137 replies to this topic

#21 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 18 December 2017 - 03:12 PM

I don't want to derail the thread, but the Kaepernick question (assuming he would have interest in playing) would really be interesting. It's almost something that you'd have to be in full agreement on as a league, and thereby choose your ownership group accordingly.

#22 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 18 December 2017 - 05:03 PM

At first I was like...nah.

Now I have had time to think about it, and I'm like...HELL nah.

#23 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:06 PM

I don't want to derail the thread, but the Kaepernick question (assuming he would have interest in playing) would really be interesting. It's almost something that you'd have to be in full agreement on as a league, and thereby choose your ownership group accordingly.

On the one hand, that seems like it would alienate a huge part of the audience that they would be going for. On the other hand, set him up as the heel with some clean-cut Middle American college kid QB on a rival team in the babyface role, and that could be something that they can work with.
@DJ_McCann

#24 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:35 PM

It will never work.  No chance.

@Miller192

#25 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 04:04 AM

Kaepernick is throwing his hat in the ring to be part of a group that buys the Panthers.....in Carolina.....not likely.
@BSLMikeRandall

#26 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:33 AM

Kaepernick is throwing his hat in the ring to be part of a group that buys the Panthers.....in Carolina.....not likely.

I'm really wondering if...like...if that went through, would he essentially be suing himself for collusion (assuming he doesn't drop the suit, which of course he would), or would he be suing Richardson? 

This is the stupid stuff that keeps me up at night. 

He will never, ever, be allowed to be a part owner of a football team. 

#27 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 12:06 PM

I'm really wondering if...like...if that went through, would he essentially be suing himself for collusion (assuming he doesn't drop the suit, which of course he would), or would he be suing Richardson? 

If he were alive, Kaepernick could always ask Al Davis for advice on suing yourself.

• The Epic likes this

#28 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 12:07 PM

On the one hand, that seems like it would alienate a huge part of the audience that they would be going for. On the other hand, set him up as the heel with some clean-cut Middle American college kid QB on a rival team in the babyface role, and that could be something that they can work with.

So I assume Vince McMahon is the one spearheading this league again? Using the football league as a means of wading into a culture war is no recipe for success.

#29 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 12:12 PM

BSL: The Return of the XFL? 20 Unsolicited Suggestions

http://baltimorespor...ed-suggestions/

Updated some thoughts, and made a post.

• BSLMikeLowe likes this

#30 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 06:10 PM

Vince McMahon just sold $100 million in WWE stock to fund a new venture...
@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#31 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 01:06 AM

Vince McMahon just sold $100 million in WWE stock to fund a new venture...

Manny Machado is going to WWE. Ugh. 

• ChaosLex, The Epic and DJ MC like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#32 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 22 December 2017 - 09:09 AM

Manny Machado is going to WWE. Ugh. 

Vince about to make that WOW offer.

• tennOsfan likes this

#33 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 December 2017 - 08:20 AM

I think Vince loves a challenge, he loves when people tell him something is not possible.  ESPN did one of their specials on the XFL and at the end, Vince  approached the idea of doing it again.

I think he makes another run at it.  This time he will have to use a lot of his own money.

There are a lot of good suggestions here,  FWIW, mine would be to not get to crazy and away from main stream football rules.  Also use football people to communicate your game.  

The old XFL had wrestling characters like, JBL, Jerry Lawler, and Jim Ross doing the games.  

@mikeghg

#34 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 27 December 2017 - 10:09 AM

McMahon should tab Duquette to run a franchise, looking for bargain-basement football players the NFL, CFL, and Arena Leagues missed. There's gotta be some Rule 5 guys that would work out.

• Mike B likes this

#35 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 December 2017 - 12:45 PM

McMahon should tab Duquette to run a franchise, looking for bargain-basement football players the NFL, CFL, and Arena Leagues missed. There's gotta be some Rule 5 guys that would work out.

With any luck Dan will be available by the time the XFL 2 is ready to sign players.

@mikeghg

#36 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 10:08 AM

Vince is making a big sports announcement at 3:00pm this afternoon. You can guess what that means.

@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#37 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 25 January 2018 - 11:05 AM

Should I go copyright "Royal Fumble", or did that get used last time?

• The Epic likes this
@DJ_McCann

#38 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 11:37 AM

I can't wait to see it play out. Looks like a return in 2020. Allowing him more time to set up infrastructure, players to get an ample offseason, things they failed on the first time.

@BSLMikeRandall

#39 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 25 January 2018 - 12:19 PM

I can't wait to see it play out. Looks like a return in 2020. Allowing him more time to set up infrastructure, players to get an ample offseason, things they failed on the first time.

If they treat it like a developmental league for the NFL instead of direct competition, I think they could do well. There are so many players where the dream is dead after college that you should be able to find some diamonds that wouldn't have enough room to do so in the NFL. Look at how many UFA make teams each year. Give  them some playing time and a chance to get used to a more pro offense or defense, and you could see some decent returns. Kind of like NXT for the NFL.

I doubt they will go that way though, Vince has an ego and will go straight competition route.

@JeremyMStrain

#40 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 12:43 PM

If they treat it like a developmental league for the NFL instead of direct competition, I think they could do well. There are so many players where the dream is dead after college that you should be able to find some diamonds that wouldn't have enough room to do so in the NFL. Look at how many UFA make teams each year. Give  them some playing time and a chance to get used to a more pro offense or defense, and you could see some decent returns. Kind of like NXT for the NFL.

I doubt they will go that way though, Vince has an ego and will go straight competition route.

I don't know if a developmental league is what he should aim for. It might be that way at first by default. But what developmental leagues are ever a draw? NFL Europe wasn't, NBA D-League or whatever it's called now isn't. A minor league system where each team has a farm team might be something the NFL might want to look into. 

But eventually the XFL will want to have a draft where you can poach top college football talent like the USFL did. I think if they take what everyone hates about the NFL and makes little tweaks, it can work. Common sense for what is a catch and a football move for one.  Illegal contact is another. It's pass interference, holding, or nothing. 

@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=