#21 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 09 December 2018 - 09:29 PM

The good news, though, is that a lot of guys on the current ballot just had their HoF credentials validated even more than before.
@DJ_McCann

#22 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,715 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 09:40 PM

Lee Smith and Harold Baines.

Yep. And it's sad that they will use someone like Harold Baines--who deserves to be celebrated for who he WAS as a ballplayer, not denigrated for his flaws--to make that point

Lee Smith and Harold Baines had awesome careers.   Baines was a terrific hitter with a gorgeous swing, and before his knee injuries was more of an all-around player...   but HOF?  Wow. 

#23 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 09 December 2018 - 09:45 PM

What a joke! How the hell did Harold Baines get this level of support?

#24 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,715 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 09:46 PM

Bonds
Clemens
Schilling
Mussina
Sheffield
Ramirez
E. Martinez
Rivera
Halladay
Walker

I didn't look at things closely this year, but I imagine my 10 would look something like above.  

#25 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,715 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 09:50 PM

Rather shocked Harold Baines was elected, but between Pat Gillick Tony La Russa, Jerry Reinsdorf, he had three voters out of 16 voters who were connected to his career and no doubt made a case for him

#26 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,715 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 09:52 PM

Smith received all 16 votes from the Today's Game committee, Baines 12. Lou Piniella missed by one vote, receiving 11/16. All seven of the other candidates received fewer than five votes.

#27 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,715 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 09:53 PM

FanGraphs: A Quick Refresher on the 2019 Today’s Game Ballot

#28 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 09 December 2018 - 10:20 PM

Baines & Lee Smith are in the Hall, but Pete Rose, Barry Bonds, & Roger Clemens aren't.

A bit odd. 

• tennOsfan likes this
@beginthebegin71

#29 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 December 2018 - 11:19 PM

It’s become a joke. There is no credibility anymore.

#30 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,875 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 09:47 AM

Baines was a really good player and a classy guy, but, geez, I'm not sure he was any better than Ken Singleton.

#31 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 10 December 2018 - 10:14 AM

Joe Posnanski: The Baines Vote

[Al] Oliver is representative of a long, long list of players who have been passed over time and sure seem to have at least as good a case as Baines. The list would include, but not be limited to: Ted Simmons, Tony Oliva, Minnie Minoso, Dick Allen, Johnny Damon, Vada Pinson, Rusty Staub, Dave Parker, Steve Garvey, Willie Davis, Dale Murphy, Buddy Bell, Dwight Evans, John Olerud, Ken Boyer, Bernie Williams, Jim Edmonds, Lou Whitaker, Jack Clark, Thurman Munson, Kenny Lofton, Gil Hodges, Rocky Colavito, Maury Wills and (as the line from every greatest hits album commercial goes) many more!

@DJ_McCann

#32 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,875 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 10:19 AM

Rather shocked Harold Baines was elected, but between Pat Gillick Tony La Russa, Jerry Reinsdorf, he had three voters out of 16 voters who were connected to his career and no doubt made a case for him

Also Roberto Alomar and Tim Kurkjian (and Marylander John Schuerholz).

#33 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 10 December 2018 - 12:28 PM

Was shocked to see the news about Smith and Baines  on the ticker last night.  I kept thinking that it couldn't be right and then I just figured it was for the College Baseball Hall of Fame (is there even one?) or something like that, not the real deal.

#34 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 10 December 2018 - 05:37 PM

Lee Smith is fine for me. Baines seems pretty poor. That said, 2,866 hits and some argument/belief  that DH's need to be represented (and are perhaps undervalued by WAR etc.) made me think about it for a minute. Still, just doesn't pass. 

#35 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 December 2018 - 05:47 PM

Well, if Baines is in, Edgar better damn sure get in this year.

• CA-ORIOLE likes this

#36 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 10 December 2018 - 05:53 PM

Well, if Baines is in, Edgar better damn sure get in this year.

Yeah, he has generally been the primary case for the argument. 

#37 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,875 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 06:05 PM

Yeah, I guess I can see people thinking that if they want to vote Edgar in, then Baines also deserves it, since Baines has more hits, homers, RBI, etc.  But Edgar was way better than Baines - he just had a shorter career.

I guess I'm OK with Smith.  I feel about closers in the MLB HOF like I do about kickers in the NFL HOF.  I think the very best should be in, but you need to be really freaking good.  I'm not sure Smith quite meets that standard, but he's close enough that I'm not too worried.  It's not like they elected Chip Lohmiller.

• mweb08 likes this

#38 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 06:47 PM

Lee Smith is fine for me. Baines seems pretty poor. That said, 2,866 hits and some argument/belief that DH's need to be represented (and are perhaps undervalued by WAR etc.) made me think about it for a minute. Still, just doesn't pass.

I mean if you're just going to look at hits (I know you don't), then he has a case even though he didn't hit the magic number, but it's not just that he doesn't pass, he doesn't even belong on the discussion.

Lee Smith is questionable, but he's someone I've supported at times, so I'm not upset at it.

#39 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 10 December 2018 - 06:57 PM

I mean if you're just going to look at hits (I know you don't), then he has a case even though he didn't hit the magic number, but it's not just that he doesn't pass, he doesn't even belong on the discussion.

Lee Smith is questionable, but he's someone I've supported at times, so I'm not upset at it.

Agree. I don't see it either (Baines), but he does at least give me some pause for the reasons I cited. I hope that kind of profile isn't a trend, but there are worse players in the HOF.  

#40 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 07:34 PM

Agree. I don't see it either (Baines), but he does at least give me some pause for the reasons I cited. I don't agree with it at and I hope tht kind of profile isn't a trend, but there are worse players in the HOF.

Unfortunately there are worse players in the Hall, although probably not many, and most, if not all of them were elected by veteran's committees.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=