137 replies to this topic

#101 NickStevens

NickStevens

HOF

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA but the 757 is home

Posted 10 February 2020 - 01:01 PM

Had a free weekend so I watched all four games (except for the second half of the TB/NY game, that was ugly). It exceeded my expectations and I'll definitely tune back in and follow the former big names I enjoyed watching in college ball. For the player's sake, I hope it sticks and expands to a full minor league type league for the NFL.

@NickStevensR on Twitter.
Follow BSL's Orioles Minor League podcast on Twitter @BSLOnTheVerge and follow us on Facebook and Instagram! Just search BSL On The Verge!

#102 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 February 2020 - 02:16 PM

Had a free weekend so I watched all four games (except for the second half of the TB/NY game, that was ugly). It exceeded my expectations and I'll definitely tune back in and follow the former big names I enjoyed watching in college ball. For the player's sake, I hope it sticks and expands to a full minor league type league for the NFL.

Your last point is the one that intrigues me.  The real hope for the league is that it becomes a feeder program for the NFL.  A place where practice squad players have a chance to gain reps and get better.

The issue is whether Vince allows that to become the leagues role.  His ego is a big one, and I could see him not allowing that to happen.

• NickStevens likes this
@mikeghg

#103 NickStevens

NickStevens

HOF

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA but the 757 is home

Posted 10 February 2020 - 04:51 PM

Things seem to be going well in Los Angeles. DC fired and one of their team captains gone. 

https://www.espn.com...n-losing-opener

@NickStevensR on Twitter.
Follow BSL's Orioles Minor League podcast on Twitter @BSLOnTheVerge and follow us on Facebook and Instagram! Just search BSL On The Verge!

#104 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 09:03 AM

Ratings were higher than the AAF got in their first week with 4M viewers for the opening game compared to 2.9M.

St. Louis fans tuned in almost triple the amount for their game than that of other teams. 

Highest ratings for a region without a team in the league was the Cleveland area, followed by the Columbus area. (Cardale Jones likely the reason).

@BSLMikeRandall

#105 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 08:29 AM

CBS Sports: XFL 2020: Top Week 2 storylines, including Landry Jones' debut and one game that could be a thriller
https://www.cbssport...-be-a-thriller/

#106 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 05:28 PM

If the XFL lasts a few years, they should compete for the 6th and 7th round draft picks and UDFA types. Sprinkled with a few 'names.'

#107 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 February 2020 - 09:48 PM

Watched some of the second half of the Dallas game today.  Not bad.  The league has some good ideas.  The level of play better, than the league from last year.

@mikeghg

#108 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 10:44 PM

Watched some of the second half of the Dallas game today. Not bad. The league has some good ideas. The level of play better, than the league from last year.

Anyone who loves football should be tuning in and rooting for this league. It isn't caught up in the politics like the NFL. They're not scared to show the replay man and what he is doing to make his decision. The refs are put out there. They let the players play. And the coaches and players are all given a level of clarity that I think everyone has always wanted. This XFL league just feels pure, like I'm finally just watching football for football.

Harbaugh's head would explode if he had to jump off of his high horse, and give the media and the public that kind of clarity and transparency into his game day decisions.

#109 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 February 2020 - 11:00 PM

Anyone who loves football should be tuning in and rooting for this league. It isn't caught up in the politics like the NFL. They're not scared to show the replay man and what he is doing to make his decision. The refs are put out there. They let the players play. And the coaches and players are all given a level of clarity that I think everyone has always wanted. This XFL league just feels pure, like I'm finally just watching football for football.

Harbaugh's head would explode if he had to jump off of his high horse, and give the media and the public that kind of clarity and transparency into his game day decisions.

I don't want to even put it into the same sentence as the NFL.  They are 2 very different animals.  The NFL does business differently, because it is different.  The media and fan scrutiny are all reasons for the approach they take.  The XFL and its planners, have some good ideas and have made the sideline part of the live story, which is cool.  I still have yet to watch an entire game and may not, but the part I have seen, I have enjoyed.

@mikeghg

#110 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 11:23 PM

The QB play was pretty dreadful this week. That's not gonna be good for business.

However, these guys don't have a preseason. Wonder how effect that has. You can argue how much preseason star QBs in the NFL need. But there is a reason these guys are here and those guys are there. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#111 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:41 AM

The QB play was pretty dreadful this week. That's not gonna be good for business.

However, these guys don't have a preseason. Wonder how effect that has. You can argue how much preseason star QBs in the NFL need. But there is a reason these guys are here and those guys are there. 

No matter what the level, the QB needs to be able to make the throws.  The game I watched, Landry Jones settled in and started to have some success, but Josh Johnson,for the most part, could not get in the same zip code.  Maybe accuracy will improve as the season goes on.

@mikeghg

#112 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:38 PM

I don't want to even put it into the same sentence as the NFL. They are 2 very different animals. The NFL does business differently, because it is different. The media and fan scrutiny are all reasons for the approach they take. The XFL and its planners, have some good ideas and have made the sideline part of the live story, which is cool. I still have yet to watch an entire game and may not, but the part I have seen, I have enjoyed.

Who was putting them in the same sentence? They are different. But I really hope the NFL can see that they can have some transparency to the fans without it hurting the on the field product. I think if they put the refs and replay officials out there like the XFL does, it would at least add some clarity on how they came to decisions that they did. I don't think the NFL should be blasting opposing teams playcalls out there live. But hearing the coaches talk over decisions or discussing a play that just happened would be a cool addition.

Bottom line is this, the people running the XFL are running it the way they are because they love the game of football. The NFL is running their league the way they are because they love money.

#113 Don Olsen

Don Olsen

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSeverna Park, MD

Posted 18 February 2020 - 08:52 PM

NFL is already seeing the benefit of the league developing practice squad level talent.  Look at PJ Walker, the Chargers, the Jaguars, the Vikings, and the Colts would be wise to give him back up money with the chance to start after his first few glimpses of XFL.  This league should thrive and the NFL would be wise to ensure it continues because off-season rules prevent player development.  This league fills that void.

I want this league to survive with the goal of maybe putting a dent into the NCAA, provide an alternative to develop NFL talent via the draft.

• You Play to Win the Game and Mike B like this
@Olsen_Don

#114 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 February 2020 - 08:59 PM

NFL is already seeing the benefit of the league developing practice squad level talent. Look at PJ Walker, the Chargers, the Jaguars, the Vikings, and the Colts would be wise to give him back up money with the chance to start after his first few glimpses of XFL. This league should thrive and the NFL would be wise to ensure it continues because off-season rules prevent player development. This league fills that void.

I want this league to survive with the goal of maybe putting a dent into the NCAA, provide an alternative to develop NFL talent via the draft.

Good points. Is there an age requirement for XFL? Or could players bypass NCAA, get paid to play in the XFL, then go to the NFL when eligible?

#115 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 18 February 2020 - 09:28 PM

NFL is already seeing the benefit of the league developing practice squad level talent.  Look at PJ Walker, the Chargers, the Jaguars, the Vikings, and the Colts would be wise to give him back up money with the chance to start after his first few glimpses of XFL.  This league should thrive and the NFL would be wise to ensure it continues because off-season rules prevent player development.  This league fills that void.

Excellent post, all good points.  There is a place for the XFL

@mikeghg

#116 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 10:21 AM

CBS Sports: XFL Week 3 storylines: Renegades look to ground game, Josh Johnson faces the league's top defense
https://www.cbssport...es-top-defense/

#117 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 22 February 2020 - 01:07 PM

Excellent post, all good points.  There is a place for the XFL

The NFL so far has been happy with this version of the XFL I saw. They see the benefit, and hopefully the long term benefit of a partnership.

Eventually, if there was a 1:1 or even a 2:1 relationship where two teams shared an XFL team as a development spot, with each team being able to park so many players there like the Practice Squad it would be ideal.

Then maybe there's an alternative to kids going to NCAA before NFL. Maybe HS kids can jump straight to the XFL, but they own their rights and they aren't NFL draft eligible for 2 years or something. There's a lot of potential here if they do things right.

@JeremyMStrain

#118 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 09:51 AM

The NFL so far has been happy with this version of the XFL I saw. They see the benefit, and hopefully the long term benefit of a partnership.

Eventually, if there was a 1:1 or even a 2:1 relationship where two teams shared an XFL team as a development spot, with each team being able to park so many players there like the Practice Squad it would be ideal.

Then maybe there's an alternative to kids going to NCAA before NFL. Maybe HS kids can jump straight to the XFL, but they own their rights and they aren't NFL draft eligible for 2 years or something. There's a lot of potential here if they do things right.

I think people have been wanting this for a while. Basically an NFL minor league system. NFL could maybe look into making it a 2 game preseason warm up for the starters and use the XFL as the stage for the later draft picks or undrafted guys. Also, I think you could garner a lot more interest from the public if they knew the younger guys playing, could potentially fill a weakness on their favorite team.

#119 Don Olsen

Don Olsen

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSeverna Park, MD

Posted 23 February 2020 - 01:39 PM

That dude PJ Walker would be a top of my wish list if I were in need of a quarterback.  He is in the mold of Wilson, Jackson, and Mahomes in his ability to extend the play inside the pocket, use his athletic ability to make it a 11-11 with every play on the field.

@Olsen_Don

#120 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 08:31 PM

That dude PJ Walker would be a top of my wish list if I were in need of a quarterback. He is in the mold of Wilson, Jackson, and Mahomes in his ability to extend the play inside the pocket, use his athletic ability to make it a 11-11 with every play on the field.

He's made some NFL level throws as well. I think you see him get an invite to a camp somewhere this offseason. Someone like Miami, Cinci or Jacksonville may want to give him a look.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=