• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

#101 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 04:55 PM

Radical realignment... 4 divisions per new league, + 2 wild cards.  That's what I want to see.

BSL: http://baltimorespor...t-orioles-fans/

Impact on O's:
http://www.baltimore...?hl=realignment

• BobPhelan likes this

#102 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 18 July 2018 - 05:59 PM

Northeast

Boston
NYY
NYM
Montreal

Mid Atlantic

Baltimore
Philly
DC
Pitt

Central

Cleveland
Cincinnati
Toronto
Detroit

Southeast

Miami
Tampa
Atlanta
Nashville/Charlotte

Southwest

Texas
Houston
San Diego
Arizona

Midwest

St.Louis
Chi Cubs
Chi Sox
Kansas City

Northwest

Minnesota
Seattle
Milwaukee
Colorado

Pacific
San Francisco
Oakland
Los Angeles Dodgers
LA Angels

Best I could do in 2 minutes lol.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#103 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 18 July 2018 - 06:00 PM

If they expand to Portland or Vegas instead of Nashville/Charlotte

Move Cincinnati to the Southeast, Milwaukee to the Central and Portland  to the Northwest. 

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#104 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 03:59 PM

Northeast
Boston
NYY
NYM
Montreal
Mid Atlantic
Baltimore
Philly
DC
Pitt
Central
Cleveland
Cincinnati
Toronto
Detroit
Southeast
Miami
Tampa
Atlanta
Nashville/Charlotte
Southwest
Texas
Houston
San Diego
Arizona
Midwest
St.Louis
Chi Cubs
Chi Sox
Kansas City
Northwest
Minnesota
Seattle
Milwaukee
Colorado
Pacific
San Francisco
Oakland
Los Angeles Dodgers
LA Angels
Best I could do in 2 minutes lol.

Poor Montreal. LOL

#105 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 04:00 PM

Radical realignment... 4 divisions per new league, + 2 wild cards.  That's what I want to see.

BSL: http://baltimorespor...t-orioles-fans/

Impact on O's:http://www.baltimore...?hl=realignment

Manfred is a total nutcase. LOL

#106 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 12:12 PM

Forbes: From Universal DH To Radical Realignment: Here's How MLB Might Look If It Expands To 32 Teams
https://www.forbes.c...s/#63f81a577f80

#107 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 09:28 PM

Take this one with a large grain...

105.7 was talking about it though, so I thought it was worthy of its own thread.

https://1057thefan.r...oving-las-vegas
@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#108 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 04 May 2019 - 09:55 PM

I think there's a better chance of me pitching a shutout for the Orioles against the Marlins in Game 7 of the WS this year.

#109 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 11:25 PM

I doubt if anything would happen any time soon, but I also wouldn't just assume the Orioles are here for eternity.

The MASN dispute isn't anything to be taken lightly, namely because it's going to determine the Orioles' television market for the future. How the MASN profits are ultimately divided could make said market worth less than a city clamoring for a team (and willing to throw tons of taxpayer money toward a nice, new stadium).

As Benjamin Neil said in the interview with Bruce Cunningham, as long as Angelos and/or his wife are still around, nothing is likely to happen. But if MLB is going to throw as much as $3 billion at the sons to give up the team, well, it's difficult not to take the money and run.

#110 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 11:30 PM

I do think they’ll be gone at some point in my lifetime. Combine millennial indifference with losing and you’ve got a recipe for them leaving. They’re second worst attendance so far this year. I was surprised they didn’t draw well when they were winning. I always thought winning would be the answer but it wasn’t post 2012. The only thing is I think most MLB cities will experience the same thing.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#111 FFH

FFH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 02:27 AM

I do think they’ll be gone at some point in my lifetime. Combine millennial indifference with losing and you’ve got a recipe for them leaving. They’re second worst attendance so far this year. I was surprised they didn’t draw well when they were winning. I always thought winning would be the answer but it wasn’t post 2012. The only thing is I think most MLB cities will experience the same thing.

It's not tied to an age group. 

The O's have been bad mouthed in the media for 20 years. While I was growing up, the O's were generally treated like baseball royalty, even if they weren't winning.  

Then the Nats deal happen where 2/3rds of the market was stolen from the team.  Suddenly, major media had no need for O's fanbase, and they moved on.  

Imo, there will be no Baltimore or O's in baseball in 20 years. 

#112 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 05:30 AM

The next person who gives this rumor any further discussion is getting banned.

My comment is in jest but Im completely serious in my belief that there is a zero % chance of the Orioles leaving Baltimore.
  • SportsGuy, JeremyStrain, BobPhelan and 2 others like this

#113 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 05 May 2019 - 09:35 AM

They’re second worst attendance so far this year. I was surprised they didn’t draw well when they were winning. I always thought winning would be the answer but it wasn’t post 2012. The only thing is I think most MLB cities will experience the same thing.

1) They told people not to show up.

2) Rob told me there are no other consequences to intentionally being bad. 

#114 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 05 May 2019 - 09:41 AM

But if MLB is going to throw as much as $3 billion at the sons to give up the team, well, it's difficult not to take the money and run.

...but the Orioles are a have.

There are other teams that have less or a lot less....and you still have expansion is the LV Market merits a team.

If MASN gets dissolved, OK, the Orioles are finally small market and get squeezed by the teams around them and their own incompetence (largely protected so far)....but as long as MASN is their TV resource (even if their share of the pie isn't as good...again...failure in how they resolve this) then you leave haves where they are.

Also....why reward the Angelos family?

#115 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 10:20 AM

The next person who gives this rumor any further discussion is getting banned.

My comment is in jest but Im completely serious in my belief that there is a zero % chance of the Orioles leaving Baltimore.

There are other teams that have less or a lot less....and you still have expansion is the LV Market merits a team.

If MASN gets dissolved, OK, the Orioles are finally small market and get squeezed by the teams around them and their own incompetence (largely protected so far)....but as long as MASN is their TV resource (even if their share of the pie isn't as good...again...failure in how they resolve this) then you leave haves where they are.

giphy.gif

@BSLMikeRandall

#116 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 10:32 AM

I'd have to question that bolded statement. The Orioles looked like a have payroll-wise, but as we've seen, those relatively excessive obligations were supported by not spending like other teams in areas such as international scouting, drafting and player development. 

The Orioles might have fallen into that category in the pre-Washington days, but that's likely not the case any longer. They've gone somewhere from middle of the pack to somewhere in the lower third (which is difficult to estimate given the uncertainty surrounding MASN). What does seem fairly certain is if the Nats continue to have on-field success, their fanbase will continue to expand and mature at the Orioles' expense. Do the Orioles have a plan for adjusting to these declining circumstances? I don't know.

Regardless of the circumstances surrounding the Orioles' current state--putting the Nationals just down I-95 left the Orioles in a very tenuous geographical position. Not only do they have Washington to the south, but they have Philadelphia just to the north, Pittsburgh to the west, and the Atlantic Ocean to the east. That doesn't leave for a lot of operating room.

When Angelos pere finally passes, there's no guarantee the sons could hang onto the team in any case. I don't know how his estate is structured, but there's that looming issue of estate taxes. Since neither appears to have any source of outside income, they'd either have to come up with that money themselves, or look to outside investors for a needed infusion of cash. That would most likely come under the conditions of no return on said investment until the team was actually sold. I doubt if MLB would want a team operating in such a manner.

Either way, they'd likely be strapped for the necessary funds to operate the club. Even if the sons could manage to remain solvent, they'd still need a majority of owners to approve the transfer. How likely is that to happen given the sons' limited resources and MLB's animosity toward their father? I see that as less a "reward" for the Angelos family than MLB seizing an opportunity to get rid of them once and for all.

#117 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 May 2019 - 10:45 AM

The Orioles won’t be cash strapped. They will be perfectly fine.

Not to mention, teams are finally starting to get smart about spending money. I wouldn’t be surprised to see payrolls go down league wide over the next several years.

#118 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 05 May 2019 - 11:43 AM

I was typing my comments when Chris posted his. 

I'll delete them, he can delete them.

There is a larger discussion on consequence to attendance and MASN vs no MASN.

I'll stand by my first comment.  If there's a number less than 0%, I'll take it.

Delete all.

#119 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 05 May 2019 - 12:57 PM

If MASN gets dissolved, OK, the Orioles are finally small market and get squeezed by the teams around them and their own incompetence (largely protected so far)

If MLB tries to shoehorn a MASN-less Orioles into only holding rights to the area between the Patuxent and, like, Wilmington (which I can see as a possibility in the case of a definitive decision dissolving the contract between the league and the two franchises), I would start to get worried long-term if the Angelos sons don't sue. That scenario would come off as essentially giving up and trying to get in the good graces of the league, where the most likely outcome would be a sale or a relocation where they need the approval of MLB.

• mdrunning likes this
@DJ_McCann

#120 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 05 May 2019 - 02:38 PM

If MLB tries to shoehorn a MASN-less Orioles into only holding rights to the area between the Patuxent and, like, Wilmington (which I can see as a possibility in the case of a definitive decision dissolving the contract between the league and the two franchises), I would start to get worried long-term if the Angelos sons don't sue. That scenario would come off as essentially giving up and trying to get in the good graces of the league, where the most likely outcome would be a sale or a relocation where they need the approval of MLB.

So the only real risk to the Orioles isn't having MASN or not having MASN, it's not having the region they gave up to allow the Expos to become Nationals.

If what we believe in the most recent discussions on the topic (still a while ago) is true (and for these purposes I'm assuming it is) then MASN doesn't really function with the value that other RSNs function because all of the money is inside both Organizations, not private away from revenue sharing.

The most recent decision appears to tell MASN to give DC more money annually (and back pay from the start of the renegotiation)...but DC wanted 200M and got maybe 60-70M.  Ultimately that doesn't matter as much since the only thing we didn't see is a broken solution which allows the Nationals to leave MASN with their region.

We don't know all of the details, but it still feels like both sides are screwing this up.

As far as the Orioles go, as long as MASN exists with the Os and Nats, they're good, regardless of whether the rights are 50M per or 65M per or 80M per...

...and I don't see a case where the unique joint venture would be dissolved....Washington agreed to it, MLB agreed to it and that will always be fundamentally the case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=