#81 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,737 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:11 AM

Going all in with that Shattenkirk deal.  This has got to be the year, right?  RIGHT?

all-in-push.jpg

• Dupin likes this

#82 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,737 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:13 AM

I'm kind of surprised they've made this move, chemistry and production haven been great.   I wonder if this was in part to Orpik and Niskannen getting dinged up over the weekend?  

#83 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:28 AM

I'm kind of surprised they've made this move, chemistry and production haven been great.   I wonder if this was in part to Orpik and Niskannen getting dinged up over the weekend?  

Pretty much exactly it. Just because a guy is a top 4 defenseman, doesn't mean he has to play in the top 4. On a deep enough team, the 6th best guy is a top 4 defenseman. Injuries had them scared a little bit, but just means you are looking at Alzner, Carlson, Niskanen, Orpik, Orlov and Shattenkirk. That's pretty dirty as far as D corps go.

A little nervous about tinkering with things, but depth is always needed down the stretch, and if you're going to add depth why not starter quality? I'm sure they talked to Oshie about him before they made a deal, and lets not overlook that they got Copely back to be a 3rd Goalie while the kids develop too, that shouldn't be swept away (also probably locks in what I said about them making Grubs available and knowing GMGM is going to nab him).

• DuffMan likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#84 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,737 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:42 AM

Pretty much exactly it. Just because a guy is a top 4 defenseman, doesn't mean he has to play in the top 4. On a deep enough team, the 6th best guy is a top 4 defenseman. Injuries had them scared a little bit, but just means you are looking at Alzner, Carlson, Niskanen, Orpik, Orlov and Shattenkirk. That's pretty dirty as far as D corps go.

A little nervous about tinkering with things, but depth is always needed down the stretch, and if you're going to add depth why not starter quality? I'm sure they talked to Oshie about him before they made a deal, and lets not overlook that they got Copely back to be a 3rd Goalie while the kids develop too, that shouldn't be swept away (also probably locks in what I said about them making Grubs available and knowing GMGM is going to nab him).

That's my only concern as well.  I had liked MacClellan's comments he had previously made about "we made our deadline moves in the Summer (Eller)".  But like you said this is a legit guy they are adding, so hopefully the risk pays off.

Fully agree that they asked for Copely to help cover the likely loss of Grubauer. 

• JeremyStrain likes this

#85 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:12 AM

That's my only concern as well.  I had liked MacClellan's comments he had previously made about "we made our deadline moves in the Summer (Eller)".  But like you said this is a legit guy they are adding, so hopefully the risk pays off.

Fully agree that they asked for Copely to help cover the likely loss of Grubauer. 

It's funny, cause Copely was the MUST HAVE in the Oshie deal, so basically we got Shattenkirk and Oshie, arguably their two best players, for a couple AAA depth guys, a late first in a really weak draft and a conditional pick that moves around based on if we resign Shattenkirk. Now if we can extend Oshie, which is apparently in the works, we'll really be talking.

Worried about what we have to let go this offseason though. I'd much rather get out of Orpik's deal than have Alzner leave. I think it's either Oshie or Alzner though, not both. I'd be fine with trading some stuff to Las Vegas to free up some money to re-sign Alzner.

Actually...hold that thought, I'm gonna make a separate post.

@JeremyMStrain

#86 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:27 AM

Projected Cap next year $73m

Salary tied up $50m

Estimated room: $22m

RFA:

Orlov - 2.5m

Connolly - 800k

Burakovsky - 800k

Kuzy - 3m

Grubs - 750k

UFA:

Alzner - 2.5m

Shattenkirk - 2.8m

Winnik - 2.25m

Williams - 3.25m

Oshie - 4.2m

If you gave the RFA each 50% raises it'd cost 11m, that leaves 11m to spend, which might get you Oshie, Alzner and some change left over. If you dealt Orlov and MoJo to Las Vegas, you'd have another $8m to resign Shattenkirk to replace Orlov, and Williams or Winnik maybe to replace MoJo. There's more that can be done besides just letting people walk, and there's a way to keep Alzner and Oshie without gutting the team. They'd just have to move some salary for the mid roster role players. For me, Shattenkirk > Orlov and MoJo isn't worth his cap hit.

• DuffMan and Markus like this
@JeremyMStrain

#87 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,737 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:23 AM

Nice take on where things stand and what kind of options they have.    I'm inclined to let Williams walk myself.  Big fan of his and he's been a great fit for this team, I just think he's going to command too big and long of a contract to warrant keeping a guy who's already 35. Too much "paying for what he's done" instead of "what he'll do".

#88 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 11:02 AM

Nice take on where things stand and what kind of options they have.    I'm inclined to let Williams walk myself.  Big fan of his and he's been a great fit for this team, I just think he's going to command too big and long of a contract to warrant keeping a guy who's already 35. Too much "paying for what he's done" instead of "what he'll do".

See I think he's at the point he will start taking shorter cheaper deals to play with a contender until he's ineffective. I could see him signing for 2 years/$5m and I'd do it at that rate. I wouldn't sign him for more than he's getting now or more than 2 years, but he could be a good fit at the right rate. If not, I'm sure there are other guys in similar skill sets you could get for a couple mil that would sign with a cup favorite. A guy like Vanek, or Sharp could be in the same situation. If we are talking aging vets taking less to compete a year at a time Williams is higher on the list for me than an unknown in the locker room or lineup. I could also get behind using that money wisely somewhere else...they do have guys like Bowey who need to start getting NHL time that can offset some expense.

@JeremyMStrain

#89 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,737 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 28 February 2017 - 11:20 AM

See I think he's at the point he will start taking shorter cheaper deals to play with a contender until he's ineffective. I could see him signing for 2 years/$5m and I'd do it at that rate. I wouldn't sign him for more than he's getting now or more than 2 years, but he could be a good fit at the right rate. If not, I'm sure there are other guys in similar skill sets you could get for a couple mil that would sign with a cup favorite. A guy like Vanek, or Sharp could be in the same situation. If we are talking aging vets taking less to compete a year at a time Williams is higher on the list for me than an unknown in the locker room or lineup. I could also get behind using that money wisely somewhere else...they do have guys like Bowey who need to start getting NHL time that can offset some expense.

If he takes 2/5 then I'm right there with you.  I just think that he might try and get one more big contract.   If (biggest if) the Caps do win the Cup, that would give Williams  4 rings.  At that point,  will getting another ring still be his top priority or will he take the highest deal he can get?  He does fit in well on this team and seems to enjoy playing for the Caps so maybe dollars aren't his top priority.

#90 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 11:32 AM

If he takes 2/5 then I'm right there with you.  I just think that he might try and get one more big contract.   If (biggest if) the Caps do win the Cup, that would give Williams  4 rings.  At that point,  will getting another ring still be his top priority or will he take the highest deal he can get?  He does fit in well on this team and seems to enjoy playing for the Caps so maybe dollars aren't his top priority.

Could be for sure. There are quite a few guys out there in that 35-40 range that should keep that market from asking for too much money, but you never know what crazy FA is going to do, especially when there's a bunch of parity out there and an expansion draft.

@JeremyMStrain

#91 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,737 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 01 March 2017 - 08:37 AM

https://www.washingt...m=.0cec83d47052

Some good insight into how the deal went down.  Confirms what we were saying, that this in large part came about because of the injuries the other day.

• JeremyStrain likes this

#92 Tim Keogh

Tim Keogh
  • Members
  • 12 posts
  • LocationWoodbine, MD

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:06 PM

Do they have enough to get The Cup?

Tim Keogh

#93 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:09 PM

Yes. But they won't. Unless you consider the President's Trophy "The Cup".

#94 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:16 PM

This is their year. Gotta believe. Positive vibes for the C-A-P-S, Caps, Caps, Caps.
  • Dupin likes this

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#95 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 01:58 AM

This is their year. Gotta believe. Positive vibes for the C-A-P-S, Caps, Caps, Caps.

If this isn't the year, it might never happen.

• Mike in STL likes this

#96 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 09:29 AM

CSN Mid-Atlantic: Caps survive slugfest with Flyers to extend home win streak
http://www.csnmidatl...home-win-streak

#97 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,737 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 10 March 2017 - 07:09 AM

Well some things never change, Caps lose to the Sharks in San Jose.

#98 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:35 PM

Two weeks, I'll be looking live.  We better win, I'm wearing my Caps gear to work and talking trash.

• DuffMan likes this

#99 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,737 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:14 AM

After a 4 game skid the Caps are back to their winning ways.  Pretty solid effort last night in a 4-2 win over the Wild (Stanley Cup final preview???).   Too many penalties for sure, but the effort was much better than it had been.   Shattenkirk missed 2 games with suspension and Burakovsky should be back next week so it will be nice to get the team back to full capacity and everyone ready to go for the playoffs.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#100 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:37 AM

After a 4 game skid the Caps are back to their winning ways.  Pretty solid effort last night in a 4-2 win over the Wild (Stanley Cup final preview???).   Too many penalties for sure, but the effort was much better than it had been.   Shattenkirk missed 2 games with suspension and Burakovsky should be back next week so it will be nice to get the team back to full capacity and everyone ready to go for the playoffs.

I've been so wrapped up in some other stuff going on in my personal life... I've heard a lot of rumblings that Caps fans aren't at all pleased with Shattenkirk yet. Your thoughts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=