508 replies to this topic

#61 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:33 PM

I was a little anxious when they were down the table a bit, but I'm glad things have been coming together.

#62 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,726 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:45 AM

I was a little anxious when they were down the table a bit, but I'm glad things have been coming together.

They were always fine, even then they were still winning.  While that was going on all the other teams in the division were riding massive hot streaks.  Jackets, Flyers, Rags,  Caps just kept doing their thing and just ripped off a 9 game winning streak where they were beating quality teams.  The team is as good if not better than last years and is positioned to go on a deep playoff run.

Having said that the 9 game win streak ended last night against the Pens.  Kicking myself for missing this one,  the final was 8-7 in OT!

#63 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,376 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:48 AM

They were always fine, even then they were still winning.  While that was going on all the other teams in the division were riding massive hot streaks.  Jackets, Flyers, Rags,  Caps just kept doing their thing and just ripped off a 9 game winning streak where they were beating quality teams.  The team is as good if not better than last years and is positioned to go on a deep playoff run.

Having said that the 9 game win streak ended last night against the Pens.  Kicking myself for missing this one,  the final was 8-7 in OT!

So. Many. Bad. Calls.

@JeremyMStrain

#64 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:09 AM

Intense game, with 9 goals scored in the 2nd period alone, but truly horrible officiating. Obviously not a banner day for the goalies.

So many no-calls in Pittsburgh's favor though. The blatant trip in OT was possibly the worst, having led to the GWG, which came off of the second questionable goaltender interference of the game, and of course was not called either time. Oshie got assaulted by Hornqvist immediately after catching a high stick to the face, and, you guessed it, no call. Really one-sided.

#65 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,726 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 21 January 2017 - 10:40 PM

Quality game tonight in Dallas between the Stars and Caps. 3-3 here in the third. Big hits, big fights, quality special teams. Highly entertaining

#66 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,000 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 08:44 PM

Washington Times: Fatigue is showing in latter half of back-to-backs for Capitals

#67 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,726 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 05 February 2017 - 05:08 PM

Caps had a gritty win over the Habs yesterday 3-2 in Montreal.  They followed that up  with a 5-0 waxing of the Kings today at the Phone Booth.    If you haven't been paying attention, you need to be.  This team is loaded and even better than last years outfit.

The Vezina trophy winner is even better this year, on top of that Grubauer has been a solid backup.  The defense has been great as the Caps are leading the league in Goals Allowed, having great goal tending is a big part of that, but there have been plenty of nights where the Caps have shut their opponent down and limited their opportunities.

The depth has been improved upon so much so that I don't think you see them make a move before the deadline.  Trading for Ellers in the offseason and adding Connolly were the moves you needed to make.  No reason to add a piece that isn't needed and disrupt the chemistry.

One of the issues last year was that the Caps were constantly allowing the first goal to their opponent.  I don't have the numbers in front of me right now but they have been much better about that this year.

The offensive depth has been tremendous.  Ovie has been a bit "down" this year and you wouldn't even notice.   Backstrom is leading the team in points and you wouldn't even know it.  After a slow start, Kuzy is rolling again like we would expect for him.  Williams, Oshie and Mojo should all hit the 20 goal mark this year.

I know some will say who cares, and I get that.  I just wanted to point out that this year's team is primed to go on a deep run come playoff time;

• Markus likes this

#68 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,376 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 06:06 PM

Caps had a gritty win over the Habs yesterday 3-2 in Montreal.  They followed that up  with a 5-0 waxing of the Kings today at the Phone Booth.    If you haven't been paying attention, you need to be.  This team is loaded and even better than last years outfit.

The Vezina trophy winner is even better this year, on top of that Grubauer has been a solid backup.  The defense has been great as the Caps are leading the league in Goals Allowed, having great goal tending is a big part of that, but there have been plenty of nights where the Caps have shut their opponent down and limited their opportunities.

The depth has been improved upon so much so that I don't think you see them make a move before the deadline.  Trading for Ellers in the offseason and adding Connolly were the moves you needed to make.  No reason to add a piece that isn't needed and disrupt the chemistry.

One of the issues last year was that the Caps were constantly allowing the first goal to their opponent.  I don't have the numbers in front of me right now but they have been much better about that this year.

The offensive depth has been tremendous.  Ovie has been a bit "down" this year and you wouldn't even notice.   Backstrom is leading the team in points and you wouldn't even know it.  After a slow start, Kuzy is rolling again like we would expect for him.  Williams, Oshie and Mojo should all hit the 20 goal mark this year.

I know some will say who cares, and I get that.  I just wanted to point out that this year's team is primed to go on a deep run come playoff time;

Vegas is taking Gruby.

@JeremyMStrain

#69 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,726 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 06 February 2017 - 06:15 AM

Vegas is taking Gruby.

Can they take Orpik too?

#70 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,376 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 10:28 AM

Can they take Orpik too?

Ha. Nope, only one player per team. He's going to be looking to WAS for a young, controllable player, because he knows most of them pretty well, and with the younger less proven ones they are more of a wild card.

Obviously depends on if there are any surprises left unprotected, but I'm pretty positive he's already got Gruby on his board as taken. A young, controlled Goalie, who has talent, but is blocked by one of the best players in the league? It's a no-brainer, even if he loses out on someone like AB, or Orlov, who I could also see being left out there.

@JeremyMStrain

#71 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,726 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 06 February 2017 - 10:40 AM

Ha. Nope, only one player per team. He's going to be looking to WAS for a young, controllable player, because he knows most of them pretty well, and with the younger less proven ones they are more of a wild card.

Obviously depends on if there are any surprises left unprotected, but I'm pretty positive he's already got Gruby on his board as taken. A young, controlled Goalie, who has talent, but is blocked by one of the best players in the league? It's a no-brainer, even if he loses out on someone like AB, or Orlov, who I could also see being left out there.

Yeah I know, just venting about that.  Next year's roster is going to look alot different and it sucks because we are certainly going to lose someone because we will be stuck paying Orpik.

The only issue is Gruby will only be under control (RFA) for one year.  I guess that's not a bad way to go, take a young goalie who has some upside.  Give him a year to see if he can handle being the #1 goalie before deciding if you want to commit to him long term.

#72 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,376 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 10:52 AM

Yeah I know, just venting about that.  Next year's roster is going to look alot different and it sucks because we are certainly going to lose someone because we will be stuck paying Orpik.

The only issue is Gruby will only be under control (RFA) for one year.  I guess that's not a bad way to go, take a young goalie who has some upside.  Give him a year to see if he can handle being the #1 goalie before deciding if you want to commit to him long term.

Yeah, the flat cap will have more impact than the expansion believe it or not. What I worry is that we may lose Alzner, who is our best defensive defenseman. Similar style to Orpik but younger and cheaper.

Yeah, but they will extend him. He's going to be itching to get out from under Holtby anyway, he'd be happy to sign a couple year contract with them for a chance to shine.

• DuffMan likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#73 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 February 2017 - 01:28 PM

Glad the Caps are still a great regular season club, but nothing will impress me until they hoist Lord Stanley's Cup.
  • Dupin likes this

#74 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 February 2017 - 01:49 PM

Or maybe even beat the fucking Penguins in the playoffs. But they'd probably just choke in the ECF if they did.
  • Dupin likes this

#75 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,726 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 07 February 2017 - 07:53 AM

Or maybe even beat the fucking Penguins in the playoffs. But they'd probably just choke in the ECF if they did.

They'll get their chance.   Very likely these two will square off again in the Conference Semi Finals again this Spring.

#76 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 February 2017 - 08:26 AM

They'll get their chance.   Very likely these two will square off again in the Conference Semi Finals again this Spring.

Yep - due to the new seeding, this is going to be a regular thing. Like the Ravens, maybe overcoming the Penguins curse (New England after Cundiff) will springboard them to their first title. One can hope. 

Also, yes, I'm a negative nancy about this - but I've enjoyed this season. Good hockey is a lot of fun to watch. 

• JeremyStrain and DuffMan like this

#77 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 February 2017 - 08:49 AM

I love Grubs but I'd be very comfortable losing him, given our goalie situation and the fact that otherwise, one of our young forwards would likely be taken. That's best case scenario in terms of impact on the team.

#78 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,376 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:02 AM

I love Grubs but I'd be very comfortable losing him, given our goalie situation and the fact that otherwise, one of our young forwards would likely be taken. That's best case scenario in terms of impact on the team.

Yeah we aren't going to have a choice. He's going to sign a good sized RFA deal somewhere if we don't move him anyway. He's been too good and he's completely blocked.

I'm thinking they are hoping Vanecek is ready for some NHL experience next year, in case Samsonov doesn't make it back next year from Russia, as is the current plan. They are both pretty close talent wise, kinda similar to Varly and Neuvy when they were first coming up, coincidence one is from Russia and one is from Czech. Deja Vu.

@JeremyMStrain

#79 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,726 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 08 February 2017 - 11:13 AM

Caps now have 10 players with at least 10 goals, how's that for balance?

• Mike in STL likes this

#80 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:43 PM

Going all in with that Shattenkirk deal.  This has got to be the year, right?  RIGHT?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=