186 replies to this topic

#181 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 08:36 AM

Watched it again last night for the first time since the theater. The first time around I enjoyed it well enough...thought there were some obvious complaints, but none so big as to go FULL TROLL on line and call for Rian Johnson's head on a platter. So, I basically felt the same time the second time, except, I think it got better with a repeat viewing. I like when franchises subvert expectations. TLJ did some of that -- Rey's parentage, Luke and I appreciated that more the second time around. I could launch into a whole thesis about what I liked and didn't like about the movie but it's been done for the last 2 years and probably better than I could ever say it, so I will leave it at this: TLJ is the 4th best SW movie that exists out of the 10 live action films they've released so far.

• BSLChrisStoner and Mashed Potatoes like this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#182 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 01 March 2022 - 09:32 AM

Watched it again last night. I think it gets even better with repeat viewings. Still some major flaws but overall it's an excellent film.

• Mashed Potatoes likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#183 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 01 March 2022 - 09:34 AM

Watched it again last night. I think it gets even better with repeat viewings. Still some major flaws but overall it's an excellent film.

Cut out that whole adventure Finn and Rose went on to the other planet and it's even better.

#184 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 01 March 2022 - 09:40 AM

Cut out that whole adventure Finn and Rose went on to the other planet and it's even better.

That's where the movie gets its most heavy-handed. RICH PEOPLE BAD! So yeah it's not my favorite part of the movie but it's not a trainwreck either.

I could have done without Leia Poppins, Akbar's death being a passing line, and the entire character of Holdo. All of that could have been streamlined into a more fan service-y plot like, just have Admiral Akbar do what Holdo does.

#185 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 01 March 2022 - 09:50 AM

That's where the movie gets its most heavy-handed. RICH PEOPLE BAD! So yeah it's not my favorite part of the movie but it's not a trainwreck either.

I could have done without Leia Poppins, Akbar's death being a passing line, and the entire character of Holdo. All of that could have been streamlined into a more fan service-y plot like, just have Admiral Akbar do what Holdo does.

I didn't like the Leia Poppins scene initially either, but I just recently rewatched Star Wars:  Rebels (possibly my favorite Star Wars story) and they did something very similar to that in their show so I am more okay with it now.

#186 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 01 March 2022 - 12:56 PM

Definitely feel like ROS deflated the entire new trilogy the way the finale of Game of Thrones deflated the entire show. Granted TFA or TLJ weren't as good as GOT was at its best but they were solid movies in the series. ROS crapped the bed. Had they stuck the landing I think the trilogy would be a lot more revered than it is.

• BobPhelan and Mackus like this

#187 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 03 March 2022 - 12:05 PM

Definitely feel like ROS deflated the entire new trilogy the way the finale of Game of Thrones deflated the entire show. Granted TFA or TLJ weren't as good as GOT was at its best but they were solid movies in the series. ROS crapped the bed. Had they stuck the landing I think the trilogy would be a lot more revered than it is.

I was never much a fan of his Trek movies, but JJ Abrams has lost all credibility with me after ROS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=