• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#21 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:05 PM

If you wanted to include McGriff... I could see including him over a 1st time guy like Thome. 

I think Rolen has a good case, he'd be someone I'd vote for in the future.

Kent, Hoffman, Walker, and Wagner I'd have to look at further.

#22 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:44 PM

Right now it's looking like a four-man class: Guerrero, Hoffman, and both Jones and Thome first-ballot.

Thome has been unanimous so far, which I actually find a bit shocking. I seem to remember a bit of discussion over the past few years about the possibility he would be overlooked a bit at the start. Even the one known jackass ballot included him.

If the (Not Really) Veterans Committee votes someone in, it could be the biggest player class (not counting the special Negro Leagues election in 2006) since 1999 (the Ryan-Brett-Yount class, with Orlando Cepeda and Smokey Joe Williams picked by the VC).

@DJ_McCann

#23 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:48 PM

Bonds

Clemens

Guerrero

C. Jones

Martinez

Mussina

Ramirez

Rolen

Thome

Walker

First four out:

Schilling

Sosa

Sheffield

McGriff

Random non-HOF toward whom I would throw a token vote if I could: Moyer.

@DJ_McCann

#24 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:36 PM

Only being able to vote for 10 is dumb.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#25 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:20 PM

See you deleted the post about Vlad not being 1st ballot... so you realized he's not.

I'm not a fan of some of the guys above, and I've made my feelings on roids clear.... but each of those guys are obvious HOFs in my opinion.

If you don't have Bonds and Clemens in your Hall, there is no reason to have a Hall.

Vlad doesn't deserve to go in on his 2nd ballot when so many similar or better players either had to wait longer or still aren't in. Ramirez failed multiple drug tests and was likely a cheat his whole career. Sheffield also has stats similar or worse than other guys not in who don't have Balco attached to them.Putting these guys in before Walker, Edmonds, and Rolen aren't right IMO

#26 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 10 December 2017 - 06:43 PM

The Modern Era Baseball Committee just elected Jack Morris and Alan Trammell to the Hall.

Trammell is deserving but Morris making it is a joke.

Anyone who says it's not the Hall of Very Good better not have supported him, but I'm guessing there's some overlap there. Inclusions better than Morris make that argument ring hollow to me. Morris probably shouldn't even make a Hall of Very Good.
  • B00E00N00 likes this

#27 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 11:16 PM

I'm very happy that Alan Trammell was elected today. There isn't a player no longer on the official ballot who deserves it more.

This is going to be a huge class this year.
@DJ_McCann

#28 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 12:26 AM

The Modern Era Baseball Committee just elected Jack Morris and Alan Trammell to the Hall.

Trammell is deserving but Morris making it is a joke.

Anyone who says it's not the Hall of Very Good better not have supported him, but I'm guessing there's some overlap there. Inclusions better than Morris make that argument ring hollow to me. Morris probably shouldn't even make a Hall of Very Good.

At least it means Mussina will eventually get in

#29 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 12:29 AM

I think Moose was going to get in regardless.

I'm also not sure that this will have much of an impact on future voting. If people actually voted based on Morris being the standard, the Hall better start working on an addition.

#30 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 09:41 AM

NBC Sports: Jack Morris Should Not Be In The Hall of Fame

Hall of Fame voters have often cited the “character clause” in refusing to vote for players who were caught or suspected of using performance-enhancing drugs. The “character clause” has also been cited for Curt Schilling, who expressed adulation for a t-shirt that read, “Rope. Tree. Journalist. Some assembly required.” They should extend the use of the “character clause” to cover candidates who have treated people disrespectfully, including in a hateful way the way Morris did.

• mweb08 likes this
@DJ_McCann

#31 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:00 PM

Btw, maybe they shouldn't make this announcement on a Sunday late in the NFL season. I just watched PTI, and they talked about it for 10 seconds during the big finish.

#32 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 09:02 PM

Hes in the HOF. Deal with it. Those guys on the committees represent the HOFers. They deserve to the right to be able enshrine guys.

#33 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 09:06 PM

Umm, what is that in response to?

#34 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 09:09 PM

I'm just saying in general. Express your displeasure that IYO he's not worthy but respect that these guys on this committee have the right to vote on and ultimately enshrine guys that the BWAA rejected

#35 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 09:16 PM

Obviously they're given the right to do this. No one implied otherwise.

#36 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 09:17 PM

That said, the veteran's committee has historically done a very poor job imo.

#37 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 09:19 PM

Yeah well they're voting on guys that the BWAA passed up so you're going to get guys enshrined that are controversial. Considering that, I doubt they've done a very poor job

#38 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 09:31 PM

They've elected many of the really hard to defend players imo.

Here's a question that I should know the answer to, but don't....how are the committee members chosen?

#39 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 10:04 PM

Yeah well they're voting on guys that the BWAA passed up so you're going to get guys enshrined that are controversial. Considering that, I doubt they've done a very poor job

http://joeposnanski....frankie-frisch/

And so, from 1970 to 1973, Frisch’s veteran’s committee inducted: Jesse Haines, Dave Bancroft, Chick Hafey, Rube Marquard (BR correction: Marquard was not a teammate of Frisch, though a very shaky selection), Ross Youngs and George Kelly — all former teammates of Frisch. Frisch died in 1973 after an automobile accident, and in the next couple of years the committee elected Jim Bottomley, Freddie Lindstrom and Travis Jackson who were ALSO former teammates of Frisch (the last two were also teammates of Bill Terry, who may have become the dominant committee member in Frisch’s absence).

That’s eight players, all former Frisch teammates, and while they were all good players, let’s be honest, not one of them belongs in the Hall of Fame. But they are there, and with them there you can basically argue for just about any good player as a Hall of Famer. Let’s say you believe Mark Grace should be in the Hall of Fame. Well, Mark Grace was almost certainly better than George Kelly or Jim Bottomley, both first basemen on the Frisch List. So you have a real case.

• BSLChrisStoner and mweb08 like this
@DJ_McCann

#40 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 10:08 PM

Therr are different committees for different eras so the guys that played from '88 and forward are the youngest guys. It wasn't that long ago that the BWAA rejected them so they're bound to be the most controversial choices.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=