• Please log in to reply
253 replies to this topic

#121 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 01:46 PM

And at least not provide stupid, idiotic quotes like that, which portray it is his belief. While ultimately PGA gets the blame, I'm perfectly fine with Duq receiving his fair share too. He isn't helping himself. That's on him.

To me, that quote doesn't portray it as his belief. It says that is the organizations philosophy. As an employee, he's stating the company position.

He's on the record of saying that the liked and scouted him prior to him signing his first pro contract...  (believe they event attempted to sign him).

#122 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 December 2017 - 01:49 PM

Has DD sat PA down and explained to him that the Japanese leagues are good and showed him why?  Has he broken down that if you look at the 20M as his salary, it doesn't look so bad?

Has he shown him the value of a player and that it won;t be hard for him to be worth 20M in one year?

#123 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 01:53 PM

Has DD sat PA down and explained to him that the Japanese leagues are good and showed him why?  Has he broken down that if you look at the 20M as his salary, it doesn't look so bad?

Has he shown him the value of a player and that it wont be hard for him to be worth 20M in one year?

Who knows?  If he hasn't, that's pathetic.... I would assume anyone would...... (maybe assuming incorrectly)...

We know in the entirety of Angelos tenure as owner, that he has a specific stance on obtaining international talent....

I don't think it matters what anyone says to Angelos in that regard.

#124 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:21 PM

Who knows?  If he hasn't, that's pathetic.... I would assume anyone would...... (maybe assuming incorrectly)...

We know in the entirety of Angelos tenure as owner, that he has a specific stance on obtaining international talent....

I don't think it matters what anyone says to Angelos in that regard.

I get that...but I do wonder if anyone has sat him down and shown him why you should do it for an established talent like Othani..combine that with your scouts and he should be able to be convinced about this.

I can see the stance on 16 y/o who have no experience.  Othani is different.

#125 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:43 PM

And he’s injured?

https://sports.yahoo...-035554341.html

#126 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:47 PM

And he’s injured?

If he had Tommy John, wonder if he could DH while rehabbing?

#127 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 12:30 AM

And he’s injured?

You think his not wanting to wait to come over wasn't suspicious. Two more years and he wouldve made so much more. If you're hurt you better take what money you can get whilevyou can get it

#128 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:31 AM

You think his not wanting to wait to come over wasn't suspicious. Two more years and he wouldve made so much more. If you're hurt you better take what money you can get whilevyou can get it

Wasn't he making (or going to make) much more in Japan than he is getting here?  The posting fee goes to his former team.  He's gonna get the few millions signing bonus and then make league minimum the next 3 years.

#129 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,661 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:48 AM

Dan has been defaulting to the "organizational philosophy" and "ownership decision" soundbytes a lot lately. Can't blame him.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#130 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:49 AM

Wasn't he making (or going to make) much more in Japan than he is getting here? The posting fee goes to his former team. He's gonna get the few millions signing bonus and then make league minimum the next 3 years.

Maybe you're right about his Japenese salary vs what he'll get here. I dont know. But the prestige of making the transition to being a MLB player has to mean a lot. If he broke down over there in the next few years the hype likely cools. Assuming he would actually still actually make it to MLB you have to think that kills a lot of endorsement money.

Also he only three 25 innings last year. That wasn't a red flag?

#131 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,661 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 09:05 AM

I think it's BS that WC teams have an obvious geographic advantage to signing marquee Asian players. They have the ability to choose which team they want to play for whereas smaller Asian FAs have to go to whatever team will actually sign them. IDK...just something that popped into my brain.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#132 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 14 December 2017 - 12:39 PM

Yes, it definitely sucks that players with lots of competition for their services have a choice on where they end up :P

@DJ_McCann

#133 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 02:59 PM

Yahoo: Shohei Ohtani's status in Yahoo Fantasy Baseball

https://sports.yahoo...-012323575.html

@BSLMikeRandall

#134 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 26 June 2021 - 08:11 AM

The Ringer: 10 Questions About Shohei Ohtani

#135 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 09:13 AM

The Ringer: How High Can Shohei Ohtani Raise the Bar?

#136 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 30 June 2021 - 10:57 AM

I'm fully expecting him to hit the warehouse in a game when the Angels come to Baltimore

#137 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 05:18 PM

I'm fully expecting him to hit the warehouse in a game when the Angels come to Baltimore

He’ll get the W and K 12 guys in the process.
@BSLMikeRandall

#138 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 13 August 2021 - 09:12 AM

CBS Sports: Shohei Ohtani contract: When Angels' two-way phenom hits free agency and what his salary looks like until then

https://www.cbssport...ike-until-then/

#139 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 07 July 2022 - 01:21 PM

#140 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 23 July 2022 - 02:34 PM

One of my off takes and one I would have been more confident in at the time I made it. Especially coming from Japan where while there have been hits there have also been misses. Its been shocking to me to see him have the amount of success he has had in the US. So yeah, Im still not a believer that hes going to be productive both ways for much longer but he could continue to keep making me look bad.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=