#101 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,355 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 20 May 2019 - 12:22 PM

This is relatively meaningless if you think Vaughn is that good.

Mancini is likely gone...no idea what the future holds for Sisco.  Mountcastle can perhaps go to the OF...or maybe Vaughn himself can go to the OF.

This stuff gets worked out.

Disagree. Here's his scouting report.

Weaknesses
  • Can only play first base
  • Below average runner
  • Height (Not too worried about that)

So unless you grade his bat way better than Adley then I think its a mistake. He isn't playing anything other than 1B/DH.

#102 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 May 2019 - 12:27 PM

Disagree. Here's his scouting report.

Weaknesses
  • Can only play first base
  • Below average runner
  • Height (Not too worried about that)

So unless you grade his bat way better than Adley then I think its a mistake. He isn't playing anything other than 1B/DH.

Its not a mistake,  You keep saying that but thats just poor wording.

You are basing it off of what MAY happen with players already here.  You have no idea what the players will become.

And maybe you take Mountcastle and trade him.  or you trade Vaughn down the road.

There are many ways to go about this.

The only mistake in drafting him is if you don't grade him that well and go for the value pick anyway.  

Otherwise, its never a mistake to draft someone you believe can be an elite/well above average talent.

#103 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,355 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 20 May 2019 - 03:24 PM

Of course its never a mistake to draft an elite/well above average talent. The mistake is drafting that player over another elite/well above average talent player who better fits your needs. 

The O's have an abundance of MLB talent or soon to be at that level talent that are headed to 1B/DH. Of course there are many ways to go about it. But new positions does not seem to be in the cards for any of the guys we are talking about.

But the O's do not have an elite/well above average talent at the C position that is touted for great defense as well as a bat.

So we'll just agree to disagree. We have had this conversation before and likely neither of us are changing our minds. You like to stock pile the best talent you can get regardless of where they play. I think that can get taken too far and I think the O's are there with 1B/DH right now.

#104 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:18 PM

Of course its never a mistake to draft an elite/well above average talent. The mistake is drafting that player over another elite/well above average talent player who better fits your needs. 

Unless it is an absolute tie in every other regard - and I'd argue it never is at #1 - then need is not a part of the equation.

Also, even if need was a factor that should be considered, there isn't a single position that isn't a dire need for the Orioles.

• SportsGuy likes this

#105 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,355 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:49 PM

Unless it is an absolute tie in every other regard - and I'd argue it never is at #1 - then need is not a part of the equation.

Also, even if need was a factor that should be considered, there isn't a single position that isn't a dire need for the Orioles.

I just totally fail to get your guys thoughts here. The article seems to indicate that Adley is every bit as good if not better hitter. And he is clearly better defensively. And he plays something other than 1B/DH.  To me that makes it a no brainer. Now if the article is wrong then so be it.

So how do you think its the right move to take Vaughan?

#106 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:53 PM

I just totally fail to get your guys thoughts here. The article seems to indicate that Adley is every bit as good if not better hitter. And he is clearly better defensively. And he plays something other than 1B/DH.  To me that makes it a no brainer. Now if the article is wrong then so be it.

The question isn't if Adley is better.

The question is how much better?  The question is, if Vaughn is still really good and you can get a far better talent at #42 with him compared to Adley (because it takes far less to sign him and thus, you have extra money to convince someone to sign here vs staying or going to college), is that the better move?

To me, it is IF (big if) you have Vaughn graded close to Adley...If its not close, you don't do that IMO.

#107 FFH

FFH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:56 PM

But if Rutschman is a solid A+ and the next guy is a B+, you don't take the far lesser player for a chance to get a HSer that may drop.

Yeah, I really can't see them blowing this pick on a High School player.

#108 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:06 PM

I'm strongly advocating Rutschman. 

I just don't think the rationale you're using to place a high value on position and organizational need, no matter who it is in support of, is a good strategy.  Organizational need is the most minute of factors in deciding who to take with the #1 pick.  It's very, very slightly more important than uniform number.  Less important than shoe size.

#109 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,616 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:11 PM

With Arizona loaded up I think it’s less likely we take someone other than Rutschman. I don’t think he’ll be tough to sign so not sure how much you’d be saving anyway.

#110 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,355 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 20 May 2019 - 07:17 PM

The question isn't if Adley is better.

The question is how much better?  The question is, if Vaughn is still really good and you can get a far better talent at #42 with him compared to Adley (because it takes far less to sign him and thus, you have extra money to convince someone to sign here vs staying or going to college), is that the better move?

To me, it is IF (big if) you have Vaughn graded close to Adley...If its not close, you don't do that IMO.

Ok that makes some sense.

I'm strongly advocating Rutschman. 

I just don't think the rationale you're using to place a high value on position and organizational need, no matter who it is in support of, is a good strategy.  Organizational need is the most minute of factors in deciding who to take with the #1 pick.  It's very, very slightly more important than uniform number.  Less important than shoe size.

Maybe I have overstated what I am trying to convey. In this case I see it as a discriminator especially since there doesn't seem to be any area where Vaughan is rated higher than Adley.

#111 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,772 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 20 May 2019 - 11:37 PM

Among several strong candidates, Rutschman still seems like an easy pick.

--------

It's hard to leverage money in the draft like you could 10 years ago before the slotting system was implemented.  That doesn't mean you can't get other guys and use money you have to spend (why teams try and bank pool with College seniors in rds 6-10)...but the opportunities aren't the same as they used to be.

There still could be things you could do, even drafting Rutschman.

#112 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:57 AM

Rutschman just seems like too big of a slam dunk of an every day player to pass up, and drafting a catcher to grow with developing young pitching seems smart.
  • FFH and bmore_ken like this

#113 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:27 PM

MASN: A look at the O’s top draft pick with MLBPipeline.com’s Jonathan Mayo

https://www.masnspor...athan-mayo.html

#114 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:15 AM

MASN: https://www.masnspor...s-ever-had.html

Most recently, Elias has spent much of his time preparing for the upcoming draft. Not only do the Orioles have the No. 1 pick, but they also will select 42nd overall, and pick No. 71, No. 79 and No. 108 overall within the first four rounds.

The club’s bonus pool of $13.82 million is second only to Arizona’s $16.09 million.

So the day for the first pick is getting close, but Elias said the club’s decision on which player to select has not yet been made.

“We haven’t locked in, nor will we until later,” he said. “You know, we don’t have our scouts here yet and there is still information coming in. We are in the front office right now up there working on organizing the draft and the draft board and our information. We’re going to be kind of doing that day and night between now and the draft. Until we get all of our scouts in one room, until we have the conversations we need to have, until all the intel comes in, we won’t make a decision on that pick.”

#115 StephenCLoftus

StephenCLoftus

HOF

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:05 AM

BSL: Orioles 2019 Draft: Round 2 and Comp Round B

https://www.baltimor...iors-overslots/

• BSLChrisStoner and russsnyder like this

#116 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,355 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 23 May 2019 - 06:41 PM

Please stop drafting HS pitchers.

#117 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,616 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:17 PM

Our two best pitching prospects are high school pitchers from the 2017 and 2018 drafts respectively.

Just get the best talent possible.

• Mackus and FFH like this

#118 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:19 PM

This is a worse strategy suggestion than drafting for need :)
  • SportsGuy and BobPhelan like this

#119 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:24 PM

Our two best pitching prospects are high school pitchers from the 2017 and 2018 drafts respectively.

Just get the best talent possible.

Bobgif
  • BobPhelan and Mackus like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#120 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:45 PM

Kyle Glasser:

I asked a high-level evaluator about Adley Rutschman a few weeks ago. His assessment?

"Best player I’ve seen in 10 years. He’s same type of hitter as Kris Bryant but plays a better position. He's a better catcher than (Austin) Hedges."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=