#81 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 21 July 2019 - 12:57 PM

Well... even if I don't think he should be in the HOF, he had one of the most beautiful swings of all time. Before his knees were gone (fairly early in his career), he was supposedly a strong all-around guy.

Sure, he was very good and I liked him lot, same with Markakis. It's just absurd to even discuss these types of players for the Hall of Fame, let alone have them enshrined.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#82 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 03:44 PM

It’d be bad if Baines got in by the writers vote. But I don’t have a problem with the Eras Committee putting him in. He’s not taking a spot someone else deserved at that point. The committee is made up of people in the HOF, execs, veteran writers chosen by the HOF. If people in the HOF want Baines, or anyone for that matter, in the HOF with them, I’m not gonna be mad about it. It’s their Hall of Fame.
@BSLMikeRandall

#83 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 03:52 PM

It’d be bad if Baines got in by the writers vote. But I don’t have a problem with the Eras Committee putting him in. He’s not taking a spot someone else deserved at that point. The committee is made up of people in the HOF, execs, veteran writers chosen by the HOF. If people in the HOF want Baines, or anyone for that matter, in the HOF with them, I’m not gonna be mad about it. It’s their Hall of Fame.

Well not surprisingly, I'll be mad at it. These veterans committees are consistently horrendous. It really seems that a fair amount of their choices are favors to guys that that like, which is not how this should work, at least if it's to be taken seriously in anyway whatsoever.

#84 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 08:05 AM

Well not surprisingly, I'll be mad at it. These veterans committees are consistently horrendous. It really seems that a fair amount of their choices are favors to guys that that like, which is not how this should work, at least if it's to be taken seriously in anyway whatsoever.

I don't know. Consistently horrendous seems like a stretch. Morris and Trammell before this year, same boat as Baines. Before that there were years that no one got the vote. Before that it took the Veterans Committee to elect Bobby Cox, Joe Torre, and Tony La Russa which are no brainers.

9 of the 16 voters on the Eras Committee are in the HOF as players, managers, or execs. 4 are current MLB execs, and 3 are senior baseball writers that will probably be in the HOF. These guys are in the inner circle, and if they want to elect guys to be along side them in the hall, that they know better than the stat heads and the ordinary beat writers, I'm fine with it. Probably going to be up to this committee to elect Bonds, Clemens, etc in.

@BSLMikeRandall

#85 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 11:02 AM

I don't know. Consistently horrendous seems like a stretch. Morris and Trammell before this year, same boat as Baines. Before that there were years that no one got the vote. Before that it took the Veterans Committee to elect Bobby Cox, Joe Torre, and Tony La Russa which are no brainers.

9 of the 16 voters on the Eras Committee are in the HOF as players, managers, or execs. 4 are current MLB execs, and 3 are senior baseball writers that will probably be in the HOF. These guys are in the inner circle, and if they want to elect guys to be along side them in the hall, that they know better than the stat heads and the ordinary beat writers, I'm fine with it. Probably going to be up to this committee to elect Bonds, Clemens, etc in.

The vast majority of the most egregious selections are from these committees. These are the enshrines that hurt the respectability of the establishment.

I don't care much about the selection of managers, but yes, they do occasionally get some right like Trammel (not Morris), but they mess up too frequently and their process seems too flawed for them to be worth having around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=