#21 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 16 June 2019 - 09:55 AM

Locksley picked up another commitment last night, from 3-star RB Ebony Jackson (Marietta, GA). He becomes the Terps' highest-ranked recruit in their 2020 class, and chose Maryland over other offers from Alabama, Ole Miss, South Carolina, and Tennessee, among others. He's currently ranked as the 30th-best RB in the country.

The Terps now have the #35 class in the country, #8 in the Big Ten.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#22 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 17 June 2019 - 11:52 AM

Another day, another huge pickup for Locksley. 4-star RB Peny Boone (Detroit, MI) chooses Maryland over offers from Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Tennessee, and others. He becomes the highest-ranked member of the Terrapins' 2020 class, and is currently ranked as the 25th-best RB in the country. He's got massive size for the position, standing 6'2" and weighing in at 225 lbs. He's also known as an excellent pass-catching back.

The Terps now have the #30 class in the country, #8 in the Big Ten.

@BSLZackKiesel

#23 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 17 June 2019 - 01:22 PM

Man that's tough to have the 30th best class in the whole damn nation but still only 8th in your own conference.

Nice get though. 

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#24 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 17 June 2019 - 02:03 PM

Man that's tough to have the 30th best class in the whole damn nation but still only 8th in your own conference.

Nice get though. 

No doubt, good news is they are within 10 spots nationally of Northwestern (#21), Michigan (#22), Penn State (#24), Minnesota (#25), and Wisconsin (#29). Lots of B1G schools in that 20-30 range.

• Pedro Cerrano and Mike B like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#25 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:10 AM

Locksley picked up a commitment from 3-star CB Tarheeb Still (Sicklerville, NJ) last night. He chose Maryland over other offers from Baylor, Syracuse, West Virginia, and Virginia Tech, among others.

The Terps now have the #28 class in the country, #7 in the Big Ten.

• BSLChrisStoner and Mackus like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#26 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:17 AM

Thanks, Zack.  Really like hearing the other quality programs that were in the mix for some of these guys we are getting commitments from.  That is a much better anchor point for me as to the quality and potential of the player than stars or overall/positional ratings in the state or country for each player.  

A bit hard to get excited right now though considering how meaningless commitments are in football recruiting until signing day.  I would guess that about half of these guys will end up elsewhere.  But the trend is certainly positive, Locksley living up to his reputation as a recruiter. 

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#27 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 12:23 PM

A pessimistic take from my buddy who follows recruiting:

“You guys know I’m generally positive and an optimist... but this recruiting class will struggle to stay top 30. Expected Locks to be more effective with DMV recruits. We have almost NO traction with any top local kids and the DMV class is LOADED. Even Locks can’t get local kids/coaches past the McNair incident.”

@bopper33

#28 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 12:23 PM

“Gotta win this fall. He’s def doing better than expected out of state under the circumstances but most of the class is made up of kids that weren’t heavily recruited.”

@bopper33

#29 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 12:41 PM

I think that is a fair take...do something on the field and I think he will be able to make local flips late.

#30 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 20 June 2019 - 06:06 PM

Locksley picked up a commitment from 3-star S Shane Mosley (Havertown, PA) earlier today. He chose Maryland over other offers from Army, Navy, and UMass, among others. He's the brother of current Terps LB Jordan Mosley.

The Terps now have the #27 class in the country, #7 in the Big Ten.

@BSLZackKiesel

#31 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 06:23 PM

They are on a nice roll. Clearly pushing on guys before they camp begins.

#32 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 24 June 2019 - 11:56 AM

Yesterday, Locksley picked up a commitment from 3-star ATH Nick DeGennaro (Princeton, NJ) who will play WR for the Terps. He was primarily recruited by offensive line coach John Reagan and co-offensive coordinator/wide receivers coach Joker Phillips. He chose Maryland over other offers from UMass and Northern Illinois, as well as a number of FCS universities.

The Terps currently have the #32 class in the country, #7 in the Big Ten.

• BSLChrisStoner and Mike B like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#33 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,434 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:42 PM

I have to echo the sentiment that it is disappointing to see them doing this poorly locally, especially since that was Locksley's calling card and the only reason I felt good about him being hired. Hopefully they can have a good season on the field and flip a couple DMV kids late.

That said, I don't really think this is all that related to Jordan McNair. If there were concerns that the issues that cost him his life had not been addressed at UM, even the 3-star kids wouldn't give them a sniff....it's not like they and their parents value their health and safety any less than the 4/5-star recruits. I think it's just that MD hasn't been any good for a long time. Durkin briefly sold them on his vision and enthusiasm, but even he didn't win enough games before it all went up in smoke. So I think everyone now is more skeptical....and even as respected as Locksley is locally, he's not going to get the benefit of a doubt. He has to post wins first.

I don't think they can sustain the level of talent that Durkin was getting by going after 2nd/3rd tier players from Georgia, Florida, NJ, etc.; plus hoping for a few big scores on the transfer market (even though that is a bigger factor now than ever before). It's fine as a stopgap for one cycle/season after a coaching change, but long term UM is going to have to get more/better local players to have any chance of being competitive.

#34 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 08:27 AM

They have to win some games. 

If they do that, they should be able to flip a few locals late, 

You had the back-to-back Top 30 classes with Durkin, and somehow the Top 45 class coming in now (pretty remarkable, all things considered). 

The 2020 Class is currently 39th. 

Goal has to be Top 30, and flipping a few locals. 

Totally agree that long-term, you have to win the local recruiting battles. 
Show some on-field progress, and I don't think that will be an issue for Locksley. 

#35 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 July 2019 - 12:17 PM

They have to win some games. 

If they do that, they should be able to flip a few locals late, 

You had the back-to-back Top 30 classes with Durkin, and somehow the Top 45 class coming in now (pretty remarkable, all things considered). 

The 2020 Class is currently 39th. 

Goal has to be Top 30, and flipping a few locals. 

Totally agree that long-term, you have to win the local recruiting battles. 
Show some on-field progress, and I don't think that will be an issue for Locksley. 

Yea,  And I do think there are still many trust issues that UM has to deal with.

I am sure there are recruits and more importantly from a recruiting standpoint, parents, who have Maryland under the microscope.

Locksley is running up hill.  Patience is needed, IMO.

@mikeghg

#36 Ojielo

Ojielo
  • Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 11:16 AM

Maryland is a good mid major program at best.  Mid majors live off of transfers.  He needs to set his sights on the hampton Roads area of Virginia where they are still Maryland friendly and have more talent than this state.

Marine Corps Sniper...One Shot One Kill

#37 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 11:25 AM

Maryland is a good mid major program at best.  Mid majors live off of transfers.  He needs to set his sights on the hampton Roads area of Virginia where they are still Maryland friendly and have more talent than this state.

If you can land Top 30 classes (and MD is capable of that), you don't have to settle for calling yourself a mid-major program. 

You certainly can't sell yourself as that. You need to go sell kids on the idea of playing in the Big Ten East.  Get the players with the chips on their shoulders, with something to prove. 

Certainly enough talent within 2 hours of College Park, that you can build something. 

Agree that Hampton Roads / Tidewater should be a good area to go after. 

• Mike B likes this

#38 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,434 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 24 July 2019 - 09:09 PM

24x7 just made an update to their 2020 recruit rankings, and LB-commit Ruben Hyppolite made a huge jump. He went from the #598 overall ranked recruit in the country to #326, and jumped from a 3 to a 4-star. Also, the word on him is out amongst the big-time schools and several are coming for him, including Alabama.

#39 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 25 July 2019 - 06:37 AM

24x7 just made an update to their 2020 recruit rankings, and LB-commit Ruben Hyppolite made a huge jump. He went from the #598 overall ranked recruit in the country to #326, and jumped from a 3 to a 4-star. Also, the word on him is out amongst the big-time schools and several are coming for him, including Alabama.

Yeah that had been coming for awhile, he was always an extremely underrated recruit. He's stayed firm in his commitment thus far, even helping to recruit other guys. Of course we've seen that before... *cough*Haskins*cough*

@BSLZackKiesel

#40 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 06:52 AM

This is one reason why I don't pay any attention to recruiting rankings until signing day.  This kid is gone.  Others will flip towards us.  It's such a chaotic process.  

• Mike B likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=