347 replies to this topic

#61 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:40 AM

Benched for the LH SP. He pinch hits for the RHP when the LH SP is puled tonight. This is just stupid. Later got a LHP, had a decent AB and drew a walk.

You bitch about some of the weirdest stuff. Theyre trying to break him into the bigs easy while also getting looks at some other players

#62 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 05 September 2018 - 11:33 AM

You bitch about some of the weirdest stuff. Theyre trying to break him into the bigs easy while also getting looks at some other players

Give me a freaking break, even if you count Andreoli, they need to look at Rickard and Jones (Gentry before that) to take those AB's away from Mullins? It won't get any easier and low pressure than it is now to have those AB's. 

• SportsGuy likes this

#63 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:10 PM

I don't mind giving Mullins days off against tougher lefties.  But I would like to see him play a bit against LHP.  A strict platoon where you are benching him against mediocre LH SP and then PH him in the 4th or 5th inning of the game is overthinking things, IMO.

LeBlanc actually has reverse splits, lefties hit him way harder than righties.  Mullins should've been starting last night.  It was a bad decision by Buck not to start him.

#64 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 12:28 PM

Josh
1:26
Chances Cedric Mullins sticks as an average to above average everyday player?

Keith Law
1:27
I think average is his ceiling.

#65 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 12:37 PM

Just my two cents: you play him most every day next season as your regular cf and see what you've got.

#66 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 12:47 PM

Yep.  It'd be a mistake to not play him as often as he's able.  Days off here and there, but that's it.

I'd assess his performance against LHP around midseason.  I'm usually very much against asking/suggesting that switch hitters give that up and only bat from one side, but Mullins is a possible candidate for that.  His splits have been so consistent and so dramatic.  His best ever year against lefties was 645 OPS and every year he's had at least a 170 point higher OPS as a LHB than a RHB.  I don't think he has much chance at all at being able to hit lefties in the majors, though I'd still give him a decent run before asking him to make such a big change, mostly to keep him comfortable while he's still very early in his career.  But by midseason, if he's hitting decently against RHP but terribly against LHP as expected, I'd explore the idea of him giving up batting right-handed and facing lefties as a lefty.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#67 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 12:49 PM

I'd definitely give him a chance.  Even if he turns out to be only an average player, average players have value.

#68 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 12:56 PM

If the arm doesn't play up very well in center, the speed and range should make him a tremendous defensive LF.  Of course the bat would have to end up a bit better than I think most expect for him to play even as a platoon guy in LF.

#69 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,000 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 11:37 AM

MASN: The 2019 season provides a chance to fully evaluate Mullins

http://www.masnsport...ic-mullins.html

#70 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 12 January 2019 - 11:58 AM

I have my doubts he can hit LHP at a reasonable level and some doubt about his defense in CF. But lets find out I guess. 

#71 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,000 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:10 PM

MASN: Cedric Mullins on his homer today and his spring
http://www.masnsport...his-spring.html

#72 FFH

FFH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 02:27 AM

So, Rob made a point about Mullins value going forward in the Hays thread.  He said in order for him to have real value he would have to have elite defense and north of .340 OBP.  

His bat profiles at solid power, low walk, and decent but unspectacular batting average. He's very fast, but he really hasn't been a consistent stolen base threat outside of one minor league season. 

Question here is, what can he really do for the club if he moves to LF?  How can he cover up his arm deficiency in CF? 

#73 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 07:23 AM

Jesus, are there any real center fielders who are any good in MLB anymore? Everyone I read about is deficient.

#74 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 March 2019 - 07:44 AM

Jesus, are there any real center fielders who are any good in MLB anymore? Everyone I read about is deficient.

A good CFer is as rare as an good SS, maybe even more rare actually.
  • Hooded Viper likes this

#75 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 March 2019 - 07:45 AM

So, Rob made a point about Mullins value going forward in the Hays thread. He said in order for him to have real value he would have to have elite defense and north of .340 OBP.

His bat profiles at solid power, low walk, and decent but unspectacular batting average. He's very fast, but he really hasn't been a consistent stolen base threat outside of one minor league season.

Question here is, what can he really do for the club if he moves to LF? How can he cover up his arm deficiency in CF?

If he can’t be a good OBp guy, high stolen base, elite corner defense OFer, I don’t see how he has value as anything more than a 4th or 5th OFer.

#76 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,000 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 04:07 PM

Off the bench today vs a tough lefty. 

Had 2 ab's, including a liner into right. 

#77 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,000 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 01:47 PM

Back to AAA.

#78 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,551 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 01:51 PM

Much deserved.

Hopefully he can get straightened out down there.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#79 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,000 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 01:54 PM

Much deserved.

Hopefully he can get straightened out down there.

It was a horrible stretch for sure (.334 OPS in 64 ab's), but it's just 64 ab's.  

He definitely was pressing.  Like you said, hopefully he goes down, figures things out, and earns his way back.

#80 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 02:13 PM

Only reason to do this would be if the struggles were having an impact on his mental approach.  If he was losing confidence, which is a natural reaction to how bad he's been, then it makes sense to send him down and have some success at AAA and then come back up to try it again.

As soon as he's back on track, get him back up here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=