137 replies to this topic

#61 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 03:22 PM

Would hiring an agent make him ineligible for collegiate athletics? And then making him draft eligible, three years after high school?

He'll be draft eligible 3 years after high school no matter what, so yes.  While the rules do say players who have yet to exhaust their college eligibility must apply for draft eligibility, I don't think anyone has ever been denied, so as long as he waits 3 years from his HS class graduating (technically the player does not have to graduate), he can then be drafted.

NFL has undrafted free agents. With today’s structure, and the fact that they don’t play American football for real anywhere else, it’s just uncharterted territory to give an undrafted FA a newsworthy contract way more the more than minimum, or having teams fight over a UDFA.

Undrafted free agents are all guys who were draft eligible just not chosen.  Lawrence would be draft eligible 3 years after his HS (so for the 2021 draft), and presumably would be taken in that draft whether he plays the next two years for Clemson or for the XFL Fingerblasters or whatever ridiculous team names they come up with this time.

#62 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 03:24 PM

I'll add that I'm not certain about any of this, just my interpretation of the rules I've been able to stumble across in various places.

#63 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 10 January 2019 - 07:44 PM

Would hiring an agent make him ineligible for collegiate athletics? And then making him draft eligible, three years after high school?

I guess I’m thinking of it in like old, baseball, intl’ free agent terms. Pretend the XFL is a foreign entity, and a player emerges with insane talent. None of those guys go through the MLB draft. They just go to the highest bidder.

NFL has undrafted free agents. With today’s structure, and the fact that they don’t play American football for real anywhere else, it’s just uncharterted territory to give an undrafted FA a newsworthy contract way more the more than minimum, or having teams fight over a UDFA.

It seems less like baseball, and more like the NBA, where international players still have to go through the draft to enter the league.

I guess the difference is someone like say, Gus Edwards was draft eligible and not selected. Where as Lawrence if made draft eligible would defiantly get picked. Unless also like some MLB prospects he enters the draft with “signability issues”. Tells teams don’t draft him, he won’t sign. Then when the draft is over, listens to the highest bidder. But I still don’t see that ever be a case.

Remember Drew Henson? The Texans drafted him in 2003 while he was still playing baseball for the Yankees' organization. When he decided to retire from baseball and give the NFL a shot in 2004, they traded him to Dallas. They used a sixth on Henson, and ended up receiving a third (in 2005) in return.

Now, the articles I read about this note that the Texans only held his rights for a year (I thought it was longer), so theoretically a player could sit out a year. However, I don't think that they could ever become a free agent entering the league until officially going undrafted.

Really, this would be less about whether Lawrence could circumvent draft-related rules (unless, again, he sues) and more about what he wants in terms of college vs. professional life, development, etc.

@DJ_McCann

#64 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 February 2019 - 10:43 PM

Really did not know where to post this, but it looks like Bob Stoops will be the first head coach and GM of the XFL.

He will head up the Dallas franchise.

My question, Why the hell would he want to take a job like that.?

https://www.cbssport...eneral-manager/

@mikeghg

#65 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 11:08 PM

Really did not know where to post this, but it looks like Bob Stoops will be the first head coach and GM of the XFL.

He will head up the Dallas franchise.

My question, Why the hell would he want to take a job like that.?

https://www.cbssport...eneral-manager/

He's probably being paid a lot of money, he gets to stay close to home, he gets attention, control, and likely a longer leash (assuming the league lasts) than the NFL.

@DJ_McCann

#66 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,435 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 07 February 2019 - 01:37 AM

Retirement got boring, real quick.

#67 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:55 AM

He's probably being paid a lot of money, he gets to stay close to home, he gets attention, control, and likely a longer leash (assuming the league lasts) than the NFL.

I get all that, but the XFL?  Had he wanted to get back into football, I am sure the NFL and many colleges would have been open to him.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@mikeghg

#68 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 08:44 AM

XFAIL

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#69 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 01:40 PM

I get all that, but the XFL?  Had he wanted to get back into football, I am sure the NFL and many colleges would have been open to him.

But he could fail in those places, and it would matter. If the XFL fails, it is very unlikely to be do to him.

@DJ_McCann

#70 nickp

nickp
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 06:27 PM

Bob Stoops turned down the NFL several times a few years ago to go to the XFL

#71 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 08 February 2019 - 11:14 AM

But he could fail in those places, and it would matter. If the XFL fails, it is very unlikely to be do to him.

I guess, but I doubt whether guys like Stoops think about failing all that much.

@mikeghg

#72 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 08 February 2019 - 11:32 AM

XFAIL

More than likely.

I was surprised to hear the other new league AAF starts this week.

It will be interesting to see if that survives until the XFL starts.

@mikeghg

#73 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 03:17 PM

ESPN: XFL reveals names, logos for its eight teams

#74 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 02:51 PM

ESPN: C. Jones among 8 QBs assigned to XFL teams

#75 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 12:01 PM

CBS Sports: XFL 2020 Week 1 odds, picks: DC Defenders win big, plus more predictions against the spread
https://www.cbssport...nst-the-spread/

#76 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 February 2020 - 12:11 PM

Had a buddy, offer tickets to the Washington Defenders game.

I passed.  My tune in to see a quarter or two, but CBB offers far more enjoyment.

@mikeghg

#77 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 12:30 PM

Completely forgot this was a thing until I saw a commercial for it right before kickoff of the Super Bowl. That’s not a good start for marketing your league and trying to bring it eyes on TV and butts in the seats.
@BSLMikeRandall

#78 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 February 2020 - 12:35 PM

Completely forgot this was a thing until I saw a commercial for it right before kickoff of the Super Bowl. That’s not a good start for marketing your league and trying to bring it eyes on TV and butts in the seats.

I have seen spots on FS1 often.

I think I have seen it on Fox and USA too.

@mikeghg

#79 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 07:40 AM

Is anyone really interested in watching another league of football?

#80 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 February 2020 - 07:56 AM

Is anyone really interested in watching another league of football?

I will tune in, if nothing else is on.

The running clock, should make it get over quickly.

But to answer your question, not much.

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=