Photo

Yahoo: UNC's widening academic scandal could be..

• Please log in to reply
198 replies to this topic

#21 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:29 AM

If they take away the 2005 title, someone better check on Antoine. 

Even when those things get taken away, it's hard to say they didn't happen? Those retroactive accomplishments being taken away just don't mean much to me. Yes, I get why they don't do it.

@levineps

#22 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:35 AM

I think its naïve to think the football program was doing stuff but the basketball program wasn't.

HOWEVER, who gives a damn?  This is so dumb to even bring up IMO.

It happens everywhere...just deal with it and move on.

UNC shouldn't get anything thrown at them but they could.

I give a damn in large part because this type of stuff IMO shows what a joke the NCAA is.

#23 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:57 AM

I think its naïve to think the football program was doing stuff but the basketball program wasn't.

HOWEVER, who gives a damn?  This is so dumb to even bring up IMO.

It happens everywhere...just deal with it and move on.

UNC shouldn't get anything thrown at them but they could.

That athletes who are there just to play a sport don't go to classes is not a big deal. Happens everywhere to varying degrees, I'm certain. But if any of these guys actually left there with a degree while not going to classes, it IS a big deal, and it only cheapens the degree of the students who actually earned theirs. If I graduated from UNC during this time-frame, I'd be pissed, and who knows what prospective employers who have heard about this might think.

#24 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:02 AM

OMG....of course this is true. This happens in most Juco programs around the country.

Maybe not to this degree, but it's such a common practice.

That said, I'm all for a pompous blue blood getting exposed.

#25 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:05 AM

Seriously, just do what Cuban said already. Have a developmental league and pay kids instead of putting a college name on their jersey.

We all know that a huge % of recruits at programs have little to no interest in the education.

#26 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:13 AM

Seriously, just do what Cuban said already. Have a developmental league and pay kids instead of putting a college name on their jersey.

We all know that a huge % of recruits at programs have little to no interest in the education.

I think you are asking a rhetorical question but ok...

Because most NBA owners like the current model. It's a de facto farm system with little risk to them. It centralizing virtually all the domestic talent (and some international).

If you swapped out Kentucky for the Lexington Crusade, Kansas for the Lawrence Rage, you'd see a sure decline in interest here like there is with other more enhanced minor league structures.

And because of the interest in college basketball, you see increased pro interest. People are already familiar with the players at the time of the draft and to a lesser extent, people want to root on their alma matters players.

@levineps

#27 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:20 AM

High level college athletes are a complete sham. I'm ready to be done with it.

And we shouldn't be paying these kids to play college ball either. Not when the overwhelming majority of college students are paying out their ass to get an education.

And you're going to pay the ones that don't want to be there. That are going to take BS courses, not go to class, and have their work done for them.

That's such hypocrisy. It's ridiculously wrong.
  • Dupin likes this

#28 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:34 AM

High level college athletes are a complete sham. I'm ready to be done with it.

And we shouldn't be paying these kids to play college ball either. Not when the overwhelming majority of college students are paying out there ass to get an education.

And you're going to pay the ones that don't want to be there. That are going to take BS courses, not go to class, and have their work done for them.

That's such hypocrisy. It's ridiculously wrong.

Cool, haven't you been saying this for a while?

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but can't music students be on scholarship and still get paid (recording albums, concerts, playing at clubs, etc). 

I don't think it's too relevant that they don't want to be there. They're taking advantage of their skill sets. Now not going to class and having work done for them is a different story.

@levineps

#29 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:53 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but can't music students be on scholarship and still get paid (recording albums, concerts, playing at clubs, etc). 

Right. Any other college student can either get paid through an outside job (which is at least severely limited by the NCAA, if not outright banned) or through their own field: students in the arts can earn money for their work, journalism students can get paid positions at the student newspaper (in many cases: at the Diamondback reporters are paid by the story and editors can make $10,000 or more a year), and so on.

• Russ likes this
@DJ_McCann

#30 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:54 PM

I'm sure there are parts of it that are true..

A ton of people have already discredited McCants on twitter..Great to see Julius Hodge stepping up for the enemy.

LeVelle MotonVerified account ‏@LeVelleMoton
Whenever an athlete with entitlement comes up short of their dreams, they will throw any and every one who knew them under the bus....

@Follow24Hodge: As much as I delight in minimal anguish for UNC.. This dude McCants is a certified "nut job". Anyone who knows him know that #dontbelievehim

Julius Hodge ‏@Follow24Hodge 5m
@BDAHT he a real punk for this. All for attention. I didn't see the interview and I KNOW he lying. That's who he is.

John Henson ‏@_John_Henson_ 2m
That boy is certified bonkers.

John Henson @_John_Henson_ · 1m
Crazy that someone so disreputable would try to tarnish something so special.

Dexter Strickland ‏@DStrick01 2m
It's sad how people will do anything for notoriety!

Kareem Martin ‏@reemthedream_95 15m
Every week it seems like an athlete comes out and bashes the University, blaming everybody but themselves.

Are they going after him because he's lying, or are they going after him because what he's saying is completely true? I mean, snitches get stitches, but it's not because they make things up.

@DJ_McCann

#31 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,424 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:17 PM

McCants is certainly an unreliable source, at best, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's lying.

I'm with Bnick, though.  Just separate the academics from the major college sports.

#32 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:38 PM

From Deon Thompson's Twitter/Instagram:

dethompson9
Being a student athlete at UNC was a phenomenal experience, it saddens me that the experiences of two former athletes creates negative media speculation and a negative overall characteristic of student athletes. Is it necessary to gain 15 minutes of fame by doing an interview to realize that your judgement is the one to blame and NOT UNC. Is UNC suppose to babysit, “hold your hand” and tell you “NO, NO you can’t cheat" or "you can’t have others write your paper?" NO! Yes, people make mistakes, but do not blame an athletic program, when the individual is at fault. The list of amazing student athletes that have came out of UNC and that are still there is endless!

@beginthebegin71

#33 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:45 PM

Lol at that response and Lol at trying to defend the UNC basketball program here.

This is so common, but it doesn't make it right.

#34 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:08 PM

Lol at that response and Lol at trying to defend the UNC basketball program here.

This is so common, but it doesn't make it right.

Good point, I know how much you value the words of Rashad McCants.

• The Epic likes this
@beginthebegin71

#35 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:04 PM

You're a complete homer if you think he is making this up. If you think this whole" scandal" is made up.

He already provided the proof of his grades. And low and behold a big discrepancy between the real courses and the fake ones.

#36 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:09 PM

You're a complete homer if you think he is making this up. If you think this whole" scandal" is made up.

He already provided the proof of his grades. And low and behold a big discrepancy between the real courses and the fake ones.

No, i don't think he's making it all up, but I don't believe it's a problem with the entire Basketball program...He was a troublemaker when he was there, he's been a troublemaker since.

@beginthebegin71

#37 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:22 PM

No, i don't think he's making it all up, but I don't believe it's a problem with the entire Basketball program...He was a troublemaker when he was there, he's been a troublemaker since.

What does that have to do with this though? You're turning this into the last courtroom scene in Goodfellas.
@DJ_McCann

#38 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:29 PM

What does that have to do with this though? You're turning this into the last courtroom scene in Goodfellas.

I'm not turning this into anything, simply offering other former players thoughts.

@beginthebegin71

#39 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:11 PM

That athletes who are there just to play a sport don't go to classes is not a big deal. Happens everywhere to varying degrees, I'm certain. But if any of these guys actually left there with a degree while not going to classes, it IS a big deal, and it only cheapens the degree of the students who actually earned theirs. If I graduated from UNC during this time-frame, I'd be pissed, and who knows what prospective employers who have heard about this might think.

Why? I got my degrees in 2004 and 2005, and by no means do I think that my degree is devalued due to how a school may or may not treat the academics of their athletes. The situations are mutually exclusive.

#40 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:17 PM

Here's the thing...whether RM is a legit source or not, it doesn't mean he is wrong(see Canseco).

If what he says is true, then UNC should be in big trouble since that is how the NCAA handles things...which is why the NCAA sucks.

It's bs to worry about this but this could put that 2005 title in jeopardy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=