453 replies to this topic

#1 TheGuru

TheGuru

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 671 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 09:57 PM

With football winding down, basketball season started for me this afternoon. Calvert Hall opened their first season under a new coach in a scrimmage at home against Olympus HS (NJ). CHC was handled easily by Olympus. Greyhound Alum will be happy to know that It’s gonna be a long season for CHC and that Gilman might finally be better than the Cardinals for once. Next up is another tough scrimmage tomorrow afternoon at St. Paul’s.

#2 GreyhoundAlum

GreyhoundAlum
  • Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 11:53 PM

With football winding down, basketball season started for me this afternoon. Calvert Hall opened their first season under a new coach in a scrimmage at home against Olympus HS (NJ). CHC was handled easily by Olympus. Greyhound Alum will be happy to know that It’s gonna be a long season for CHC and that Gilman might finally be better than the Cardinals for once. Next up is another tough scrimmage tomorrow afternoon at St. Paul’s.

y

I mean Gilman has been better than CHC a couple of times in the last decade. This Gilman team has 4 kids with D1 offers, Chase Drew, Malik Missouri, Jalen Rucker, and what night be the best ninth grader in the area, Christian Winbourne. They have at least 4 other kids who will pay D1. They’re loaded. If they aren’t a Top 4 MIAA team this year, we will know that it’s 100% coaching.

#3 Gooch

Gooch

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 741 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 06:56 AM

CHC finishes last in the league this year imo just not enough star power

#4 TheGuru

TheGuru

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 671 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 07:49 AM

y

I mean Gilman has been better than CHC a couple of times in the last decade. This Gilman team has 4 kids with D1 offers, Chase Drew, Malik Missouri, Jalen Rucker, and what night be the best ninth grader in the area, Christian Winbourne. They have at least 4 other kids who will pay D1. They’re loaded. If they aren’t a Top 4 MIAA team this year, we will know that it’s 100% coaching.

Gilman has never been better than Calvert Hall in hoops. The Greyhounds have won individual games but trail badly in the series since they left the B-Conference. They have never won an MIAA A-Conference title either. Antonio Hamlin of MSJ was the MVP of the Super 80 Showcase c/o ‘22 game at Randallstown this past summer, a game in which he had 22 pts as did City College’s Kai Brooks. Spalding’s Cameron Whitmore scored 20 pts and Winborne and SFA’s Carlos Alexander both scored 16 pts. Winborne is talented but he’s not the best just because he wears a Gilman jersey. IMO SFA, MSJ, McDonogh and Glenelg Country will all be better than Gilman this year. I get that Gilman football sucks but don’t overcompensate and think that Gilman will win the MIAA. It ain’t happening.

#5 TheGuru

TheGuru

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 671 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 08:07 AM

CHC finishes last in the league this year imo just not enough star power

You ain’t lyin’. Logan Curtis is an assassin and will make an all-League and possibly all-Metro team due to sheer scoring volume. I haven’t seen a roster devoid of talent like this at Calvert Hall in years. Things could have been different. I called for former coach Bauersfeld to showcase forwards Justin Lewis and Montez McNeil when they were freshmen and he didn’t. Lewis transferred to Poly after his freshmen season & McNeil to Georgetown Day this past summer. Coach Hasson supposedly brought 6’8” F Zaakir Williamson with him from West Philly Catholic but before school even started Williamson transferred to Wilson HS in DC. He could have been one of the the main guys at CHC with Curtis but smartly chose to play with the Mitchell twins, Domingus Stevens and Jay Heath on what could be a USA Today Top 25-type team. A team with Curtis, Lewis, McNeil and Williamson would have been be a tough out for any Baltimore-area team. I hate woulda-coulda-shouldas.

#6 Gooch

Gooch

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 741 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 08:13 AM

You ain’t lyin’. Logan Curtis is an assassin and will make an all-League and possibly all-Metro team due to sheer scoring volume. I haven’t seen a roster devoid of talent like this at Calvert Hall in years. Things could have been different. I called for former coach Bauersfeld to showcase forwards Justin Lewis and Montez McNeil when they were freshmen and he didn’t. Lewis transferred to Poly after his freshmen season & McNeil to Georgetown Day this past summer. Coach Hasson supposedly brought 6’8” F Zaakir Williamson with him from West Philly Catholic but before school even started Williamson transferred to Wilson HS in DC. He could have been one of the the main guys at CHC with Curtis but smartly chose to play with the Mitchell twins, Domingus Stevens and Jay Heath on what could be a USA Today Top 25-type team. A team with Curtis, Lewis, McNeil and Williamson would have been be a tough out for any Baltimore-area team. I hate woulda-coulda-shouldas.

I totally agree the former coach ran the program in the ground and all what’s left is Curtis who signed with ECU yesterday good for him

#7 Ojielo

Ojielo
  • Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 09:01 AM

Looks like Dulaney is becoming a powerhouse in Baltimore County.  They have joined forces with Team Melo AAU program, so there is a pipeline that is going to make it difficult for the rest of the county to keep pace.  I believe Dundalk is a distant second, along with Milford, New Town and Woodlawn.

Marine Corps Sniper...One Shot One Kill

#8 Gooch

Gooch

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 741 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 10:05 AM

y

GA I heard Rucker signed with Army

#9 GreyhoundAlum

GreyhoundAlum
  • Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 10:47 AM

Gilman has never been better than Calvert Hall in hoops. The Greyhounds have won individual games but trail badly in the series since they left the B-Conference. They have never won an MIAA A-Conference title either. Antonio Hamlin of MSJ was the MVP of the Super 80 Showcase c/o ‘22 game at Randallstown this past summer, a game in which he had 22 pts as did City College’s Kai Brooks. Spalding’s Cameron Whitmore scored 20 pts and Winborne and SFA’s Carlos Alexander both scored 16 pts. Winborne is talented but he’s not the best just because he wears a Gilman jersey. IMO SFA, MSJ, McDonogh and Glenelg Country will all be better than Gilman this year. I get that Gilman football sucks but don’t overcompensate and think that Gilman will win the MIAA. It ain’t happening.

I’m familiar with Hamlin, but he and Winborne have played together for years and he’s never been better than Winborne. SFA and MSJ should be better, but no way is McDonogh better. I don’t really know much about Glenelg Country School’s team this year. So, can’t call it with them. Will have to reach out to my man Chuck Lightning who coaches over there to get the 411.

#10 GreyhoundAlum

GreyhoundAlum
  • Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 10:49 AM

GA I heard Rucker signed with Army

Yeah I heard. Good for him, kid is by far the most underrated kid in the area. Straight dog.

#11 GreyhoundAlum

GreyhoundAlum
  • Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 10:51 AM

Logan Curtis seems like he’s been there for 6 years! Damn, he’s still there!!

#12 Gooch

Gooch

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 741 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 11:48 AM

Yeah I heard. Good for him, kid is by far the most underrated kid in the area. Straight dog.

I agree

#13 TheGuru

TheGuru

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 671 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 02:19 PM

I’m familiar with Hamlin, but he and Winborne have played together for years and he’s never been better than Winborne. SFA and MSJ should be better, but no way is McDonogh better. I don’t really know much about Glenelg Country School’s team this year. So, can’t call it with them. Will have to reach out to my man Chuck Lightning who coaches over there to get the 411.

The Eagles have 6-3 SR G Drew Green, 6-4 JR F Curtis Jacobs, 6-4 SO G David Brown, 6-4 SO F Jared Billups, 6-6 FR F Dani Sutton and two other highly rated freshman, 6-5 FR W Preston Howard & 5-10 FR G Everett Cooper (the missing link). They will be better than Gilman. You heard it here first.

#14 GreyhoundAlum

GreyhoundAlum
  • Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 02:37 PM

The Eagles have 6-3 SR G Drew Green, 6-4 JR F Curtis Jacobs, 6-4 SO G David Brown, 6-4 SO F Jared Billups, 6-6 FR F Dani Sutton and two other highly rated freshman, 6-5 FR W Preston Howard & 5-10 FR G Everett Cooper (the missing link). They will be better than Gilman. You heard it here first.

Jacobs-football player, Howard-football player, Sutton-DL football player. Cooper kid couldn’t hold Winborne’s jock. Gilman has three kids better than McDonogh’s best player Green. Chase Drew is in another league to any player McD has, and Rucker and Missouri are better. The other ninth grader on Gilman’s team last year, Matt Cooper, I believe will be better than Missouri. Rayuan Lane And Josh Green are two of the best sophomores in the area as well. And they still have Jordan Foster. Let’s not forget the other stud ninth grade kids they have, Charlie Guyton, Morgan Mednick and Justin Betts. I think the little Roberts kid won’t play basketball this year because of his football injury.

This Gilman team will have by far the most talent any Gilman team in its history has had. They could go 10 deep. Pretty sure Winborne and Guyton will be on Varsity, I would put the other kids on JV. Only because of mins and the fact that Gilman will want to keep some upper class men that return, on Varsity. The only question this team has, coaching!

#15 TheGuru

TheGuru

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 671 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 02:43 PM

Jacobs-football player, Howard-football player, Sutton-DL football player. Cooper kid couldn’t hold Winborne’s jock. Gilman has three kids better than McDonogh’s best player Green. Chase Drew is in another league to any player McD has, and Rucker and Missouri are better. The other ninth grader on Gilman’s team last year, Matt Cooper, I believe will be better than Missouri. Rayuan Lane And Josh Green are two of the best sophomores in the area as well. And they still have Jordan Foster. Let’s not forget the other stud ninth grade kids they have, Charlie Guyton, Morgan Mednick and Justin Betts. I think the little Roberts kid won’t play basketball this year because of his football injury.

This Gilman team will have by far the most talent any Gilman team in its history has had. They could go 10 deep. Pretty sure Winborne and Guyton will be on Varsity, I would put the other kids on JV. Only because of mins and the fact that Gilman will want to keep some upper class men that return, on Varsity. The only question this team has, coaching!

Over the years Gilman has had plenty of football players play basketball also. I think McDonogh will bully the frail Greyhounds. We’ll have to wait and see.

#16 GreyhoundAlum

GreyhoundAlum
  • Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 03:03 PM

Over the years Gilman has had plenty of football players play basketball also. I think McDonogh will bully the frail Greyhounds. We’ll have to wait and see.

True. This is the first Gilman team made up of exclusively full time basketball players. McD will definitely have the bulk advantage. I think the league will be won by SFA, with MSJ coming in second. After that, wide open probably.

#17 TheGuru

TheGuru

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 671 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 05:30 PM

TheGuru’s Top 5 Baltimore Hoops Preview

Top 5 Teams in Town

1. SFA
2. Poly
3. MSJ
4. Patterson
5. Dulaney

Top 5 Interesting Teams to See Outside of Baltimore

1. Wilson (DC)
2. St. Maria Goretti
3. Bishop Walsh
4. Archbishop Carroll (DC)
5. Bishop McNamara

Top 5 Players

1. James Bishop-MSJ SR G
2. Justin Lewis-Poly JR F
3. Adrian “Ace” Baldwin-SFA JR G
4. Marvin Price-Patterson SR W
5. tie Ryan Conway-Dulaney SO G
5. tie Che Evans-Dulaney JR W

Top 5 Games

1. SFA vs Paul VI (VA) on 12/1^^^
2. MSJ vs Gonzaga (DC) on 12/1^^^
3. Poly @ Wilson ((DC) on 12/8***
4. Poly @ St. John’s (DC) on 12/15###
5. tie Wilson (DC) @ SFA on 1/5+++
5. tie Poly vs SFA on 1/26-Location TBA

^^^BCL-WCAC Challenge
***DC-Baltimore Classic
###More Than Basketball Invitational
+++Baltimore Hoops Festival
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#18 Gooch

Gooch

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 741 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 06:13 PM

Gonna be a damn good hoops year

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 06:16 PM

TheGuru’s Top 5 Baltimore Hoops Preview

Top 5 Teams in Town

1. SFA
2. Poly
3. MSJ
4. Patterson
5. Dulaney

Top 5 Teams to See Outside of Baltimore

1. Wilson (DC)
2. DeMatha
3. St. Maria Goretti
4. Bishop Walsh
5. Archbishop Carroll (DC)

Top 5 Players

1. James Bishop-MSJ SR G
2. Justin Lewis-Poly JR F
3. Adrian “Ace” Baldwin-SFA JR G
4. Marvin Price-Patterson SR W
5. tie Ryan Conway-Dulaney SO G
5. tie Che Evans-Dulaney JR W

Top 5 Games

1. SFA vs Paul VI (VA) on 12/1^^^
2. MSJ vs Gonzaga (DC) on 12/1^^^
3. Poly @ Wilson ((DC) on 12/8***
4. Poly @ St. John’s (DC) on 12/15###
5. tie Wilson (DC) @ SFA on 1/5+++
5. tie Poly vs SFA on 1/26-Location TBA

^^^BCL-WCAC Challenge
***DC-Baltimore Classic
###More Than Basketball Invitational
+++Baltimore Hoops Festival

Nice preview, thanks....

Saw the 247Sports rankings for '19 MD talent....

https://247sports.co...t.Enabled=False

#20 TheGuru

TheGuru

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 671 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 07:29 PM

2018-19 Top Area “Tournaments”

BCL-WCAC Challenge 12/1/18 Times & Location TBA

SFA vs Paul VI (VA)
MSJ vs Gonzaga (DC)