137 replies to this topic

#81 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 09:02 AM

Is anyone really interested in watching another league of football?

Timing was one of its downfalls last time. If it started in April and ended in July, as a precursor to NFL training camp, it might draw more eyes. But the Super Bowl is such a main event you need a break before football, bad football at that, starts again.

Vince should know this. You don’t have The Rock vs Stone Cold go on before the bra and panties match to close the show.
@BSLMikeRandall

#82 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 February 2020 - 04:42 PM

Timing was one of its downfalls last time. If it started in April and ended in July, as a precursor to NFL training camp, it might draw more eyes. But the Super Bowl is such a main event you need a break before football, bad football at that, starts again.

Vince should know this. You don’t have The Rock vs Stone Cold go on before the bra and panties match to close the show.

I am sure it has to do with the window of where he can get TV exposure.  He wants to get his games on TV before baseball and the NCAA tourney.

@mikeghg

#83 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 05:41 PM

I am sure it has to do with the window of where he can get TV exposure. He wants to get his games on TV before baseball and the NCAA tourney.

I don’t think he should have to worry about baseball if he went up against it. Baseball owns every day of the week from late March to of October, so not many people are making baseball their go to every single night. His one day in his short season should be fine in the summer.
@BSLMikeRandall

#84 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 07:28 PM

I think one of the ex-NFLers in the XFL is Raheem Moore.  Ravens fans should remember him.   :mrgreen:

#85 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 February 2020 - 10:35 PM

I think one of the ex-NFLers in the XFL is Raheem Moore.  Ravens fans should remember him.   :mrgreen:

Fondly.  

@mikeghg

#86 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 February 2020 - 10:35 PM

Another safety in XFL....Matt Elam....I remember him less fondly.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@mikeghg

#87 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 08 February 2020 - 03:36 PM

He's got a pick today.

The game hasn't been that great. The live mics and in-game interviews are a bit jarring. I like the kickoff rule change. And the announcers keep pushing some kind of double-forward-pass rule, that I'm curious to see.

@DJ_McCann

#88 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 February 2020 - 03:58 PM

DC nailed a 55 yard FG to cut their deficit to 1 at the half. Pretty boring product so far.

#89 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,264 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 08:26 AM

I think they introduced some things the NFL may want to look in to stealing. The kickoff formation nailed the excitement vs safety standard that the NFL has desperately been looking for. I like the live mics on the coaches after big plays or even just after an incompletion or during a timeout discussing what they're doing. It adds am element that is missing from the NFL. So many times were wondering what the coaches are thinking or why they did something. With the XFL it's all out there.

#90 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,264 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 08:27 AM

I also liked how the officials refereed the game.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#91 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 08:20 AM

CBS Sports: XFL 2020 Week 1 takeaways: From P.J. Walker rising to the Vipers falling flat, opening week's highs and lows
https://www.cbssport...highs-and-lows/

#92 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 February 2020 - 10:51 AM

I watched small parts of a couple of the games.  Thought the level of play was mediocre, but I think there will be some improvement.

The kick off rule and the extra point rules were interesting.

@mikeghg

#93 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,264 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 11:18 AM

I watched small parts of a couple of the games. Thought the level of play was mediocre, but I think there will be some improvement.

The kick off rule and the extra point rules were interesting.

I love the kickoffs. The extra points I'm nuetral on. I think the level of play will improve as the season goes. I really like the prospects of this league though. If it can sustain itself, and you see NFL teams giving some of these younger guys a chance, I think you definitely see a lot of undrafted guys signing up for a year or two vs being on a practice squad. If they can get on a team and actually play and show something vs just sitting on the roster bubble for a year or two, the XFL may survive.

#94 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 February 2020 - 11:46 AM

I love the kickoffs. The extra points I'm nuetral on. I think the level of play will improve as the season goes. I really like the prospects of this league though. If it can sustain itself, and you see NFL teams giving some of these younger guys a chance, I think you definitely see a lot of undrafted guys signing up for a year or two vs being on a practice squad. If they can get on a team and actually play and show something vs just sitting on the roster bubble for a year or two, the XFL may survive.

I think that if the league is going to survive, they will eventually have to bring in a more traditional owner set up, as opposed to a Vince owns everything format.  

This version of the XFL has some creative ideas.   The other one, had some goofy ideas.

@mikeghg

#95 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,264 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 11:54 AM

I think that if the league is going to survive, they will eventually have to bring in a more traditional owner set up, as opposed to a Vince owns everything format.
This version of the XFL has some creative ideas. The other one, had some goofy ideas.

I was listening to a podcast that was talking about the old iteration. Apparently it was never supposed to be sold as a "football" league. It was basically supposed to just be a circus act publicity stunt by McMahon. But when he saw how many people truly wanted another football league, the wheels started spinning on this league.

#96 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 11:56 AM

BSL: XFL Returns: Review After One Game

https://www.baltimor...eview-one-game/

I watched the inaugural game (SEA @ DC) and took some notes. The good, the bad, the ugly, the unnecessary. 

• BSLChrisStoner and Mike B like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#97 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 February 2020 - 12:22 PM

Good write up.

You asked one question, that I think sums up the problem the XFL  is going to have.  

Will the football fan invest 3 hours in an XFL game.  I tried to watch the New York game.  I was there at the kick off, made it through the first Q, then started channel surfing.

The product is not bad though.

• Mike in STL likes this
@mikeghg

#98 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,264 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 12:42 PM

Good write up.
You asked one question, that I think sums up the problem the XFL is going to have.
Will the football fan invest 3 hours in an XFL game. I tried to watch the New York game. I was there at the kick off, made it through the first Q, then started channel surfing.

I think if they get some known college names in that may not exactly be NFL quality, it could gain some popularity. Especially QBs like Jake Browning or Quenton Flowers who have talent but just won't ever get a chance at one of the 32 jobs in the NFL. Name recognization would be huge for the XFL.

#99 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 12:43 PM

Good write up.

You asked one question, that I think sums up the problem the XFL  is going to have.  

Will the football fan invest 3 hours in an XFL game.  I tried to watch the New York game.  I was there at the kick off, made it through the first Q, then started channel surfing.

Thanks. I tuned in for some of that one too. Also a big difference in stadiums. DC put 17K+ in a 20K seat stadium It sounded raucous at times. NY put 17K+ in an 82K seat stadium and it was not a good look. I thought Aaron Murray would have looked a little bit better than he did in that game too. 

The scoring is going to take me a while to get used to because there is going to be a lot more sixes than sevens on TDs. Teams aren't going for the two or three point try until they need to. Also trying to wrap my head around what to do when trailing by more than one score. Trailing by 16 do you go for 1, then for 3? Try for 2 twice? Good thing they have cards because the math is too much to do in real time unlike the NFL. (I know they have the cards in the NFL too, but you know what I mean). 

@BSLMikeRandall

#100 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 10 February 2020 - 12:58 PM

I think if they get some known college names in that may not exactly be NFL quality, it could gain some popularity. Especially QBs like Jake Browning or Quenton Flowers who have talent but just won't ever get a chance at one of the 32 jobs in the NFL. Name recognization would be huge for the XFL.

I think this will be the natural progression if they can last 2-3 years. This is basically expansion rosters, but these guys that don't get drafted, or get cut from teams during the NFL season will be able to sign with them and showcase themselves between the NFL season ending and the draft. I imagine teams not making the playoffs will be regulars at these games.

The operations hangup I have, is will this league be ok being so transient player wise? You'll have some guys that stay year to year, but the higher end guys, the ones you use to sell merch and tickets will likely be up and down with NFL teams and tryouts and wouldn't want to sign long term deals. So can you exist long term as a sports franchise without knowing year to year what your roster is going to look like?

Buying in and being able to see some of those star College QB that the NFL doesn't rate well get a chance at a pro or pro-lite level and give them a chance to earn a shot as an NFL backup or something is intriguing. Guys like Tebow, or guys that get drafted mid rounds and get cut after bouncing around as a 3rd stringer. It could offer up a different path for teams to build.

Especially if it's successful and transitions to a league with an NFL agreement for development. Each team gets an XFL team as a minors system to help develop players on the edge? There are so many UDFA in the NFL that there have to be a ton of guys slipping through the cracks.

@JeremyMStrain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=