#61 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:14 AM

Sounds amazing.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#62 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 31 July 2018 - 03:53 PM

Anyone ever been to Quebec City?

Things to do, food, attractions, any recommendations?

#63 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 03:55 PM

No but I want to go so bad.

Anthony Bourdain had a good episode in Quebec on Parts Unknown, and he went to QC too. There was a cool looking restaurant there where they cooked on an old electric over and stovetop...the same one I used to have. Looked kinda hipsterish but I'm guessing most places are there.

How are you thinking about getting there?
  • Chris B likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#64 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 31 July 2018 - 04:07 PM

No but I want to go so bad.

Anthony Bourdain had a good episode in Quebec on Parts Unknown, and he went to QC too. There was a cool looking restaurant there where they cooked on an old electric over and stovetop...the same one I used to have. Looked kinda hipsterish but I'm guessing most places are there.

How are you thinking about getting there?

We're flying up, with a layover in Toronto. We leave on Saturday and will be there for a week.

It's a big family vacation for my fiancee's grandfather who celebrates his 80th birthday this year. He's always wanted to go to QC, so the entire family (aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.) is going up. I believe they booked a huge house that sleeps 25+ in a ski resort area about a half hour north of the city. 

I know next to nothing about the city/region other than the 10 minutes of research I've done online. 

#65 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 05:26 PM

Never been but I’ll look into some stuff. Sounds like a fun trip. Wish my family did that.
  • Chris B likes this

#66 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 09:25 AM

L’Affaire est Ketchup is the restaurant I was thinking about, where they cook everything on a four burner stove and electric oven.

Le Continental for an old fashioned upscale dining experience.

iX pour Bistro is the #1 rated restaurant on Trip Advisor and looks great.

Chez Victor for poutine. Shit that place looks awesome.

Damn. Super jelly now.

• Chris B likes this

#67 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 03:22 PM

The place itself is the attraction... stroll around, see old stuff, and be charmed by it all... find the local artists' street displays, pick up something good for cheap, it'll not only improve the wall you hang it on, it will also provide a good story when somebody asks about it...

Lots of good hole-in-wall places to eat...

• Chris B likes this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#68 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 03:33 PM

The place itself is the attraction... stroll around, see old stuff, and be charmed by it all... find the local artists' street displays, pick up something good for cheap, it'll not only improve the wall you hang it on, it will also provide a good story when somebody asks about it...

Lots of good hole-in-wall places to eat...

Little kids there are pretty smart... just 3 or 4 years old and they can speak French   :-)

When I was there I'd find excuses to chat-up local artists who had a babe factor... I wasn't trying anything with them, I just wanted to bask in the glow of their pretty faces speaking with charming French accents...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#69 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 02:34 PM

Anybody ever been to Budapest? 

#70 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 08:00 PM

Anybody ever been to Budapest?

2009 so I bet a bunch has changed in terms of bars and restaurants, but I think Menza is still around last time I checked. It was my favorite meal there. Any questions in particular?

Not sure if the catacombs are still open but they were one of the coolest things I’ve done in Europe. Basically wandering through catacombs with a gas lamp. It closed a year or two after I went but they may have reopened.

Anyway, awesome city! Sounds like it’s only gotten cooler since I’ve been too. Definitely go to one of their baths!

#71 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 08:15 PM

2009 so I bet a bunch has changed in terms of bars and restaurants, but I think Menza is still around last time I checked. It was my favorite meal there. Any questions in particular?

Not sure if the catacombs are still open but they were one of the coolest things I’ve done in Europe. Basically wandering through catacombs with a gas lamp. It closed a year or two after I went but they may have reopened.

Anyway, awesome city! Sounds like it’s only gotten cooler since I’ve been too. Definitely go to one of their baths!

Spending 4 full days there next month, just looking around for some suggestions and ideas of what to do. Already had the thermal baths and the ruin bars earmarked for some time - but pretty open for anything else outside of that. Maybe a day trip out of the area.

Will keep Menza in mind when planning for food and I'll have to look into the catacombs. Thanks!

Edit: Spending time in Ukraine and Romania leading up to the trip to Hungary

#72 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 08:27 PM

Sweet. Unfortunately I was in Budapest for just two nights so I barely scratched the surface. Not sure about day trips but Vienna is a relatively short train ride from Budapest. Fisherman’s Bastion is worth checking out for views, and the castle and fortress (where catacombs are located). Definitely ride the metro, especially the millennium line. Think it may be the oldest mainland europe metro line that still runs today.

#73 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 10:34 AM

Sicily was one of my favorite trips. So amazing in so many different aspects. Great food, people, scenery, etc. Driving, however, was absolutely insane, especially in towns and cities. The Godfather tour I went on was one of the best days of my life. I got to visit several filming locations including Don Tommasino's palazzo, which is not for public visitation (you have to book a tour with someone who knows the owner of the castle), and got a personal tour from the owner, which is a Baron and whose family has owned the castle for centuries. I even sat in the chair that Michael Corleone died in and reenacted it. Just so cool.

• SportsGuy likes this

#74 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 September 2018 - 10:36 AM

Sicily was one of my favorite trips. So amazing in so many different aspects. Great food, people, scenery, etc. Driving, however, was absolutely insane, especially in towns and cities. The Godfather tour I went on was one of the best days of my life. I got to visit several filming locations including Don Tommasino's palazzo, which is not for public visitation (you have to book a tour with someone who knows the owner of the castle), and got a personal tour from the owner, which is a Baron and whose family has owned the castle for centuries. I even sat in the chair that Michael Corleone died in and reenacted it. Just so cool.

So jealous.  Would love to go there and do that tour.

#75 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 10:42 AM

So jealous.  Would love to go there and do that tour.

Trying to post the video, but it's too big.

#76 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 September 2018 - 10:48 AM

Trying to post the video, but it's too big.

Asking too much to have you email it to me?  

#77 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 13 September 2018 - 10:48 AM

Vegas next week. 

Chapel Hill, then Montego Bay, next February. 

Hey, it's somethin'. LOL

#78 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 10:55 AM

Asking too much to have you email it to me?  

Check your BSL inbox.

#79 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 September 2018 - 10:59 AM

Vegas next week. 

Hey, it's somethin'. LOL

Sounds awful  :)

#80 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 13 September 2018 - 11:20 AM

Vegas next week. 

Hey, it's somethin'. LOL

Did I offend you enough that you picked Jamaica over Bahamas?

@fuzydunlop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=