• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

#121 BSLZachEisner

BSLZachEisner

Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 April 2022 - 05:25 PM

Hoping he can continue his hot start tonight!

#122 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 23 April 2022 - 04:17 PM

According to Statcast, Bruce Zimmermann has struck out 10 batters on his changeup this season, tied for the most in the majors with Seattle’s Marco Gonzales and the Mets' Carlos Carrasco. #orioles staff has 37 strikeouts on off-speed pitches, 2nd to the Mets' 40.

#123 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 29 April 2022 - 07:55 AM

Orioles.com: Unpacking Zimmermann's '22 transformation into budding ace

#124 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 29 April 2022 - 07:59 AM

Slow down on the "budding ace" language
  • Mackus likes this

#125 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 29 April 2022 - 08:07 AM

Slow down on the "budding ace" language

Yeah, I don't think that needs to be said.  If you end the year believing he belongs in a ML rotation, that's a big win.  
Enjoying his start right now, and he's definitely showing he belongs somewhere on a roster.  

For anyone that hasn't read Zach's article on Bruce, take a read. Merged into this thread on Page 6.

• BSLZachEisner likes this

#126 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 29 April 2022 - 08:35 AM

Hes showing a pitch mix that will play as a ML starter. Encouraged by his performance so far. Not a waiting for him to turn into a pumpkin situation

#127 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 29 April 2022 - 11:03 AM

Hes showing a pitch mix that will play as a ML starter. Encouraged by his performance so far. Not a waiting for him to turn into a pumpkin situation

Yep. It's kinda like I said in the Santander thread yesterday, adjustments will get made both ways, so we'll see how things go, but he's got a few pitches, and mixes them well. There's more than one way to pitch, don't have to blow 101 past guys with an 80mph curve.

Just enjoying watching how it goes, it's kinda like Means, no one was expecting much there either, but some guys just go do it. Jamie Moyer had a pretty fantastic career and no one ever picked him to dominate things.

@JeremyMStrain

#128 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 29 April 2022 - 11:44 AM

I think we need to frame what we're talking about.

If its "can Zimmerman be a back-end starter" then I think there is a chance.

If its "can Zimmerman be  a front-end starter" then I think he's got very long odds. 

20 good innings doesn't really change a guy's outlook.  If it it did, Mike Wright would be a #2 starter.  He had 60 passable innings last year.  I'd like to see him double that or more while improving the performance before I think there is much here.  Good news for him is that management couldn't give half a crap about this year's team, so the opportunity for him is wide open.  Its not like they're going to acquire guys that bump him out of the rotation.  Take the ball and show us what you can do.

#129 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 29 April 2022 - 11:58 AM

I think we need to frame what we're talking about.

If its "can Zimmerman be a back-end starter" then I think there is a chance.

If its "can Zimmerman be  a front-end starter" then I think he's got very long odds. 

20 good innings doesn't really change a guy's outlook.  If it it did, Mike Wright would be a #2 starter.  He had 60 passable innings last year.  I'd like to see him double that or more while improving the performance before I think there is much here.  Good news for him is that management couldn't give half a crap about this year's team, so the opportunity for him is wide open.  Its not like they're going to acquire guys that bump him out of the rotation.  Take the ball and show us what you can do.

Right. I think he's shown he's got the tools to stick somewhere in the ML. Back of the rotation. Long RP. Something for sure. He'd have to keep beating the odds for quite a while before I'm ready to talk about top of the rotation, but who knows, it's been done. We all probably said the same thing about Means when he came up.

For pitchers once they've been around the league enough for there to be a more thorough scouting report than the loose stuff they get from the minors, and they start seeing teams a 2nd time is when you see the adjustments start to really take hold.

It's almost a catch 22, the better they do early, means more PA against specific hitters, which means they can adjust faster. The guys where they only see them once in a game, and then once again a month later take a longer time for hitters to get a real plan against them. It's part of the strategy of how to hide rule 5 guys in the long RP pen roles. If they were in heavy pen rotation and guys were seeing them 2-3x in a series every series, it's a lot different than seeing them once one series, and maybe not again for two more series a couple months later. The key will just be how does Bruce adjust and change when the hitters do, but the more pitches you have the better your odds there.

@JeremyMStrain

#130 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 08 May 2022 - 08:23 AM

Balt Sun: Orioles Q&A: Bruce Zimmermann used rookie season injury to improve changeup, get off to strong start in 2022

• BSLZachEisner likes this

#131 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 15 May 2022 - 08:33 AM

Balt Sun: Bruce Zimmermann’s quality start wasted by Orioles’ anemic offense in 3-0 loss to Tigers

#132 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 16 May 2022 - 11:05 AM

Another pretty decent game for Zimmerman. I am getting more and more hopeful that he may be a rotation piece for the next good O's team. 

#133 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 04 June 2022 - 10:06 AM

Balt SunBruce Zimmermann’s struggles continue as Orioles drop series opener to Guardians, 6-3

#134 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 04 June 2022 - 01:32 PM

The worm has turned.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#135 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 04 June 2022 - 02:02 PM

I wonder if teams are getting enough tape on him now that his lack of velocity is an issue.?

#136 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 12 June 2022 - 09:27 AM

Balt Sun: Orioles starter Bruce Zimmermann felt he was tipping pitches. The fixes haven’t been easy to adopt.

#137 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 June 2022 - 10:38 AM

It isn’t a tipping pitches issue. It’s a stuff and being able to throw to the corners issue. Stuff isn’t good enough, and on top of that he throws way too many hittable-with-strong-contact strikes. The silver lining is he’s “pitch efficient”. Someone compared him to Jordan Lyles yesterday. Good comparison, that’s his upside IMO.

#138 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 12 June 2022 - 11:17 AM

It isn’t a tipping pitches issue. It’s a stuff and being able to throw to the corners issue. Stuff isn’t good enough, and on top of that he throws way too many hittable-with-strong-contact strikes. The silver lining is he’s “pitch efficient”. Someone compared him to Jordan Lyles yesterday. Good comparison, that’s his upside IMO.

Compare his changeup in his first batch of starts to when he has struggled. Thats the difference IMO, he needs to get that back. Guy like him it can be a fine line when you don't have great stuff to fall back on when you lose a pitch.

• You Play to Win the Game and makoman like this

#139 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 12 June 2022 - 12:05 PM

It's definitely possible IMO he was tipping pitches. Even guys with fringey stuff shouldn't allow 9 HR in 10 innings, if you combine tipping with lackluster stuff that's a recipe for disaster.

Like Bob said he needs his changeup back, some guys might be able to work around missing their best pitch but he's the type of guy that needs everything going for him.

• BobPhelan likes this

#140 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 16 June 2022 - 12:38 PM

Back to AAA.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=