Photo

Yahoo: UNC's widening academic scandal could be..

• Please log in to reply
198 replies to this topic

#61 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:00 PM

Jay Bilas on his Roy Williams interview for ESPN's Outside The Lines: "I have known Roy Williams for a long time. I have known him not only to be a coach, but a man, of the highest integrity. So I find him to be credible and I believe what he is saying..."

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@beginthebegin71

#62 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:44 PM

Lol. Bilas is quickly becoming this generations Vitale.

He'll fellate any and all coaches.

#63 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:52 PM

Maybe a compromise would be to create a whole new curriculum for athletes who aren't interested in a traditional college education. Instead of a Bachelor or Arts or Sciences, they could develop a Bachelor of Athletics. The athletes that pursue it would earn credits by participating in their chosen sport, but could also have a class or two each semester in subjects that would be more practical for them; like nutrition, basic physiology, money management, etc. If they complete it, they would still have something they could apply to their lives whether they go professional or not, but their degree would be more indicative of the actual work they put in to earn it while they were in college. And in no way would that preclude the athlete who wants the B.A. or B.S. from enrolling in one of those degree programs, it's just an alternative for those who don't.

How about this for a compromise. We create a new form of scholarship. Athletes that get this scholarship receive the following for each year they have this scholarship:

1) Free tuition, room and board while they are playing

2) A scholarship for an additional year after they stop playing equal to the amount of tuition, room and board when they did play.

If the player leaves then he would be eligible to use that money in the future for educational purposes.The player would have to go to the University he played at provided it offers his program of study to be eligible for the scholarship.

The player that goes to school for four years could use this scholarship to get his MBA or go to Grad School. The player that doesn't want a college degree could take this scholarship to go to Trade School and learn a Trade. Since most Universities don't offer a Plumbing Major said player could take that money to pay for that.  

A player wants to study in college while playing he can. If a player doesn't want to study in college but wants to after he's done playing sports then he can do that also. And if a player isn't interested in college then he can use that money to get training in something that he wants to do.

#64 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:54 PM

You think Bilas has a hard time speaking his mind? He gives his opinions - which always happen to be among the most intelligent, and informed to be found imo.

Bilas has his own credibility.

#65 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:00 PM

http://mrsec.com/201...ave-been-fired/

@levineps

#66 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:35 PM

Yeah, after there is hard evidence.

He'll do the same thing after they find the smoking gun on Roy.

#67 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:46 PM

I think there were 17 former Tar Heels at the interview. It was awesome to see all the support.

I have a ton of respect for Bilas, Dookie or not. :)

@beginthebegin71

#68 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:56 PM

Blind homerism. No different than at Penn St. At least this isn't close to as bad in the grand scheme of things.

#69 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:16 PM

Yeah, after there is hard evidence.

He'll do the same thing after they find the smoking gun on Roy.

You said any coach, now you're changing your tune. You're wrong!

@levineps

#70 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:21 PM

You said any coach, now you're changing your tune. You're wrong!

Not at all, Webby.

#71 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:57 PM

Blind homerism. No different than at Penn St. At least this isn't close to as bad in the grand scheme of things.

Yea, good comparison.

• SportsGuy likes this
@beginthebegin71

#72 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:19 PM

Yea, good comparison.

Well, they are both college institutions on the east coast.

#73 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:22 PM

Blind homerism is blind homerism. JoePA was much more highly thought of and respected than Roy anyway. So yeah, its not the greatest comparison.

#74 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:28 PM

Well, they are both college institutions on the east coast.

Blind homerism is blind homerism. JoePA was much more highly thought of and respected than Roy anyway. So yeah, its not the greatest comparison.

Great point B, glad you're here.

@beginthebegin71

#75 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:33 PM

Not sure Seth is being blind....he's pointing out that McCants may not be the best source.

However, as is the case with anyone and in any situation when you don't know all the facts, people will want to believe that their favorite team/player/coach did the right thing.

No one on here is different.

#76 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:37 PM

Not sure Seth is being blind....he's pointing out that McCants may not be the best source.

However, as is the case with anyone and in any situation when you don't know all the facts, people will want to believe that their favorite team/player/coach did the right thing.

No one on here is different.

Believe me, I 100% believe that McCants took the easy way out, I absolutely am not being blind here. I also am not saying that the University isn't partly responsible for this...However, sometimes it's not everyone else's fault, and the player/student whatever has to take some responsibility.

Roy Williams has never been accused of anything, in now 25 plus years of coaching. I would believe the same thing if this happened at Duke, who as we know, I'm not a fan of.

I know Nickle is trying to have a little fun here, and it's cool. He doesn't really think this is Penn State like, obviously.

@beginthebegin71

#77 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:47 PM

The gravity and seriousness of the situations aren't the same. The staunch, often blind support and homerism is comparable.

I fully expect al lot of these former players to be standing by Williams right now. 

And that's who Im really talking about here. Not the fans or  even the alum of UNC. Its much more understandable that fans are going to blindly support their program and school.

#78 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:05 PM

The gravity and seriousness of the situations aren't the same. The staunch, often blind support and homerism is comparable.

I fully expect al lot of these former players to be standing by Williams right now. 

And that's who Im really talking about here. Not the fans or  even the alum of UNC. Its much more understandable that fans are going to blindly support their program and school.

But it's not blind support, it's just support. I can only speak for myself, Antoine, and another mutual Carolina friend of ours, in saying that we don't think McCants is lying. About HIS situation.

I just don't believe Roy Williams makes it a standard practice, that's all.

Does it happen, sure, and it's wrong. But it's not this epidemic within the program. At least I hope not.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@beginthebegin71

#79 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:05 PM

That's pretty much always the case in these situations especially when the facts aren't known. It's not a "UNC problem" at this point.

@levineps

#80 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:07 PM

The gravity and seriousness of the situations aren't the same. The staunch, often blind support and homerism is comparable.

And that's who Im really talking about here. Not the fans or even the alum of UNC. Its much more understandable that fans are going to blindly support their program and school.

But it's not blind support, it's just support. I can only speak for myself, Antoine, and another mutual Carolina friend of ours, in saying that we don't think McCants is lying. About HIS situation.

I just don't believe Roy Williams makes it a standard practice, that's all.

Does it happen, sure, and it's wrong. But it's not this epidemic within the program. At least I hope not.

It's the NCAA's fault for having grade requirements (degrees for free should be an option but not a requirement) for their unpaid amateur work force to begin with.

They are the antecedent to any of this type of behavior.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=