178 replies to this topic

#41 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 03:03 PM

DD is the master of talking forever and saying nothing. 

It's part of the job...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#42 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 July 2016 - 03:23 PM

It's part of the job...

I am just not a fan of DD.  I think he has done a poor job of building for the future, and done a poor job of being creative and creating depth of the pitching staff.  part of it, may  be the fault of all the Angelos roadblocks, but we have no depth in the rotation, , one major league left hander in the organization and limited prospects to trade for them.  Much of that falls on DD.

The man has gotten way more credit for the turn around then deserved IMO.

@mikeghg

#43 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 July 2016 - 03:45 PM

No way it'll happen. WAY too soon, and they'd have to add him to the 40 man and start his controllable years clock, this is why they don't do ML contracts anymore.

I tend to doubt it too...That being said, if he isn't in the majors at some point next year, barring injury, we may not care that his clock already started.

#44 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 11 July 2016 - 05:11 PM

I am just not a fan of DD.  I think he has done a poor job of building for the future, and done a poor job of being creative and creating depth of the pitching staff.  part of it, may  be the fault of all the Angelos roadblocks, but we have no depth in the rotation, , one major league left hander in the organization and limited prospects to trade for them.  Much of that falls on DD.

The man has gotten way more credit for the turn around then deserved IMO.

It's really hard to know with the Angelos family in charge of him. In OOTP he would probably have a "meddling" personality with a "win now" expectation.

That said, our depth is concerning to say the least.

#45 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 July 2016 - 06:06 PM

PA can meddle and DD still not be much more than average.

#46 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 July 2016 - 06:06 PM

It's really hard to know with the Angelos family in charge of him. In OOTP he would probably have a "meddling" personality with a "win now" expectation.

That said, our depth is concerning to say the least.

I agree that the Angelos factor plays a role.  A good GM finds ways to get things done.

No depth, no left handed pitching, poor farm system, very little international effort...sure Angelos plays a role. but for someone who is supposed to be so smart, his creativity is lacking.

• Icterus galbula and dude like this
@mikeghg

#47 Baby Birdland

Baby Birdland
  • Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:30 PM

One of our writers at Baby Birdland wrote about Sedlock today if you want to check it out (https://baltimorespo...-round.html?m=0 ). I like what I have seen from Sedlock so far.

Next year will be interesting with him likely starting at Delmarva.

#48 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 08:15 AM

MASN: Cody Sedlock has strong outing in Aberdeen
http://www.masnsport...s-os-notes.html

#49 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 08:35 AM

Hardball Scoop: EXCLUSIVE: Baltimore Orioles' first-round pick Cody Sedlock talks professional debut, future
http://www.scout.com...dlock-interview

#50 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:12 AM

BSL: Baltimore Orioles: Organization Review

http://baltimorespor...ization-review/

BSL: The Orioles first selection in the 2016 Draft was Cody Sedlock. Is it realistic to expect the advanced college arm to begin ’17 at High A Frederick, and progress to AA Bowie at some point?

Callis: I’m not sure what the Orioles’ plans are, but Sedlock is capable of starting 2017 in high Class A and ending it in Double-A. He has a deep repertoire, throws strikes and has had success against top-tier college hitters and in pro ball.

Faleris: I spoke with a scout a month after the draft who thought Sedlock could potentially help out Baltimore out of the pen this summer, then drop back to Double-A to stretch out the arm next year in a starter’s role. Given how he was implemented this year, I’d say more likely than jumping to High A would be a short stint in Delmarva and then promotion as quickly through Frederick and Bowie as his performance warrants. I certainly wouldn’t feel any need to take it slow with him. If he is executing I would keep pushing him until he meets real resistance.

Spedden: Starting with Sedlock, a move to Frederick is very realistic. Given that he’s a fairly polished college pitcher, the Carolina League will represent a more challenging step and probably reflect his value than an assignment to Delmarva. 

Yinger: Absolutely realistic to be at High-A Frederick. He’s older and has put in the innings and work to develop pitches. If he does start in Delmarva, I don’t expect that to last long.

#51 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 09:36 PM

2017 Frederick, 4/8: 6 ip, 2 hits, 0 er, 1 bb,  5 k's

• SportsGuy, dude and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#52 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:18 PM

2017 so far: A+ - 1-0, 2.45 ERA, 2 GS, 11 IP, 7 K, 4 BB, 0.82 WHIP

#53 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 May 2017 - 11:37 AM

In his last 2 starts, he has pitched 9.2 innings and given up 13 runs and 19 hits.

However, he struck 12 and walked none in those 2 outings.  

Without seeing the games, my guess is that a lot of the hits were bullshit hits, balls that would be fielded by better players, etc...

He did give up his first (and only) homer but still, this is likely the case of some bad luck here and there.

The lack of walks and the amount of Ks is encouraging.

#54 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 08 May 2017 - 05:06 PM

In his last 2 starts, he has pitched 9.2 innings and given up 13 runs and 19 hits.

However, he struck 12 and walked none in those 2 outings.  

Without seeing the games, my guess is that a lot of the hits were bullshit hits, balls that would be fielded by better players, etc...

He did give up his first (and only) homer but still, this is likely the case of some bad luck here and there.

The lack of walks and the amount of Ks is encouraging.

Well hopefully but I gotta say I doubt that in 9 innings that the majority of 19 hits were bs htis. Thats a LOT of hits.

#55 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 08 May 2017 - 06:22 PM

I admit I was pretty unimpressed by my initial view of him in ST this year. SSS, but those weren't lucky hits there, and they weren't even against very good competition. Did a couple google searches and it sounds like this guy may need more work than I initially thought he did for a college pitcher. 

#56 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 06:23 PM

I admit I was pretty unimpressed by initial view of him him in ST this year. SSS, but those weren't lucky lucky hits there, and they weren't even against very good competition. Did a couple google searches and it sounds like this guy may need more work than I initially thought he did for a college pitcher.

Yeah. Rob is making a huge assumption

#57 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:02 PM

Not saying all were bs...but I guarantee many of them were.

#58 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:10 PM

Not saying all were bs...but I guarantee many of them were.

How can you "guarantee" such a statement. Certainly we hope you are correct but I'd like to hear an assessment from somebody who saw the game. 19 hits in 9 innings is flat awful.

#59 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:41 AM

A+: 4-3, 6.20 ERA, 49.1 IP, 45 K, 18 BB, 1.46 WHIP

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#60 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV