#81 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 May 2019 - 03:35 PM

I have said it several times but the idea of drafting a C #1 worries me.  If he can move to another position and be good at it, that would be a big help.

#82 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 04:51 PM

I still don't agree with that thinking. Catcher is one of the few positions I would consider (along with SS, CF, and SP). Any position player who has to move off of one of the premiere defensive positions before even becoming a professional already has a major red flag compared to the athletes who can stay atop the defensive ladder.

#83 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 08 May 2019 - 05:25 PM

Draft whoever Keith Law likes.
  • JordanKough likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#84 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 08 May 2019 - 08:01 PM

I have no scouting ability whatsoever but I have been consuming a lot of content on the draft and from what I can tell is Rutschman is seen as a clear step above where Wieters was at the time he was drafted. Better defensively, better offensive numbers, and had a lot of success with wooden bats for the US (under 20?) team. I'm sure there is some 'newest, latest, best' going into that but everything I've heard says hes a slam dunk.

Elias is taking this very seriously and putting this squarely on his own shoulders so I trust that hes going to make the most educated pick possible.

#85 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 05:52 PM

FanGraphs: Mock Draft
https://blogs.fangra...mock-draft-2-0/

• Mackus likes this

#86 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 May 2019 - 07:11 PM

I won’t be super upset if you take a high ceiling bat not named Rutschman, save money and get other high end guys later.

#87 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 07:17 PM

I'll be very dubious, but I don't know enough about these guys to be in position to be upset about it.

#88 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 May 2019 - 07:18 PM

But Elias does and he has gone this path in the past.

Zero reason not to trust him.

#89 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 07:19 PM

FanGraphs: Mock Draft
https://blogs.fangra...mock-draft-2-0/

Anyone know how accurate past mocks like this have been in recent years? Specifically for the top few picks.

#90 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 07:24 PM

But Elias does and he has gone this path in the past.

Zero reason not to trust him.

Believe he had comp picks when he did though right?  Also, Adley seems to be a step above what most projected #1s have been for sometime. 

I went into the Spring hoping it would be Witt... but feels like it would pretty hard to pass on Adley at this point imo.

Bottomline here is the selection has to be a winner. Can't be Appel or Aiken here.

#91 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 07:26 PM

Aiken led directly to Bregman, so that worked out just fine eventually. But point is well taken. Would be a big bummer if this pick doesn't turn into at least a solid regular.

#92 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,875 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 01:17 PM

alex
2:15
You mentioned the possiblity of the O's not drafting Adley R. to save money on tougher signs.  Doesn't AZ have a lot of pool money and picks before the Os 2nd pick to scoop up these folks?   Any candidates  who  are worthy tough signs?

Keith Law
2:15
Lots of HS guys who'd be worth it but the O's can't set their hearts on any one guy, because of Arizona specifically.

#93 StephenCLoftus

StephenCLoftus

HOF

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 08:03 AM

BSL: Round 1 Pick 1: Rutschman, Witt...or Vaughn?

https://www.baltimor...an-witt-vaughn/

• BSLChrisStoner, Pedro Cerrano, Don Quixote and 1 other like this

#94 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 20 May 2019 - 08:55 AM

BSL: Round 1 Pick 1: Rutschman, Witt...or Vaughn?

https://www.baltimor...an-witt-vaughn/

Just a hunch, everyone seems to think it is Rutschman.

I think we are going to get a mild surprise.  Meaning one of the other 2.

• sandiegosean likes this
@mikeghg

#95 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:01 AM

Someone other than Rutschmann only makes sense if you can get them for well below slot and you can sign overslot guys with the next few picks.

Even if that's the case, I'd still make Rutschmann the pick.  I've heard enough about him that it feels like he is one of the no-doubter #1 overall picks, and those guys tend to be far safer bets with better overall value than the less consensus top choices.  Even if they really like Vaughn and have their eyes on multiple guys to go overslot on later, that still feels like a lot more risk to me than just taking Rutschmann.

• Hooded Viper likes this

#96 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:14 AM

Someone other than Rutschmann only makes sense if you can get them for well below slot and you can sign overslot guys with the next few picks.

Even if that's the case, I'd still make Rutschmann the pick.  I've heard enough about him that it feels like he is one of the no-doubter #1 overall picks, and those guys tend to be far safer bets with better overall value than the less consensus top choices.  Even if they really like Vaughn and have their eyes on multiple guys to go overslot on later, that still feels like a lot more risk to me than just taking Rutschmann.

Right. It's a risk to do it at 1.1 because you have no idea if or who the overslots available later will be.

@JeremyMStrain

#97 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:36 AM

I think it was Chris who made the point but its not like the O's are flush with comp picks and stuff like that.

They only have like 3 of the top 70ish picks.  Their next pick isn't until #42.  

So, what would you really be saving money for?

If you have Vaughn and Rutschman essentially 1 and 1a and you feel there could be more talent later, I am ok with the "cheaper"option.

But if Rutschman is a solid A+ and the next guy is a B+, you don't take the far lesser player for a chance to get a HSer that may drop.

#98 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:38 AM

Vaughn is built similarly to Goldschmidt.  I have to think he is the comp in people's minds.

#99 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,058 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:43 AM

After reading this I have to think its Adley.

1. Best rated player.

2. Vaughan is only going to play 1B/DH. But I think we already have that addressed with Mancini, Sisco, Mountcastle....etc.

3. Witt is only out of HS. 

I wouldn't mind a shot at Witt because of the position he plays but I will be unhappy if they went with Vaughan.

• weird-O likes this

#100 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:47 AM

After reading this I have to think its Adley.

1. Best rated player.

2. Vaughan is only going to play 1B/DH. But I think we already have that addressed with Mancini, Sisco, Mountcastle....etc.

3. Witt is only out of HS. 

I wouldn't mind a shot at Witt because of the position he plays but I will be unhappy if they went with Vaughan.

This is relatively meaningless if you think Vaughn is that good.

Mancini is likely gone...no idea what the future holds for Sisco.  Mountcastle can perhaps go to the OF...or maybe Vaughn himself can go to the OF.

This stuff gets worked out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=