190 replies to this topic

#161 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,971 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 18 May 2024 - 03:39 PM

Yeah if he’s traded for anything other than cash it would be an international kid or older organizational filler they can take a flyer on.

#162 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,098 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 06:49 AM

Saw him start the Carolina League all star game at Frederick stadium years back. Thought he'd be a nugget. Not so much.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#163 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,259 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 19 May 2024 - 10:52 AM

Twins released RHRP Jay Jackson (who had the most non-closer apps/innings in the Twins bullpen) this morning and called up 30-yr old MiL journeyman Caleb Boushley who has a 4.54 ERA in 8 starts with the Saints (AAA) this year. 

#164 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,624 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 07:27 PM

Awesome.  (I mean that seriously).

I don't understand how you don't make the trade before the DFA, but hopefully they cash him out.  

Because teams can get the equivalent (Yohan Ramirez) for free. Why give much of anything for Baumann. Someone will take a chance. You never know when the light bulb goes on for a Reed Garrett or Ryan Brasier or Stephenson or whoever but teams run out of time with mediocre relievers with good stuff and little command. Most of Baumann’s stats (xfip, xera, etc.) say he’s pretty replaceable.

#165 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,418 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 08:48 PM

Baumann has proven he can go multiple innings in relief. If a team's pitching coach believes they can tweak the mechanics, they'll claim him. I'd think there's a likelihood of a small trade market developing for Baumann's services. 

#166 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,259 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 19 May 2024 - 11:10 PM

Because teams can get the equivalent (Yohan Ramirez) for free. Why give much of anything for Baumann. Someone will take a chance. You never know when the light bulb goes on for a Reed Garrett or Ryan Brasier or Stephenson or whoever but teams run out of time with mediocre relievers with good stuff and little command. Most of Baumann’s stats (xfip, xera, etc.) say he’s pretty replaceable.

I's hard to tell if you want to engage in some discussion, but it feels like this stuff is written without looking at other Teams in MLB.

I mean, look at the Twins bullpen and tell me they wouldn't have a ton of interest in Baumann.  They are getting no volume and little quality out of anyone.  If it's 'so easy' to find good RPs, where are they in Minnesota?  Maybe the Twins don't want to play because of the Lopez disaster.  I don't know.  If I'm them, I tell the CWS to make the claim and I'll give you X and Y for him.

CompB picks have some history with middle relievers.  The Twins need bullpen help.  Here's the history of pick #69.  If they could draft a kid that can literally just show up in the MIN bullpen and get outs, that probably works.  They don't have to wait for the draft, you can have him now. Bonus is they had some limited $$-issues (didn't move all of the money they wanted to in the offseason) so they can actually save 1M by moving the pick for something relevant.

In the last 20 years, the 69th pick has totaled about 4.7 WAR (Blake Perkins and Adrian Houser)....so you probably aren't giving anything up. 

30 years ago, the Angels grabbed Tim Salmon, so it's worth a shot on a player you can't use anymore.

Do they want Juan Rojas back in the deal? Fine.

It's odd how everyone runs down the Orioles bullpen as if nearly every Team doesn't have a ton of issues.  Baumann would be among the innings leaders in all of the bullpens above and his current performance (last year and this year) is better than the current average of over half the League.

There's plenty of real estate between a top20 prospect and DFA to get something done.  smh

#167 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,624 posts

Posted 20 May 2024 - 06:15 AM

I's hard to tell if you want to engage in some discussion, but it feels like this stuff is written without looking at other Teams in MLB.

I mean, look at the Twins bullpen and tell me they wouldn't have a ton of interest in Baumann.  They are getting no volume and little quality out of anyone.  If it's 'so easy' to find good RPs, where are they in Minnesota?  Maybe the Twins don't want to play because of the Lopez disaster.  I don't know.  If I'm them, I tell the CWS to make the claim and I'll give you X and Y for him.

CompB picks have some history with middle relievers.  The Twins need bullpen help.  Here's the history of pick #69.  If they could draft a kid that can literally just show up in the MIN bullpen and get outs, that probably works.  They don't have to wait for the draft, you can have him now. Bonus is they had some limited $$-issues (didn't move all of the money they wanted to in the offseason) so they can actually save 1M by moving the pick for something relevant.

In the last 20 years, the 69th pick has totaled about 4.7 WAR (Blake Perkins and Adrian Houser)....so you probably aren't giving anything up. 
30 years ago, the Angels grabbed Tim Salmon, so it's worth a shot on a player you can't use anymore.
Do they want Juan Rojas back in the deal? Fine.

It's odd how everyone runs down the Orioles bullpen as if nearly every Team doesn't have a ton of issues.  Baumann would be among the innings leaders in all of the bullpens above and his current performance (last year and this year) is better than the current average of over half the League.

There's plenty of real estate between a top20 prospect and DFA to get something done.  smh

I guess we’ll see what a team will give up for Mike Baumann. My guess is not much if anything. As I said, Yohan Ramirez isn’t that dissimilar to Baumann and he’s been released by the Mets, Orioles, and Mets again and no one wants to trade anything for him. We got Webb, Coulombe, and Perez for nothing or next to nothing. Reed Garrett was a journeyman minor leaguer. Now he’s one of the better setup men in baseball. There are many guys like this. They all bounce around. They’re like $2 lottery tickets and you hope timing and luck is on your side but why pay more than $2 for the lottery ticket when you can get one anywhere?
  • JeremyStrain and BobPhelan like this

#168 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,971 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 20 May 2024 - 06:36 AM

Albert Suarez made it tough for Baumann to stick around, he’s like an older refined version of him.
  • DuffMan likes this

#169 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,825 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 May 2024 - 12:26 PM

Albert Suarez made it tough for Baumann to stick around, he’s like an older refined version of him.

I have not seen enough of Suarez to say he is better than Baumann.  I knew Baumann was the move, but I am, skeptical that Suarez can keep doing what he has done the last month.  I am hoping to be wrong.

@mikeghg

#170 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,259 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 22 May 2024 - 11:42 PM

Lol. No one is trading anything of substance for Baumann. Maybe cash considerations if some team really wants to jump the line. Not even an 18 lottery ticket. THey may also trade org filler for him. Now, he may be claimed, but Baumann's are the types of guys that you see on the waiver wire with some consistency. There is a reason why RPs move around orgs and get claimed a lot. A team is looking specifically to take a chance on Baumann on the waiver wire but isnt gonna trade anything close to substance for him. dude just bitching to bitch and not understanding player value. Again.

Blake Hunt, Mariners #23 prospect.

I mean, at what point do you just stop.

#171 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 22 May 2024 - 11:53 PM

That's more than I could have reasonably expected for Baumann. Hunt's OPS is .905 at AAA this year, but that's also in the PCL where the average OPS is around .805. Still, he could be a potential backup for Adley next season after McCann turns free agent.

Blake Hunt, by the way, was part of the trade that sent Blake Snell from Tampa to San Diego in 2021. Just thought you'd like to know.

#172 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,971 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 23 May 2024 - 04:49 AM

So we get someone similar to Maverick Handley. Strong arm, signs of life at the plate. Somewhere between 40-60 as far as our prospect rankings. Better than nothing.

#173 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,639 posts

Posted 23 May 2024 - 07:03 AM

So there was no reason to complain that it was crazy to not trade him.
  • 1970 likes this

#174 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,624 posts

Posted 23 May 2024 - 07:09 AM

I’ll admit it. It’s more than I thought we’d get. Nothing much but a potential ML backup catcher with 3 options if he’s ever actually added to the 40 man roster.

Dude can claim victory. It will help erase the memory of the Tyler Wells, Austin Hays, and Cedric Mullins extension suggestion. Phew!

#175 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,720 posts

Posted 23 May 2024 - 11:18 AM

Blake Hunt, Mariners #23 prospect.

I mean, at what point do you just stop.

Lol. He's 25. 8th yr in baseball. Definition of org depth. Even if he is a tick more than org depth he is much closer to org depth than a comp pick. Rofl. I am much closer. L for you. Again.
  • RichardZ likes this

#176 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,720 posts

Posted 23 May 2024 - 03:44 PM

I’ll admit it. It’s more than I thought we’d get. Nothing much but a potential ML backup catcher with 3 options if he’s ever actually added to the 40 man roster.

Dude can claim victory. It will help erase the memory of the Tyler Wells, Austin Hays, and Cedric Mullins extension suggestion. Phew!

Add James McCann to that dude extension list too.

#177 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,259 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 23 May 2024 - 08:51 PM

Lol. He's 25. 8th yr in baseball. Definition of org depth. Even if he is a tick more than org depth he is much closer to org depth than a comp pick. Rofl. I am much closer. L for you. Again.

You continue to prove that you are an intellectually dishonest person.

#178 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,624 posts

Posted 23 May 2024 - 09:05 PM

You continue to prove that you are an intellectually dishonest person.

Is there any other kind?

#179 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,771 posts

Posted 23 May 2024 - 09:14 PM

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

#180 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,624 posts

Posted 23 May 2024 - 09:25 PM

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

100% of the board is thinking “Is he talking about me”?
  • BaltBird 24 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=