#141 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,428 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 18 May 2024 - 12:00 PM

He'll probably get picked up by someone.

I can't imagine him not getting claimed.  He's an above average ML RP with 4 years of control after this season.

How can we be forced into this move and not have a trade in our back pocket.

#142 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,597 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 12:11 PM

Did no one else have options? I get that Baumann is likely your last option besides Perez, but the stuff plays if he could ever harness it.

#143 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,597 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 12:13 PM

Cano and Akin the only guys with options in the pen. Tough to send either one down for Baumann.

#144 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,329 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 18 May 2024 - 12:26 PM

He's going to be 29 years old in September. Time to move on. He got oodles of chances in Baltimore. 

#145 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,462 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 May 2024 - 12:35 PM

I can't imagine him not getting claimed. He's an above average ML RP with 4 years of control after this season.

How can we be forced into this move and not have a trade in our back pocket.

In what universe is he an above average ML RP?
  • RichardZ likes this

#146 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,428 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 18 May 2024 - 12:39 PM

In what universe is he an above average ML RP?

This one.  Over the last 2 years he's 11-1 with an ERA around 3.60 and an ERA+ (the definition of what average is compared to the field) of 108+.

108+ is an above average ML RP.

#147 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 15,081 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 18 May 2024 - 01:05 PM

This one. Over the last 2 years he's 11-1 with an ERA around 3.60 and an ERA+ (the definition of what average is compared to the field) of 108+.

108+ is an above average ML RP.

Wins mean less than nothing especially for a reliever. A mid 3 ERA isn’t that good for a reliever and his FIP/xFIP are a run higher. He couldn’t finish last year on the roster.

He has great stuff but is so inconsistent you can never rely on him. I think somebody might get more out of him one day but this is a move winning organizations have to make.
  • makoman likes this

#148 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,428 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 18 May 2024 - 01:10 PM

He's going to be 29 years old in September. Time to move on. He got oodles of chances in Baltimore. 

The question isn't whether you move on or not, that's fine.  He gets a lot of criticism here, but that feels like people that don't watch any baseball other than the Orioles....but if he's the move, again, it's fine.

The questions should center around why he's DFA and not traded.  The put themselves in this box with the roster and that's ok too...but you have to have the [whatever] to adjust.  DFAing Baumann (am I correct he can't be traded now?) turns a dollar into nothing.  We say we don't want to trade at 40 cents on the dollar...would we rather just give away the dollar?

First team to look at (and there's more than one) is the Cubs.  They've been ravaged by injuries and pitching problems and anything reasonable would seem like a good deal.

Lot's of ways to get something done, but the Cubs have turned Nick Madrigal into nothing.  I'd rather have Madrigal on our bench than Urias and (this is discussed in the Holliday thread) so turn Urias into something and replace him Madrigal (not a new thought).  The Mets could absolutely use Urias and if I'm Steve Cohen, I'd want an Orioles to try and figure out a little insight into Oriole success versus Mets failure.

• Mike B and CantonJester like this

#149 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,764 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 01:15 PM

Wins mean less than nothing especially for a reliever. A mid 3 ERA isn’t that good for a reliever and his FIP/xFIP are a run higher. He couldn’t finish last year on the roster.

He has great stuff but is so inconsistent you can never rely on him. I think somebody might get more out of him one day but this is a move winning organizations have to make.

You can't really be relied on as a 4+ BB/9 guy unless you're striking out a ton and not allowing many hits (an aside, Cano is a little concerning this year too in this respect). I think he will be claimed and is a major leaguer but I hope we improve on that spot by July.

• BobPhelan likes this

#150 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,428 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 18 May 2024 - 01:19 PM

His ERA would rank 10th in MLB among Team RP performance.  Half the League is over 4.

Again, not arguing you can't can him, the question is how can you can him and get nothing. 

He costs nothing, has a good arm and is controlled for 4 years beyond this one.  Find a win.

#151 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 15,081 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 18 May 2024 - 01:20 PM

He can still be traded to a team that wants to jump the waiver line.
  • dude likes this

#152 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,764 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 01:20 PM

DFAing Baumann (am I correct he can't be traded now?) .

You have 7 days to trade or put on waivers. If not claimed he can be outrighted to Norfolk. He can refuse if he was outrighted before, don't know if he has.

• dude likes this

#153 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,428 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 18 May 2024 - 01:21 PM

You can't really be relied on as a 4+ BB/9 guy unless you're striking out a ton and not allowing many hits (an aside, Cano is a little concerning this year too in this respect). I think he will be claimed and is a major leaguer but I hope we improve on that spot by July.

Again, that has nothing to do with the point.  

#154 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,428 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 18 May 2024 - 01:23 PM

He can still be traded to a team that wants to jump the waiver line.

Awesome.  (I mean that seriously).

I don't understand how you don't make the trade before the DFA, but hopefully they cash him out.  

#155 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,188 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 01:34 PM

Lol. No one is trading anything of substance for Baumann. Maybe cash considerations if some team really wants to jump the line. Not even an 18 lottery ticket. THey may also trade org filler for him. Now, he may be claimed, but Baumann's are the types of guys that you see on the waiver wire with some consistency. There is a reason why RPs move around orgs and get claimed a lot. A team is looking specifically to take a chance on Baumann on the waiver wire but isnt gonna trade anything close to substance for him. dude just bitching to bitch and not understanding player value. Again.

#156 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,764 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 01:36 PM

Yeah, I think everyone would hope they can get something for him rather than just waive him for nothing. I'm not sure what kind of market a replacementish level reliever with a lot of team control has. Elias was not surprised that Grayson was coming back today, I have no doubt he tried to do something before DFAing.

#157 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,188 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 01:42 PM

Yeah, I think everyone would hope they can get something for him rather than just waive him for nothing. I'm not sure what kind of market a replacementish level reliever with a lot of team control has. Elias was not surprised that Grayson was coming back today, I have no doubt he tried to do something before DFAing.

That too. Im sure if a team has ever told Elias  "Hey if you're roster is in a crunch and you want to talk about moving a Baumann give me a call" he did that.  I dont know that Elias is out there making calls to all 30 GMs telling them Baumann is available. You kind of make that known with the DFA and if a team has interest they can call you. Obviously, there is some chance he clears waivers anyway. Mike Baumann is not unique in baseball though some 2nd or 3rd division team with a weak pen and no depth likely claims him. Thats just how baseball works. The O's were able to make claims in 2019 and 2020 and give fringe MLB players talent because they had so little talent on their MLB roster at the time.

#158 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,428 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 18 May 2024 - 01:57 PM

MIN

CHC

COL

LAA

DC

MIA

would be my top 6.  No chance he makes it through waivers.

#159 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,428 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 18 May 2024 - 03:26 PM

MIN

CHC

COL

LAA

DC

MIA

would be my top 6.  No chance he makes it through waivers.

I'd probably throw MIL in here too. 

MIN (#69), MIA (#70) and MIL (#67) all have CompB picks this year.  Last time Orioles traded a RP to the Marlins for a CompB, that worked out well for the Marlins.  CWS actually traded for SEAs CompB pick (#68) for RP (Gregory Santos) in this years draft.

Baumann is from MIN and would be one of their better RHed RPs this side of Griffin Jax for a competitive Twins (24-20) team....he doesn't make it to them on the waiver wire. 

#160 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,188 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 03:30 PM

Omg shut up. Baumann has nowhere close to the value of a comp pick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=