• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

#141 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:48 AM

This thread needs to die. I'm tired of seeing it on the front page everytime I refresh. Go fantasize about this somewhere else.

What if I just rename it to "MLB team in Las Vegas?"

I think it's shifted the past page or so to people realizing it's not going to be a team like the O's that move there.

For a while I wondered if TOR would get out of CAN too and they'd be a prime target. I think it ends up being someone like one of the CAL teams or FL teams. (OAK if it didn't go to SJ, or TB would be prime targets)

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#142 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:49 AM

What if I just rename it to "MLB team in Las Vegas?"

I think it's shifted the past page or so to people realizing it's not going to be a team like the O's that move there.

For a while I wondered if TOR would get out of CAN too and they'd be a prime target. I think it ends up being someone like one of the CAL teams or FL teams. (OAK if it didn't go to SJ, or TB would be prime targets)

Sure, sure - makes sense to discuss in the MLB page. But seeing, in the Orioles section, a thread titled Las Vegas Orioles is just fucking horrible. I'm sick of it. 

• sandiegosean likes this

#143 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 06 May 2019 - 10:09 AM

Sure, sure - makes sense to discuss in the MLB page. But seeing, in the Orioles section, a thread titled Las Vegas Orioles is just fucking horrible. I'm sick of it. 

I mean I guess, if I'm a national writer, barely follow baseball, and want to stir up some drama, sure I can see lumping them in there.

If you purely say who are the best candidates to move to LV, you'd look at the smallest markets first right? The O's are there right now, but the stadium alone is reason they aren't moving. The Nats are probably close to them in the market rankings, but again, recent stadium.

OAK makes the most sense, sharing the Bay Area market, but they are angling to stay there but move to wealthier SJ and try their luck there in a new stadium. 5th oldest stadium.

TB makes sense, their stadium is a dump, but I thought I remembered reading they are working on a deal for a new one...no idea why though. It's actually 8th oldest now just ahead of TOR. 1990...is that crazy?? MIA could go on this list except it has the newest stadium in baseball.

KC is a tiny market, with the 6th oldest stadium. But there's no baseball anywhere else near by, so not sure it makes sense to strip it out of there.

ANA has one of the oldest stadiums (4th) and shares a market...pretty much...makes some sense to me, especially with Trout locked up. BUT Moreno is one of the better owners in the game, and will spend to keep them competitive...just a question of can he get a new stadium.

TOR is the 7th oldest stadium in MLB, and it's questionable if Canada can hold up as a home long term. There has been talks in the past decade of them moving somewhere. I like where it is, but then when you figure in exchange rates, and if they can get a new stadium.

The 3 older than these are iconic (LAD, BOS, CHC) so unless there's a NYY type of scenario I don't know when if they get redone, and all are HUGE market teams.

Should be mentioned, TEX has a new stadium in the works. TB and OAK have been trying to get new ones approved...but politics and financing has had them on ice.

• Nigel Tufnel likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#144 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 May 2019 - 11:16 AM

Thanks for doing that Jeremy.
  • JeremyStrain likes this

#145 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 01:51 PM

Baseball America: MLB Expansion: Examining 6 Possible Locations To Add Teams
https://www.baseball...s-to-add-teams/

#146 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 07:55 AM

CBS Sports: The business behind MLB expansion: Portland, Montreal and Raleigh taking different approaches to landing a team
https://www.cbssport...landing-a-team/

#147 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 09:55 AM

Nashville unveils baseball stadium proposal.

https://www.newschan...ial-mlb-stadium

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#148 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,563 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 02 October 2019 - 05:04 PM

Nashville unveils baseball stadium proposal.

https://www.newschan...ial-mlb-stadium

Nestor just had a panic attack.

#149 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 10:16 PM

CBS Sports: Why 2028 could be the year that reshapes, expands and completely alters Major League Baseball
https://www.cbssport...eague-baseball/

#150 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 06:44 PM

NY Post: MLB plotting playoff expansion — with reality TV twist

https://nypost.com/2...impression=true

Putting this here, since we had discussion of possible changes to the post-season. 

#151 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,563 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 10 February 2020 - 08:14 PM

I know everyone seems to hate it but it sounds entertaining to me.

#152 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 08:57 PM

Too gimmicky. I dont think baseball should have half the league making the playoffs but it seems its inevitable.

#153 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 09:00 PM

I know everyone seems to hate it but it sounds entertaining to me.

I just dont think .500 - .510% winning teams should make the playoffs in any pro sports. I dont understand the justification for ever having much of a reg season in that scenario. Just have mutilple tournaments throughout the year where all teams are eligible.

#154 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 February 2020 - 09:51 PM

I would be more in favor of it if you shortened the season.

#155 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 February 2020 - 09:57 PM

https://twitter.com/...4741682176?s=21

#156 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 10:02 PM

Manfred is pretty much a joke and hasnt much a clue about baseball. I try not to be too hard on commissioners. Silver does a good job and Goodell is better than most give him credit for being.

#157 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,563 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 10 February 2020 - 10:04 PM

I just dont think .500 - .510% winning teams should make the playoffs in any pro sports. I just dont understand the justification for ever having much of a reg season in that scenario. Just have mutilple tournaments throughout the year where all teams are eligible.

I see that side of it too but if they expand to 32 teams that could help offset some of that.

#158 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 10 February 2020 - 11:50 PM

I like the theory that MLB released this because Manfred is not ready to drop the Red Sox report/punishment and is trying to distract from the WSJ article and Hinch interview.
  • Mike in STL likes this
@DJ_McCann

#159 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 08:38 AM

I hate it.  I enjoy that the regular season is still meaningful for baseball.

5/15 is good, and the current format is fine.  6/15 would be ok, but if they did that I'd want rework the divisions so there are only 2, schedule is more balanced, and each division champ gets a bye then the 4 wildcards play 3-game series.  7/15 is too many, now you barely have to be above .500.  I wonder how far you'd have to go back to find a year where a sub-500 team might have gotten that 7th spot.

• Mike in STL likes this

#160 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 08:53 AM

I hate it.  I enjoy that the regular season is still meaningful for baseball.

5/15 is good, and the current format is fine.  6/15 would be ok, but if they did that I'd want rework the divisions so there are only 2, schedule is more balanced, and each division champ gets a bye then the 4 wildcards play 3-game series.  7/15 is too many, now you barely have to be above .500.  I wonder how far you'd have to go back to find a year where a sub-500 team might have gotten that 7th spot.

2019- BOS 84-78  NYM 86-76

2018- SEA 89-73  PIT 82-79 (Must have had a rain out not made up. two other teams finished 82-80. Possibly have to break a three way tie.

2017 - 6th PLACE!!! LAA, KC, TB all 80-82.   STL- 83-79

So the answer is not that far back. 

Keep it at 5. Make the WC round a three game series. Shorten the regular season (Or schedule some doubleheaders). Hate the season starting before April and ending just about November.

• Mackus likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=