• Please log in to reply
453 replies to this topic

#361 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 02:40 PM

You’re talking about what you do not know. I’m assuming that you never played with him growing up, and probably didn’t see him play while he was at Dunbar. Turk wasn’t a three, in fact he was a two. Even played a lot of point at Dunbar. He was a very accomplished passer. My point of him not showing up under the lights, was the fact that he could shoot the lights out until the actual lights came on. He should have went to Kentucky(his other finalist), you would have seen a total different player. He did whatever Gary wanted for the better of the team, not he as a player.

No, I didn't play with him. I respect that you did. I did follow his career at Dunbar. Even if he was an AAU / HS 2G (and he wasn't with Bright and Lloyd).... He absolutely didn't have the skill set to be a high major 2 or 3. That skillset just didn't exist.

He also spent his first 3 years at MD on the same team as Hipp, who was the protypical college 3. Plus athleticism. Could stretch the defense a bit. He certainly wasn't playing ahead of Rhodes at the 2. Booth was a good passer, and could dribble some in the open court, no doubt there. But the offense he did provide when the games were played was near the basket. (That wasn't just necessity, that was what he did best.)

When he was a Senior in College (and 1st team All-ACC), he went 1 for 21 from 3 for the year. 22 for 105 for his college career.

If he wasn't known as a winner, capable and willing of doing the dirty work.. he never would have sniffed the league in the first place.

#362 JBMAD

JBMAD
  • Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 04:27 PM

Come on GA, Dunbar had him listed at 6'8 and 6'9 in some high school magazines. Booth was a scrapper who got where hid because of that. His quickness and toughness are what made him. His outside shot was awful.

#363 City40blast

City40blast
  • Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 04:57 PM

Right, love Booth toughness but he couldn’t shoot as good as the others on that Maryland team. And lol at the Kentucky comment

#364 GreyhoundAlum

GreyhoundAlum
  • Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 06:39 PM

You all are making my point, he couldn’t shoot when the lights came on. He was lights out when they weren’t.

#365 GreyhoundAlum

GreyhoundAlum
  • Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 06:42 PM

Right, love Booth toughness but he couldn’t shoot as good as the others on that Maryland team. And lol at the Kentucky comment

What’s funny about the Kentucky comment. He picked Maryland over Kentucky. In fact, most thought it was going to be Kentucky.

I’m very familiar with that whole Maryland team, Johnny Rhodes is still one of my best friends in the world. None of those guys were great shooters. Johnny being the best as a starter, but Mario was probably their best shooter on the team. Either he or Wayne “Nut” Bristol, who didn’t play as much as he should have. Most talented team I think Maryland had, they just didn’t like each other.

#366 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 06:45 PM

You all are making my point, he couldn’t shoot when the lights came on. He was lights out when they weren’t.

We aren't making your point. Gary maximized the skill set he had... if he could have shot the ball when the lights were on, maybe he would've been utilized differently.

#367 GreyhoundAlum

GreyhoundAlum
  • Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 07:11 PM

We aren't making your point. Gary maximized the skill set he had... if he could have shot the ball when the lights were on, maybe he would've been utilized differently.

Not the point I was talking about. Gary didn’t maximize his talents actually. He was a playmaker, not a bruiser. No one on that team could shoot. The starting three on that team was Exree, and Turk was much better in all aspects of the game as Exree except dunking. Gary made him bulk up to play as an undersized Power Forward. He was the best passer on the team, yes better than Duane Simpkins. He should have played the three and been a facilitator.

#368 JBMAD

JBMAD
  • Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 08:22 AM

Being just a facilitator doesnt get him drafted in the first round, imo.

#369 GreyhoundAlum

GreyhoundAlum
  • Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 11:11 AM

Being just a facilitator doesnt get him drafted in the first round, imo.

He got drafted in the first round because David Falk was his agent and had a relationship with the Bulls. He had no chance to succeed in the NBA, how many 6’5-6’6 Power Forwards do you have in the NBA? Barkley is the last one I remember to do it.

By the way, they tried to play him at the three and even some two, but he had just spent the last four years not use to playing at those spots anymore.

#370 JBMAD

JBMAD
  • Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 12:35 PM

He got drafted in the first round because David Falk was his agent and had a relationship with the Bulls. He had no chance to succeed in the NBA, how many 6’5-6’6 Power Forwards do you have in the NBA? Barkley is the last one I remember to do it.

By the way, they tried to play him at the three and even some two, but he had just spent the last four years not use to playing at those spots anymore.

Dont disagree with that stuff only the part where you said Gary ruined him. You need to put that on Wade.

#371 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 01:55 PM

Private Schools - Ace Baldwin, Blankney, Ausar Crawley, James Bishop, Cameron Spencer

@WBALPete

Proud to introduce keynote speaker for the Baltimore Catholic League awards luncheon @CoachTHardy and announce winner of BCL Player of the year from Mt. St. Joseph, James Bishop. 

#372 TheGuru

TheGuru

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 671 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 05:04 PM

The coach needs to be fired! Have said it many times. He’s horrible. That and the injuries, season had no chance. Feel horribly for Rucker. I’m sure he leads the area in scoring, but he won’t get the recognition he deserves. Should be 1st team All Met and wont be.

The only thing that feels good is, they out foots in your bum team twice this year.

How slow has Gilman risen in the MIAA ranks that two 3 point wins (65-62 & 69-66) over a scrappy yet talent-depleted CHC Team has you giddy as a Bryn Mawr schoolgirl. Lol! I like Rucker and I think Missouri is way better than you give him credit for but the rest of your team are just a bunch of guys.

#373 TheGuru

TheGuru

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 671 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 05:15 PM

Baltimore City - Marvin Price, Justin Lewis, Brandon Murray, Gerard Mungo, Rahim Ali

Price, Marcus Hocker (Edm-W), Lewis, Mungo & Ali.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#374 TheGuru

TheGuru

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 671 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 05:26 PM

Private Schools - Ace Baldwin, Blankney, Ausar Crawley, James Bishop, Cameron Spencer

Baldwin, Blakeney, Jalen Rucker (Gilman), Bishop & Spencer.

#375 TheGuru

TheGuru

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 671 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 05:30 PM

Best Coaching Job - Rees, Boys Latin.
Biggest Disappointment- Gilman
One Year Away - Gilman

✅ on Rees.
✅ on Gilman.¡McDonogh will be tough next season. Gilman loses Rucker. They’re two decades or more away.

#376 TheGuru

TheGuru

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 671 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 06:04 PM

Baltimore County: Ryan Conway-Dulaney, Che Evans-Dulaney, John Godinez-Parkville, Andrew Mills-New Town and Martaz Robinson-New Town

#377 TheGuru

TheGuru

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 671 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 06:16 PM

Dont disagree with that stuff only the part where you said Gary ruined him. You need to put that on Wade.

Pete Pompey was Booth’s coach at Dunbar, not Wade.

#378 GreyhoundAlum

GreyhoundAlum
  • Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 06:42 PM

How slow has Gilman risen in the MIAA ranks that two 3 point wins (65-62 & 69-66) over a scrappy yet talent-depleted CHC Team has you giddy as a Bryn Mawr schoolgirl. Lol! I like Rucker and I think Missouri is way better than you give him credit for but the rest of your team are just a bunch of guys.

I think you will be eating your words about that when it comes to Winbourne. He’s a high D1 prospect, who could be the top prospect in the area his senior year. Don’t see him staying at Gilman with that coach.

#379 GreyhoundAlum

GreyhoundAlum
  • Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 06:45 PM

Pete Pompey was Booth’s coach at Dunbar, not Wade.

I was just about to write that. Pompey did what he was suppose to do, get the hell out of the way and let them play. He was more like an NBA a coach, not much strategy, a game manger.

#380 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 06:45 PM

So, best out of 7 series... how do you things would go? 

Baltimore County: Ryan Conway (Dulaney), Che Evans (Dulaney), John Godinez (Parkville), Andrew Mills (New Town), &  Martaz Robinson (New Town)  

vs: 

Baltimore City: Marvin Price (Patterson), Gerard Mungo (Patterson), Rahim Ali (Poly), Justin Lewis (Poly), Brandon Murray (Poly) & Marcus Hocker (Edmondson)

vs: 

Private:  Ace Baldwin (St. Frances), RJ Blakney (Gorretti), James Bishop (MSJ), Cameron Spencer (Boys Latin) & either Jalen Rucker (Gilman) or Ausar Crawley (MSJ).

Was that the Blakney you guys were talking about?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=