He's fielding .885 at SS this year.

#62 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:31 AM

He wasn't this bad last year.  I don't think he's a good SS by any means, but I don't think he's this awful.  I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that a lot of this is due to rust and expect that he'll get back to being merely below average to average eventually.

Still not sure I tender him a contract for next year.  But I'd be making my decision with the assumption that he would be a below average defensive SS, and not the abomination we've seen over the last 3 weeks.

#63 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:37 AM

He wasn't this bad last year. I don't think he's a good SS by any means, but I don't think he's this awful. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that a lot of this is due to rust and expect that he'll get back to being merely below average to average eventually.

Still not sure I tender him a contract for next year. But I'd be making my decision with the assumption that he would be a below average defensive SS, and not the abomination we've seen over the last 3 weeks.

Whats a good estimate on what he'll make in arb for '19

#64 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:38 AM

Yeah, he can't be this bad. He's got a 19th century fielding percentage, plus he made about 3 other lousy plays last night that weren't counted as errors.

Assuming he can get back to where he was last year defensively, I go back and forth about whether I'd prefer him to a Cesar Izturis type. Beckham can hit. But with a young pitching staff, I might want the defense first guy, even if his bat is a lot worse than Beckham's.

#65 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:43 AM

Whats a good estimate on what he'll make in arb for '19

Short answer:  $5M

Long answer:

He's making $3.35M this year.  Arbitration is entirely based around raises.  His '18 salary was a $2.5M raise over his '17 salary, that was a year with 575 PAs, a 111 OPS+, and 2-3.5 WAR depending on the source.  This year he's only going to get maybe 400 PA and he's currently got an 82 OPS+ and -0.3 to +0.3 WAR depending on the source.  I doubt he gets a very big raise.  $1.5M seems about right.  Maybe it's only $1M, maybe it's as big as $2M if he finishes strong.  So that's somewhere in the $4.335M - $5.335M range

#66 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:06 AM

He wasn't this bad last year.  I don't think he's a good SS by any means, but I don't think he's this awful.  I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that a lot of this is due to rust and expect that he'll get back to being merely below average to average eventually.

Still not sure I tender him a contract for next year.  But I'd be making my decision with the assumption that he would be a below average defensive SS, and not the abomination we've seen over the last 3 weeks.

Agreed. A lot of these plays are just kinda dumb, like the second error. Hopefully he can settle down. 

On the bright side, the AB's have been a lot better, 766 OPS in his last 30 game post groin injury/DL and starting to show some power.

#67 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:45 AM

Short answer: $5M

Long answer:
He's making $3.35M this year. Arbitration is entirely based around raises. His '18 salary was a $2.5M raise over his '17 salary, that was a year with 575 PAs, a 111 OPS+, and 2-3.5 WAR depending on the source. This year he's only going to get maybe 400 PA and he's currently got an 82 OPS+ and -0.3 to +0.3 WAR depending on the source. I doubt he gets a very big raise. $1.5M seems about right. Maybe it's only $1M, maybe it's as big as $2M if he finishes strong. So that's somewhere in the $4.335M - $5.335M range

So does he do anything extra. What does paying him 5 mil in a pointless season bring you. Is there any leadership ability there?? Is he going to provide stability in any way defensively?? I dont mind paying him 5 mil on the surface but what are we getting out of it. I dont think hes a leader. I dont think hes going to be a stable defensive guy who helps young pitchers. Id rather spend 5 mil on a slick fielding all glove SS who at least provides something positive to those around him. I think the only justification for keeping him is that he would end up having a good year and be a desirable trade piece next deadline. I just find that very unlikely.

#68 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 August 2018 - 12:35 PM

Trea brought up Iglesias before.  I would rather pay him than Beckham.

That being said, 5M isn't that much money and to have a guy capable of playing several positions and have a decent bat, that's not a lot of money.

I wouldn't peg him as a starter but as of right now, I would tender him.

#69 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 12:43 PM

By all means sign Iglesias and cut bait with Beckham.

#70 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 09 August 2018 - 01:03 PM

Trea brought up Iglesias before.  I would rather pay him than Beckham.

That being said, 5M isn't that much money and to have a guy capable of playing several positions and have a decent bat, that's not a lot of money.

I'm in the same place. I wouldn't complain if they signed him, but I wouldn't complain if they didn't. He just cannot be this bad. 

#71 Crouseman

Crouseman

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 08:58 AM

By all means sign Iglesias and cut bait with Beckham.

The more I see Beckham in the field at SS, the worse I think he is.  I think he is non-tendered.  I don't think there would be a trade market for him.  Geez he has like 18 errors in 74 games or so.  

#72 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 09:08 AM

Remember that you can tender him in the offseason, sign him to a 1-year deal, and then release him during ST and only be on the hook for ~1/4 of that contract.  They did this with Miguel Gonzalez a few years back.

#73 Crouseman

Crouseman

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 09:43 AM

Remember that you can tender him in the offseason, sign him to a 1-year deal, and then release him during ST and only be on the hook for ~1/4 of that contract.  They did this with Miguel Gonzalez a few years back.

I'd rather see them just go after a real SS with a solid glove right away in the off season.  Cut bait with Beckham and free up the 40 man spot.  Don't even take the risk of eating 1.25mil.  I see no trade market for him when he is making 5 mil.  

#74 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 27 August 2018 - 01:37 PM

The more I see Beckham in the field at SS, the worse I think he is.  I think he is non-tendered.  I don't think there would be a trade market for him.  Geez he has like 18 errors in 74 games or so.  

Ehh, he got jerked around pretty good this year. I think he's had 1 error at SS the past 13-14 games. Defensively he seems to have settled in to what he was last year, which was fine. I thin the more notable issue is the offense, which just hasn't been good enough, even post injury. I assume hes healthy at this point. 

#75 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 01:40 PM

Hes a bum

#76 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,567 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 01:47 PM

Tobias Myers having a decent season in A ball for Tampa.

Can't believe we gave up anything resembling of value for him.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#77 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 27 August 2018 - 01:59 PM

Beckham put up a 3.4 WAR last year and generated more than 27 mil in surplus value. Wake me up when Tobias Myers does that, 

• Dr. FLK likes this

#78 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 02:02 PM

DD gonna DD in trades. 

#79 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,567 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 02:13 PM

Beckham put up a 3.4 WAR last year and generated more than 27 mil in surplus value. Wake me up when Tobias Myers does that, 

For a team that finished 18 games out of first and was under .500 when we made the trade.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#80 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 27 August 2018 - 03:40 PM

For a team that finished 18 games out of first and was under .500 when we made the trade.

Wasn't his fault the entire team collapsed and finished 4-32 (or whatever it was). We were within 1 game of the WC on September 1st as I recall, in large part due to Beckham. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=