with a win in Chicago

https://www.washingt...d127_story.html

#35 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 159,072 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 01:18 PM

RMNBReport: Possible new contracts for Nicklas Backstrom and Braden Holtby aren’t coming soon

#36 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,025 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 29 October 2019 - 01:30 PM

RMNBReport: Possible new contracts for Nicklas Backstrom and Braden Holtby aren’t coming soon

I mean financially it makes sense to wait and take stock but it doesn't have to mean I like it.

With Holts and Backs up this year and Ovie next year I know it's not likely all 3 remain.  I feel like we should be able to keep at least two.   

If I can't keep 3 the 2 I keep are 8 and 19.  Samsanov is waiting in the wings as a cheap alternative.  Even though I will forever be grateful for "the save" and all that Holtby has done he would be the one I let walk.

#37 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,437 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 29 October 2019 - 01:38 PM

I mean financially it makes sense to wait and take stock but it doesn't have to mean I like it.

With Holts and Backs up this year and Ovie next year I know it's not likely all 3 remain.  I feel like we should be able to keep at least two.   

If I can't keep 3 the 2 I keep are 8 and 19.  Samsanov is waiting in the wings as a cheap alternative.  Even though I will forever be grateful for "the save" and all that Holtby has done he would be the one I let walk.

Yeah I'd be willing to bet money Holts is gone. He's just priced himself so high, that there's no way it works. I could see him taking a little less to stay, but no where near enough to walk away from what someone is going to pay him on the open market. 19 I see them getting done. Ovi will either find a deal to stay or go home to Russia.

This is always going to be a problem in sports today, but hopefully they figure it out.

@JeremyMStrain

#38 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,894 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 October 2019 - 01:53 PM

Agreed that Holtby would be the odd man out there. Super bittersweet. I don't want that, but he's easily the best choice among those 3.
  • JeremyStrain likes this

#39 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 159,072 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 06:40 AM

ESPN: Jakub Vrana scores twice, Capitals rout Sabres 6-1
https://www.espn.com...ameId/401145239

#40 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 159,072 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 08:33 AM

NBC Sports: Capitals Mailbag Part 2: What are the biggest issues facing the Caps?
https://www.nbcsport...ues-facing-caps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=