#81 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 22 July 2018 - 07:52 PM

If he isn't a mistake, what is he? Six year organizational fodder?

You can't judge a process by results.  That's not how it works.  

Besides which, are you really holding them responsible for not being able to see into the future?  Sometimes pitchers break down.  There is no way to know which will do so.

Calling him a mistake is a fundamental misunderstanding of pretty much everything.  

• SportsGuy likes this

@fuzydunlop

#82 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 22 July 2018 - 08:03 PM

Results oriented thinking.

#83 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 04:28 PM

You can't judge a process by results.  That's not how it works.  

Besides which, are you really holding them responsible for not being able to see into the future?  Sometimes pitchers break down.  There is no way to know which will do so.

Calling him a mistake is a fundamental misunderstanding of pretty much everything.  

What am I misunderstanding? That he's going to break out of it any day now and prove worthy of being a #1 pick or a reasonable facsimile ? Or that he threw a lot of innings in college and there was concern about that among scouts? Or maybe he's not that good?

#84 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 23 July 2018 - 05:13 PM

What am I misunderstanding? That he's going to break out of it any day now and prove worthy of being a #1 pick or a reasonable facsimile ? Or that he threw a lot of innings in college and there was concern about that among scouts? Or maybe he's not that good?

I'm having a difficult time believing you are this obtuse, but I'll try.

This isn't comparable to say, Hobgood, who was a reach.  Sedlock was a good pick for that part of the draft, had no injury history or flags, and in his first season was pretty good (SSS warning).  Beyond that, this isn't the NFL draft; there are salary demand/draft pool factors to consider, along with likelihood they'll go (or go back) to college.  

You've heard of TINSTAAP right?  There's a reason for that.  Pitchers break without warning or reason.  Don't confuse your disappointment for condemnation.  

The Orioles do many things wrong, but drafting isn't one of them (lately).  

For more on the dangers of Results Oriented Thinking, read this: http://www.ontheregi...nting-thinking/

@fuzydunlop

#85 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:02 PM

I'm having a difficult time believing you are this obtuse, but I'll try.

This isn't comparable to say, Hobgood, who was a reach.  Sedlock was a good pick for that part of the draft, had no injury history or flags, and in his first season was pretty good (SSS warning).  Beyond that, this isn't the NFL draft; there are salary demand/draft pool factors to consider, along with likelihood they'll go (or go back) to college.  

You've heard of TINSTAAP right?  There's a reason for that.  Pitchers break without warning or reason.  Don't confuse your disappointment for condemnation.  

The Orioles do many things wrong, but drafting isn't one of them (lately).  

For more on the dangers of Results Oriented Thinking, read this: http://www.ontheregi...nting-thinking/

I think your site and your twisted logic is absurd. Kids shouldn't be gambling at 16 at cards and if you can't lose weight on say 1000 Cals per day, you have a medical issue. And who the hell is stupid enough to bet on someone throwing darts? I would think your more intelligent than to be shoveling this #### at me. And in case you haven't noticed, the world is based on results. It's called measurement. But if you think Sedlock has a big future, God Bless. And if the Orioles have suddenly become so proficient at drafting, why are we only ranked 16th? OF that's right, someone is measuring us.

#86 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:14 PM

McNulty is clearly not saying that he thinks Sedlock will live up to the hype he had on draft night. Just that the hype he did have at the moment he was drafted was warranted with the spot in which he was picked.

If you flip a coin and it comes up heads 10 times in a row, the next flip is still 50/50.

As a fan I guess it’s fine to be results oriented in your thinking but if it’s your job to be predicting the future and/or evaluating the past, you have to look beyond that.

#87 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:20 PM

I think your site and your twisted logic is absurd. Kids shouldn't be gambling at 16 at cards and if you can't lose weight on say 1000 Cals per day, you have a medical issue. And who the hell is stupid enough to bet on someone throwing darts? I would think your more intelligent than to be shoveling this #### at me. And in case you haven't noticed, the world is based on results. It's called measurement. But if you think Sedlock has a big future, God Bless. And if the Orioles have suddenly become so proficient at drafting, why are we only ranked 16th? OF that's right, someone is measuring us.

I don't think he has a big future /= the orioles made a mistake in drafting him.  Simple as that.

If you can't understand that, then I wish you all the best, because you are going to need it.

@fuzydunlop

#88 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:25 PM

Sedlock can be bust without his selection having been a mistake by the Orioles.

Like Brian Matusz, for example. Perfectly fine draft selection at #4. Total bust. Not mutually exclusive.

Matthew Hobgood is an example of a bust AND a bad selection by the Orioles.

Nick Markakis is perhaps an example of a bad selection that ended up with great results. Not many rated him as a first round pick as a hitter and we took him #8. Worked out fantastically.

#89 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:26 PM

I don't think he has a big future /= the orioles made a mistake in drafting him.  Simple as that.

If you can't understand that, then I wish you all the best, because you are going to need it.

How old are you?

#90 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 23 July 2018 - 09:01 PM

How old are you?

13 years.

And 4 months
  • Hooded Viper, NewMarketSean and Nigel Tufnel like this

@fuzydunlop

#91 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 09:04 PM

Awesome pull.
  • McNulty likes this

#92 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 08:48 AM

Sedlock can be bust without his selection having been a mistake by the Orioles.

Like Brian Matusz, for example. Perfectly fine draft selection at #4. Total bust. Not mutually exclusive.

Matusz did have a few productive big league seasons and wasn't a decent LOOGY for a spell.  I don't think qualifying him as a total bust is accurate.

Billy Rowell was a total bust.  At least with a lot of the pitchers that didn't work out (Hobgood, Beau Hale, Chris Smith, the list goes on and on and on) you could point to injuries.  Rowell was pretty healthy, he just stunk.

#93 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 08:58 AM

I'm comfortable calling Matusz a total bust.  He had one ok season as a SP (96 ERA+ over 175 IP).  He was a good LOOGY for 3 1/2 seasons.

We let him go for nothing prior to his service time being up.  Fair to point to the distinction between Matusz' career and guys who never make it at all, and I won't argue more than this if you prefer another word to describe Matusz' career.  But he was never a particularly good player, so as a top-5 pick, I think it's fair to call him a total bust.

#94 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 09:48 AM

You're certainly free to characterize him how ever you'd like.  But if you're going to define Matusz as a total bust, how do you define Rowell?

#95 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 09:59 AM

Rowell also a total bust.  Less so because he was a lower pick, but still, you expect your top-10 picks to reach the majors.

#96 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 12:32 PM

So you think Matusz was more of a bust than Billy Rowell????

Sounds like we're just going to be far apart on this one I suppose.

#97 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 12:36 PM

Lower expectations for Rowell.  More volatility as a HS draft pick at #9.  Matusz a polished college pitcher at #4.

Both are busts, IMO.

#98 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 24 July 2018 - 12:45 PM

I just got a semantics alert...

Rowell = total bust.

Matusz = bust.

You're welcome.
  • Mackus likes this

#99 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 24 July 2018 - 12:48 PM

You can't judge a process by results. That's not how it works.

Besides which, are you really holding them responsible for not being able to see into the future? Sometimes pitchers break down. There is no way to know which will do so.

Very much agree.

A good decision can turn out very wrong. However, that doesn't mean the original decision was poor while considering all the available information at that time.

#100 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 01:03 PM

Another one is a bust. Another one is a bust. Hey Hey.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=