116 replies to this topic

#21 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 02 April 2018 - 11:15 PM

Not quite a vacation, but in July I'm going back to Alaska with the same non-profit I went there with in 2016 to document their expedition on video. Last time we were on the Kenai Peninsula. This time will be to the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. Yeah, I'm stoked.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#22 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:09 AM

Just booked a 2-week trip to Europe.

Gonna spend ~5 days in England with my wife's sister and her family who live there.

Then we're gonna fly to Genoa and spend 2-3 days at Cinque Terre.

Then we head to Pallanza for a week to attend my sister's wedding, she's getting married at a villa on Lake Maggiore.

Flights were very expensive.  But I'm real excited, should be an amazing trip, and a ton of my extended family is going to be there for the whole week so it should be great.

#23 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:19 AM

Going to Brazil this weekend for 7 days.  Rio baby

• BSLChrisStoner, Mackus and NewMarketSean like this

@fuzydunlop

#24 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:35 AM

Gonna spend ~5 days in England with my wife's sister and her family who live there.

Then we head to Pallanza for a week to attend my sister's wedding, she's getting married at a villa on Lake Maggiore.

Flights were very expensive.  But I'm real excited, should be an amazing trip, and a ton of my extended family is going to be there for the whole week so it should be great.

About to pull the trigger on Sicily for early September. Flying out of Newark through Rome. $544 pp...

Just sucks that the week before we leave we have a wedding to attend in Long Island, so I will be driving up there two weekends in a row.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#25 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:39 AM

10-year anniversary, and it looks like we aren't going anywhere until next year. Work/life is just getting in the way. 

I still wanna do Jamaica or T&C, though. 

#26 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,875 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:43 AM

I was just in the Cinque Terre last year.  I'd recommend making a dinner reservation at the Ristorante Belforte in Vernazza.  Awesome views, and the food was really good, too.  The trains are great there, so Vernazza is easy to get to, even if you're not staying there.  We just e-mailed them to make a reservation.

http://www.ristorant...-restaurant.php

#27 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:53 AM

10-year anniversary, and it looks like we aren't going anywhere until next year. Work/life is just getting in the way. 

If its a choice between the two, I'd pick Turks.  Much safer there.

@fuzydunlop

#28 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 12 April 2018 - 05:46 PM

Similar to the trip I made to Italy two summers ago, right down to my sister's wedding. They got married in Verona at an agriturismo farm in the hills at the north end of the city. I made it to Lago di Garda for a day as well....that part of Italy is gorgeous, if a bit crowded with vacationers (this was mid-July). Enjoy!

#29 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 12 April 2018 - 05:49 PM

Mack, in response to your cheap deal site, this one kicks ass too. He finds deals for destinations through additional connections (that you obvi don’t have to take).

https://skiplagged.com

@fuzydunlop

#30 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 April 2018 - 06:28 PM

My wife and I are in the same boat.. 5 year is tomorrow. Wanted to go away, just couldn’t make it happen.

Hoping for our 10 year that we end up back in Moorea and Bora Bora, where we had our honeymoon.

#31 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:02 PM

Flights were very expensive. But I'm real excited, should be an amazing trip, and a ton of my extended family is going to be there for the whole week so it should be great.

When are you going to CT? I’ll be there in early June.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#32 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:21 PM

When are you going to CT? I’ll be there in early June.

Little bit later. Probably around the 20th.

#33 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 05:08 PM

Just booked Sicily.

I need to rewatch The Godfather movies to celebrate. I’ve already checked and Bar Vitelli is still there and the sign is still up. I’ll send pics.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#34 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:52 AM

Not 2018 but next year I think I've narrowed down my 40th birthday trip to Buenos Aires, Mendoza wine country and Santiago & wine country. Probably do two weeks total. I'd love to go to Patagonia but I need to look into how much time and money that'll add to it.

#35 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:52 AM

Not 2018 but next year I think I've narrowed down my 40th birthday trip to Buenos Aires, Mendoza wine country and Santiago & wine country. Probably do two weeks total. I'd love to go to Patagonia but I need to look into how much time and money that'll add to it.

You're really good at this....

Do you have map up on the wall with colored pins in every place you've been?

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#36 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:16 AM

You're really good at this....

Do you have map up on the wall with colored pins in every place you've been?

Thanks.

No, I used to keep an up to date interactive map on Trip Advisor with pins on it but I've slacked off on that.

I needed to go to a new continent. After Sicily I will have been to Europe 9 times. I wanted to do Singapore and Thailand, but I'm still having trouble getting my head around a 25 hour flight.

#37 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:52 AM

Thanks.

No, I used to keep an up to date interactive map on Trip Advisor with pins on it but I've slacked off on that.

I needed to go to a new continent. After Sicily I will have been to Europe 9 times. I wanted to do Singapore and Thailand, but I'm still having trouble getting my head around a 25 hour flight.

I flew to China.... twice....

The 1st time was in coach.... that flight just proved that I can put up with anything for 20 hours.... at least I had a seat with nothing in front of it for several feet...

The 2nd time, the national Chinese university outfit wanted me to come give a talk ... I explained I was too big (6'8") to fit in coach, but I could come if they paid for 1st class/biz class/whatever... much to my amazement, they said OK, I should get the several-thousand dollar ticket, and they would reimburse me...

Which they did once I got there.. by taking me into a small room and handing me an envelop full of crisp, new $100 bills... they took whatever I told them the flight cost, rounded up the next $100, and that's what was in the envelope...

I thought "Damn, I should've told them I couldn't fly but could take an ocean liner"...    :wink:

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#38 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:23 PM

Thanks.

Thailand is, by far, the best place I've ever visited.  I can't more highly recommend it.  If it was up to me and not mostly up to my wife, every vacation we take we would go back.

Flights there were 14 and 7 hours.  Return were 5 and 12. Connected through Tokyo.  It's a shitty day, but totally worth it.  Let me know if you ever pull the trigger or if you want some help convincing yourself to do so.

#39 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:54 PM

Thailand is, by far, the best place I've ever visited.  I can't more highly recommend it.  If it was up to me and not mostly up to my wife, every vacation we take we would go back.

Flights there were 14 and 7 hours.  Return were 5 and 12. Connected through Tokyo.  It's a shitty day, but totally worth it.  Let me know if you ever pull the trigger or if you want some help convincing yourself to do so.

I'll get there, and probably soon. When I was thinking about doing it, I purposefully stayed away because I knew you'd talk me into it.

Argentina has been on my list for a long time, so I am excited to go there.

• Mackus likes this

#40 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 18 May 2018 - 04:24 PM

Rio was great Sean, you should go there as well.  NYC with great beaches and much better weather.

@fuzydunlop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=