#181 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 May 2020 - 03:01 PM

Two new teams would be about $66M per team in expansion fees alone. Seems like a decent possibility. 

I don't doubt they are going to do it.  The idea of more bad teams bother me.  

Put anopther team in Boston and cut a deal with NESN and see if MLB screws the Red Sox.

@mikeghg

#182 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 03:39 PM

I don't doubt they are going to do it.  The idea of more bad teams bother me.  

Put another team in Boston and cut a deal with NESN and see if MLB screws the Red Sox.

I don't mind the idea of more teams, because that moves us closer to the widespread realignment I want to see. 

That said, I agree about the issues with the on-field product... the general lack of pitching...  

#183 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 22 May 2020 - 05:11 PM

I don't mind the idea of more teams, because that moves us closer to the widespread realignment I want to see.

That said, I agree about the issues with the on-field product... the general lack of pitching...

Would also likely lead to 8 additional minor league teams, thus saving 8 of those organizations as well.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#184 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 06:59 AM

ESPN: MLB's 2020 rules changes signal future of the game
https://www.espn.com...nal-future-game

#185 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 09:55 AM

Sportico: MANFRED’S $2.2 BILLION MLB EXPANSION FEE ON THE HIGH SIDE, AT LEAST FOR NOW

https://www.sportico...fee-1234628756/

#186 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 04 May 2021 - 12:29 PM

Sportico: MANFRED’S $2.2 BILLION MLB EXPANSION FEE ON THE HIGH SIDE, AT LEAST FOR NOW

https://www.sportico...fee-1234628756/

Good article. Hits a lot of the points I was thinking when I read that headline. Using an average value doesn't work for this because the major markets are inflating that number, and this isn't a major market expansion.

You are looking at like Portland, Vegas, or Nashville, maybe something in the Carolinas. Those markets aren't going to get the uber TV deals, and asking ownership to come up with $3B to start a team in those spots is going to put them underwater for decades. (gotta pay for a stadium on top of the 2.2B).

I wonder if this crazy high number isn't MLB's way of trying to force some existing teams relocation. Where potential landing spots come up with sweet offers to existing teams that aren't doing great because it's cheaper than buying a new one.

Who could they be hoping moves out? I'd say FL teams, but they just somehow got a new stadium deal down there. Maybe leverage for OAK and the new stadium battle there?

I dunno. Have a hard time seeing a sustainable situation, but there's clearly something going on behind the scenes.

@JeremyMStrain

#187 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 12:42 PM

If an expansion team went to the Carolinas, would the Orioles own their broadcast rights, too?

#188 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 04 May 2021 - 12:55 PM

If an expansion team went to the Carolinas, would the Orioles own their broadcast rights, too?

O's were the home market for years, but they've broadcasted more Nats stuff there in recent years  and it was harder to find O's on TV. They are kinda in this weird in between zone. If you are at the Northern tip of N Carolina it's very different than say Southern S Carolina. Felt like they should have their own market there somewhere.

@JeremyMStrain

#189 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 01:09 PM

If interested in expansion / realignment talk... listen to our interview with Maury Brown a few months ago for his thoughts... 

Chris Stoner Show: Episode 14: Maury Brown / Forbes

#190 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 01:28 PM

Oakland - with MLB approval - is going to begin exploring relocating elsewhere. 

#191 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 01:38 PM

Last year, the rumor was, MLB was doing to reduce the teams by 2 and realign the divisions.

This year, its this.

Lets just play the game, we keep telling them stuff, to think we are going to do something, and stay exactly where we are.

#192 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 11 May 2021 - 02:02 PM

Think this is likely just to push the city of Oakland to approve their latest proposal, but you never know. Now that the Vegas doors have been blown open by NHL/NFL, that's certainly an option.

Anywhere else besides Portland likely results in divisional realignment.

#193 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 11 May 2021 - 04:13 PM

The As would become the first team in MLB history to call four different metropolitan areas home.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#194 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 11 May 2021 - 04:51 PM

Think this is likely just to push the city of Oakland to approve their latest proposal, but you never know. Now that the Vegas doors have been blown open by NHL/NFL, that's certainly an option.

Anywhere else besides Portland likely results in divisional realignment.

If you look strictly at permanent residents, Vegas might already be at a saturation point as far as its market size and ability to support pro teams. But maybe when you factor in all the tourists it pencils out better...problem is thanks to COVID there are really only 2 full seasons of data on that for the Knights, and none for the Raiders.

Also the NBA has made expansion rumblings recently, and Vegas could be on their short list. It might end up being a race between the two to claim the last viable spot in that market, at least until there is more growth.

#195 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 11 May 2021 - 06:16 PM

If you look strictly at permanent residents, Vegas might already be at a saturation point as far as its market size and ability to support pro teams. But maybe when you factor in all the tourists it pencils out better...problem is thanks to COVID there are really only 2 full seasons of data on that for the Knights, and none for the Raiders.

Also the NBA has made expansion rumblings recently, and Vegas could be on their short list. It might end up being a race between the two to claim the last viable spot in that market, at least until there is more growth.

Agreed there. Plus with the length of the baseball season compared to the other sports, that is certainly a negative as it relates to residential attendance draw.

#196 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 May 2021 - 09:57 PM

I don't think Oakland would want to share a stadium again.

#197 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 12:52 PM

The As would become the first team in MLB history to call four different metropolitan areas home.

I guess it doesnt count all the teams that called Washington Home, and left for other cities. :)

#198 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 03:31 PM

I guess it doesnt count all the teams that called Washington Home, and left for other cities. :)

Washington plus another city is two.  This would be four.

#199 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 12 May 2021 - 09:39 PM

More like the Planes, folks, am I right 

she/her

#200 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 05:22 AM

Washington plus another city is two.  This would be four.

You have the Original Olympics / Nationals / Blue Legs / Statesmen / Senators. Really thought there was more than just a name change, but I was wrong.

They moved to Minnesota and became the Twins.

Expansion came back to town, and they left and became the Rangers.

Expros came to town, and became the Nationals.

So thats 4 diff teams in the same city,

Not like your original thought and 1 team in 4 cities.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=