#41 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 01 August 2016 - 10:56 PM

Yeah, I was surprised by their post... have to think it will be longer, if for no other reason then the street itself figures to be shut down for sometime and parking might not be available.... guess the firehouse lot might be fine. Looked like the parking behind Lapa's is currently fucked.

Yea that's the lot they kept showing overhead shots of via helicopter. That whole area is bad. Can't imagine Lapa's wasn't really hit hard

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#42 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 07:54 AM

Oh I had heard Tersiguels was destroyed. Glad it wasn't.

I was going off of their FB message which said they weren't in as bad of shape as their peers...

But I see Katie has a gofundme going for Tersiguels with some detail....

- 1st floor flooded, lost their wine cellar...

- Haven't been able to enter the building to determine the full extent of the damage...

- Insurance for them (and the others) didn't include flood insurance, so will have to rebuild on their own...

#43 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:19 AM

Well this is bad.

How can you own a business on Main Street and not include flood insurance in your policy?

@bopper33

#44 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:39 AM

Ellicott Mills Brewing Company was my spot for a few years. But I love all the spots in EC. Very, very sad. Hits way too close to home obviously. But businesses can be rebuilt, I'm just glad there was only the one fatality. And some of the news stories of people helping during the bad part of it is pretty inspiring.

https://www.reddit.c...and_last_night/ 

#45 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:45 AM

Two fatalities Ricker.

@bopper33

#46 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:48 AM

I was wondering how this happened, but there are creeks running beneath EC, houses are built over them...they must've swelled and flooded. But it's crazy to think that this happened so fast, and became so strong. I know this may come off a certain way but I don't mean it to but it's crazy to think that this could happen in this day and age, in America, in Maryland -- minutes from where most of us live. Just insane what mother nature can do.

Ellicott City has always been one of my favorite places in the world. I grew up in Catonsville, spent a lot of time there growing up, it always held some kind of sway over me...the history, the ghost stories, all of it. Spent my 21st birthday there, spent countless days there just wandering around and exploring the woods too. Kayaking on the river...

It's so sad. I dont even know if I can bring myself to see the damage.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#47 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:59 AM

This:

Many of the most devastating disasters — including Saturday's — came as water poured into the valley of the Tiber River. The Patapsco tributary runs through the heart of Ellicott City's downtown, passing through and underneath the Main Street corridor.

The town is prone to that sort of flooding because it's built almost entirely on granite, with little soil to absorb water in a big storm. Water comes in from all directions but the east, where the Patapsco is forced into a narrow ravine between Ellicott City and neighboring Oella.

http://www.baltimore...0801-story.html

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#48 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:04 AM

I was going off of their FB message which said they weren't in as bad of shape as their peers...

But I see Katie has a gofundme going for Tersiguels with some detail....

- 1st floor flooded, lost their wine cellar...

- Haven't been able to enter the building to determine the full extent of the damage...

- Insurance for them (and the others) didn't include flood insurance, so will have to rebuild on their own...

Well this is bad.

How can you own a business on Main Street and not include flood insurance in your policy?

Yeah this is surprising to me.  I've got friends who live nearby, and I'm about 95% certain that Old EC is in an official flood zone, which means that any mortgage company that gives someone a loan for a house there will insist that they carry flood insurance (which is not a part of typical homeowner's insurance), same deal applies to lower Fells Point, it floods frequently so anybody who owns a house there has to get flood insurance in order for the bank to sign off on the loan.

Obviously commercial real estate must have different rules, because this isn't the first place I've heard mention that they didn't have any flood insurance.  My guess would be the landlord/owners have to carry flood insurance on the structure, but maybe the tenants (businesses) can decide whether or not they get insurance on their possessions and most have decided against it.  Just a guess, though.  Hope most of the places down there are properly insured and don't have to eat all these losses.  Hard to see a business come back from that sort of loss without any insurance.

#49 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:07 AM

Flood insurance there probably costs a zillion dollars, though.

One theory I've seen is that there's been a lot of new development uphill from Main Street - new rec center, town houses, etc - so the rain now just flows downhill over all of the new pavement.  No idea if there's anything too that, though.

#50 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:07 AM

Well this is bad.

Don't know for sure, but a lot of insurance companies just flat out won't give you coverage in high risk areas, so they may not have been ABLE to get flood insurance there.

Same as beach rentals, they won't give you certain coverages or they will charge you 10x the rate for those charges. Depends on where you are.

@JeremyMStrain

#51 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:17 AM

Flood insurance there probably costs a zillion dollars, though.

One theory I've seen is that there's been a lot of new development uphill from Main Street - new rec center, town houses, etc - so the rain now just flows downhill over all of the new pavement.  No idea if there's anything too that, though.

It is. It was mentioned in the article I quoted and linked to from above.

They're saying now that the downtown area is in shambles, now is a good time to install some flood-preventing infrastructure...widening the Tiber River, installing flood vents beneath the houses in the historic district or building parking decks with flood vents and ponds beneath them for run off.

With changing weather patterns, this kind of thing could happen again in our lifetime. There's already been two large floods in the last five years so doing something while you can is probably a good idea.

#52 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:17 AM

http://www.baltimore...0801-story.html

#53 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,737 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:18 AM

The Phoenix is the one that hurts the most. I've been going there forever, know so many of the bartenders (past and present). Hell, my name is on the wall there.

It will never be the same. If I had only known that the last time I walked out of there...

Dean!

#54 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:24 AM

They're saying now that the downtown area is in shambles, now is a good time to install some flood-preventing infrastructure...widening the Tiber River, installing flood vents beneath the houses in the historic district or building parking decks with flood vents and ponds beneath them for run off.

This is a very good idea.  The area is completely shutdown for the time being and, at the risk of sounding uncaring, much of the demo work has already been done for a project like this. 

#55 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:34 AM

Chris, an interview with your friend with the restaurant in EC might be an interesting article for this site.  It could maybe be an ongoing series.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#56 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:46 AM

Dean!

Yup.  Dean has served me a beer or 70.  He ended up working at Jilly's for a bit after that -- not sure what he's up to now.

• DuffMan likes this

@bopper33

#57 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,737 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:53 AM

Yup.  Dean has served me a beer or 70.  He ended up working at Jilly's for a bit after that -- not sure what he's up to now.

Do you know what happened that made him leave Phoenix.  I remember the bar was going to have a big party at the bar for him and next time I was back there he was gone.  I tried asking his son (I think his name was Justin) about it one time but he didn't really give any details.

#58 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 10:07 AM

Chris, an interview with your friend with the restaurant in EC might be an interesting article for this site.  It could maybe be an ongoing series.

Guess I do know a couple of them, maybe I'll reach out.

#59 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 10:17 AM

Don't know for sure, but a lot of insurance companies just flat out won't give you coverage in high risk areas, so they may not have been ABLE to get flood insurance there.

Same as beach rentals, they won't give you certain coverages or they will charge you 10x the rate for those charges. Depends on where you are.

I live in a place that's zoned for hurricanes... you can *always* get flood insurance, it's just a question of how much it costs...

Owners of buildings in a flood zone will have it if they have a mortgage on the property, simply because the lender will make them have it... but it's a separate thing, much of which is federally subsidized... it's never part of standard coverage...

Rental occupants may not have it... it's one of those things that people don't ordinarily think about unless some bad news story is fresh in their mind...  I dunno if the feds subsidize flood insurance for rentals they way they do for property owners... I think they don't, but I don't know why I think that...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#60 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 11:48 AM

Co8u2DwWgAAl7eb.jpg

• Mackus and Pedro Cerrano like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors