#101 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 01:30 PM

Bite your tongue!

Been there once. Never felt the need to go back.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#102 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 26 November 2018 - 09:43 PM

Anyone done an all inclusive honeymoon in the Caribbean?

I know that doesn’t really narrow the options down much at all, but any insights/rec’s appreciated.

#103 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,543 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 26 November 2018 - 09:49 PM

Headed to Atlanta this weekend

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#104 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,756 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 09:59 PM

Just booked a long weekend in New Orleans. Just my wife and I going. We've traveled a ton internationally, but this will be the first domestic trip we've ever done just the two of us. Kind of weird. Anyways, I plan to eat about 6000 calories a day.
  • BSLChrisStoner, mweb08, Chris B and 1 other like this

#105 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 26 November 2018 - 10:07 PM

Just booked a long weekend in New Orleans. Just my wife and I going. We've traveled a ton internationally, but this will be the first domestic trip we've ever done just the two of us. Kind of weird. Anyways, I plan to eat about 6000 calories a day.

Fantastic. When are you going and where are you staying?

#106 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,756 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 10:16 PM

2nd weekend in December. Staying in the French Quarter.

#107 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 10:24 PM

I’m going to Munich in a couple weeks. Pretty stoked. I know we’re gonna take a train to Austria for a day. Salzburg I think.
  • BSLChrisStoner and mweb08 like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#108 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 10:30 PM

2nd weekend in December. Staying in the French Quarter.

Good deal. I know you've been and plenty has been said on here about New Orleans, so you're probably good on advice, but I'm always game to talk more about one of my favorite cities.

Also, there's a chance that Kelly will be going back next year.

#109 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 06:23 AM

Headed to Atlanta this weekend

Going to the game?
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#110 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 06:24 AM

I’m ready for another NOLA trip myself. When I go back I’ll be skipping FQ though. Or at the very least, Bourbon Street.

#111 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:21 AM

I’m going to Munich in a couple weeks. Pretty stoked. I know we’re gonna take a train to Austria for a day. Salzburg I think.

That’s the area I lived when I was younger. You will love it.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#112 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,543 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 27 November 2018 - 11:00 AM

Going to the game?

Yup. 

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#113 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,756 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 11:04 AM

Good deal. I know you've been and plenty has been said on here about New Orleans, so you're probably good on advice, but I'm always game to talk more about one of my favorite cities.

Also, there's a chance that Kelly will be going back next year.

I'd love to hear your recommendations.  I've been once before on my bachelor party, so I did a lot of bourbon street drinking, so don't need to focus on that this trip.  I've spent a little bit of time at the music joints on Frenchman Street and wandering around the massive houses on Magazine street, both of which we'll hit again.  This trip will be more culture and food centered like that, rather than a drink-em-up.  I think we're gonna visit the aquarium.  No other ideas yet.

#114 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 27 November 2018 - 11:09 AM

Port of Call and Jacques-Imos are the *musts* for me.  Cochon Butcher (and the adjacent sandwich joint Butcher) are fantastic.  I saw Mike Ehrmantraut there.

@fuzydunlop

#115 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 09:27 PM

Willie Mae's is probably my favorite fried chicken ever.

Parkway Bakery and Tavern is a great and historic place for po-boys.

For more upscale dining, Shaya was an incredible Israeli place, but the head chef has since left and started a new place called Saba.

Urban South Brewery has good beer and has a great, fun space with lots of games to play. Somewhat nearby NOLA Brewery is also a good spot as is The Courtyard Brewery.

Frenchmen is of course tremendous for jazz, but I'd strongly recommend Preservation Hall as well (reserve tickets im advance). Bullet's Sports Bar (featured on Treme) is a great authentic neighborhood jazz place in a not so great area, but it's perfectly safe to take a Lyft there.

You mentioned the aquarium, it's good, but not as good as the one here. I have yet to visit, but the WWII museum is supposed to be tremendous.

#116 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 09:29 PM

Kelly and I will be going back to Asheville with some friends in March. Love that place!

#117 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,756 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 09:52 AM

Got back from New Orleans last night.  We had about 2 1/2 days there.

Stayed almost exclusively in the French Quarter.  Had dreams of venturing out further across the city, but really wasn't tons of time given we were only there a short time, so we stayed close and tried to do as deep a dive as we could of a smaller area.

We visited the WWII museum and the aquarium.  The museum was overwhelming.  Really incredible collection.  Was there for about 4 hours and felt like we barely scratched the surface.  We went through all the exhibits but didn't really stop and take in everything, simply was too much to see.  Really powerful museum.  The aquarium is a very nice aquarium, Baltimore's is better, but there were really good exhibits and was well worth the time, plus I just really enjoy aquariums so don't need much of an excuse to visit a new one, it was one of the better ones I've been to.

Went to Frenchman street for music twice, hopped around to a couple different venues each night (repeating at the Spotted Cat).  Exactly what I was hoping for.  Also happened to be a large brass band of kids playing outside as we were walking back one of the nights which was great.

Tried to get in at Commanders Palace for lunch but it was booked full.  So we ate exclusively within the French Quarter.  Best meal we had was at Mr. B's restaurant.  The BBQ shrimp there was the best thing I had all week.  Their gumbo was also my favorite that I had anywhere.  Another great meal at Mr Ed's our first night in town, I had blackened redfish with crawfish etouffee which was fantastic.  My wife got fried catfish with red beans & rice.  Was a nice jump straight into the type of cajun and creole food I wanted to eat all weekend as soon as we arrived.  We got po boys, charbroiled oysters, muffaletta, and beignets.  I think I crossed off everything on my list I wanted to eat with the exception of a crawfish boil. 

Can't wait to go back. 

• mweb08 and NewMarketSean like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=