#81 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 December 2017 - 12:37 PM

FYI, like some others, I went to see the original film in 1977, and it altered the course of my life. I was a HUGE fan.

I saw The Last Jedi last night and enjoyed it. It was exciting and had some memorable wow moments, though there were also some things I thought were a bit of a head-scratcher. I've never liked Adam Driver as Kylo Ren, and that continues to really gnaw at me. Overall, good movie, but not great.&nbsp;<br />

FWIW I liked it as much as The Force Awakens and Rogue One... giving it roughly an 7.5 - 8 out of 10.

#82 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,555 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 15 December 2017 - 06:36 PM

Saw it. Liked it a lot. Didn’t love it. Definitely not as good as Force Awakens. Need to see it again.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#83 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 15 December 2017 - 08:25 PM

Saw it. Liked it a lot. Didn’t love it. Definitely not as good as Force Awakens. Need to see it again.

A lot to take in?

@JeremyMStrain

#84 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,555 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 08:44 PM

A lot to take in?

There was some stuff I hated. Leia floating though space was incredibly stupid. Luke was meh.

I liked the overall plot. The action sequences were awesome. And I think it’s set up for an unreal Episode IX
  • JeremyStrain likes this

@bopper33

#85 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,555 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 08:45 PM

And if we don’t learn anything else about Snoke that would be sorta stupid. He was the big big antagonist in Force Awakens and now he’s just...gone? Sorta dumb.

@bopper33

#86 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 15 December 2017 - 11:25 PM

I hated this movie.

Sure, it had bells and whistles. Special effects were good.

Whoopie.

What it did wrong was make up a bunch of silly force stuff that didn’t fit anything previously. Yoda was funny acting which made zero sense. They totally messed up Luke; snarky, quippy, even a shade of dishonesty? Sorry, that’s not the Luke I knew thru three movies.

More power to people who enjoyed it. Disney will need you all for its investment. Count me out after 40 years of being a fan.

#87 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 12:00 AM

I hated this movie.

Sure, it had bells and whistles. Special effects were good.

Whoopie.

What it did wrong was make up a bunch of silly force stuff that didn’t fit anything previously. Yoda was funny acting which made zero sense. They totally messed up Luke; snarky, quippy, even a shade of dishonesty? Sorry, that’s not the Luke I knew thru three movies.

More power to people who enjoyed it. Disney will need you all for its investment. Count me out after 40 years of being a fan.

That's the point, he's wallowing in his failure as a teacher and the fact that he feels responsible for Ben's turn.  Makes total sense from a character perspective.  I loved grumpy old Luke.

The character pieces all made sense.  The connective tissue and non Rey/Luke storylines are what's actually bad.  The main plot thread defies logic.

#88 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 12:18 AM

I understand the wallowing aspect, but it’s not the Luke I knew and thus I reject it. Sorry.

#89 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 12:39 AM

My outlook on Luke is influenced by my era. Episodes 4-6 weren’t just three movies; they were six formative years in my life. Luke was consistently honest, earnest, and serious while battling thru the psychological pressures of light vs. dark. This Luke wasn’t.

And how does it make sense that in Ep 5 Yoda begs Luke to stay to complete his training, but here he dismisses the Jedi scholarship as unimportant, that Rey knew everything she needed when in reality she’d undergone less training from Luke than Luke had received from Yoda and Obi Wan? Disney should respect what came before its era more than that.

#90 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 04:00 PM

I don't think that's what Yoda was doing, he was saying the Jedi was about more than what was in some old books.  And he told him (again) to pass on what he had learned.  That's why him just dying from exertion sucked, but I assume he'll be back in 9 as a Force ghost to pass on some lessons to Rey.

I'm not saying I don't prefer the 'legacy' post-Endor universe, in which the Republic actually seems to have been a strong government and Luke does successfully rebuild the Jedi Order.

#91 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 December 2017 - 04:49 PM

This is obviously an out with the old, in with the new.

No issue with Luke dying. The series isn’t about him anymore. You can’t have him hanging around. It’s like the Creed movies...you can’t have Rocky hanging around for a while either.

I also don’t care about Snoke dying. The emperor in the first 3 movies never was a big deal for the most part...until Return of the Jedi. You can’t have the same plot line where he lives, bring back for the 9th one and then someone kills him, Blah blah blah.

What I had read is that they wanted this to be different than the original 3..and it was.

I thought TFa was overrated. I thought it was good but not great. I felt the same way about this. It was good but I didn’t leave the theatre thinking it was some great movie. I still don’t find Kylo Ren to be believable as a bad ass. That’s my biggest problem with these.

He isn’t some unstoppable force and doesn’t give you the aura of invincibility Vader did. He seems too easily beatable. Even in this one, Rae had to kind of save him against some ordinary dude that had him in a choke.

#92 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 December 2017 - 05:00 PM

My outlook on Luke is influenced by my era. Episodes 4-6 weren’t just three movies; they were six formative years in my life. Luke was consistently honest, earnest, and serious while battling thru the psychological pressures of light vs. dark. This Luke wasn’t.

And how does it make sense that in Ep 5 Yoda begs Luke to stay to complete his training, but here he dismisses the Jedi scholarship as unimportant, that Rey knew everything she needed when in reality she’d undergone less training from Luke than Luke had received from Yoda and Obi Wan? Disney should respect what came before its era more than that.

I have always hated the inconsistencies of the movies.

Luke never wanted to “give into hate” but yet he did with Kylo Ren.

#93 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 16 December 2017 - 05:38 PM

My biggest problem is that the movie was too long, and fell into the Return of the King problem of having about a half-dozen ending points. But it was fun, and I liked it, and I'll probably see it in theaters again.

Then again: space bombers? Wtf?
@DJ_McCann

#94 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,235 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:25 PM

I don't think that's what Yoda was doing, he was saying the Jedi was about more than what was in some old books.  And he told him (again) to pass on what he had learned.  That's why him just dying from exertion sucked, but I assume he'll be back in 9 as a Force ghost to pass on some lessons to Rey.   I'm not saying I don't prefer the 'legacy' post-Endor universe, in which the Republic actually seems to have been a strong government and Luke does successfully rebuild the Jedi Order.

And yet the old books were saved, you can see them on the Falcon in the final scene.

#95 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:40 PM

The whole movie was nonsensical. So Luke is disenchanted with Jedi and the Force, yet he picks an old temple for the location of his death as he stands guard over the ancient books that he cares nothing about as his sister fights alone at the risk of her life.

I’m sorry, but that’s not Luke. I’m gonna see a psychiatrist in hopes I can purge that filth from my brain.

#96 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 December 2017 - 07:27 AM

The whole Guardians of the Galaxy scene where Leia is in space and then gets back inside was stupid.

#97 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 December 2017 - 07:29 AM

And with all the buildup about who Rae’s parents are, turns out they are likely nobodies?

Or was that just what was said in this one but really it will be revealed they are someone important?

#98 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,235 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 17 December 2017 - 09:04 AM

I enjoyed it. But hell, I'm a Star Wars fan and I'll likely enjoy anything that they put out.

Things I didn't like:

1. The Leia floating scene. Cheesy cheesy cheesy.

2. Snoke's death. Hoping that isn't the end. Just seems incredibly odd how they built this character up to be a big bad guy and he's killed in the middle of the movie.

3. Rey's parents. Are they really nobody? Perhaps, but like Snoke's death, seems anticlimactic.

Interested to see how Episode 9 goes from here.

#99 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 December 2017 - 09:35 AM

I enjoyed it. But hell, I'm a Star Wars fan and I'll likely enjoy anything that they put out.

Things I didn't like:

1. The Leia floating scene. Cheesy cheesy cheesy.

2. Snoke's death. Hoping that isn't the end. Just seems incredibly odd how they built this character up to be a big bad guy and he's killed in the middle of the movie.

3. Rey's parents. Are they really nobody? Perhaps, but like Snoke's death, seems anticlimactic.

Interested to see how Episode 9 goes from here.

But did they really do that? 

We never really saw what he could do with the force.

#100 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,235 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 17 December 2017 - 09:44 AM

But did they really do that? 

We never really saw what he could do with the force.

Not really in the movie, no. But from cast interviews, my expectations were high.

I'm still in my post-watch review reading articles and Reddit, and one thing that someone mentioned that his death is pretty much in-line with how the Sith operates in that the apprentice will ultimately always kill the master and take control. So perhaps I was too initially critical.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=