#121 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:03 AM

This is the main reason I always like to have my drafts a week into the season...

Obviously injuries can happen any time, but I guarantee you Jarrod Parker was drafted/kept by a ton of guys already this spring.

I'm doing my draft tonight, first one since high school, so wish me luck. I favor the approach of drafting as close to the season as possible as well for that reason like I do in football. I know it's fair for everyone, I just hate to use a top draft pick and let it go to waste. I drafted Tom Brady in the first round the year he got injured in the first game, as bad as that was, I would've felt worse if it happened in preseason and I already drafted him, 2-3 weeks out.

The MLB in Australia thing throws a wrench into that.

@levineps

#122 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:53 PM

@susanslusser It's happening already; with rain today, there are overflowing toilets & flooding in coaches' room. #Athletics

• DJ MC likes this
@levineps

#123 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:55 PM

@susanslusser It's happening already; with rain today, there are overflowing toilets & flooding in coaches' room. #Athletics

I was just about to quote this one: "One #Athletics player walks by and says 'We didn't even make to Opening Day.'"

http://hardballtalk....eum-in-oakland/

@DJ_McCann

#124 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,496 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:03 PM

Meanwhile, Bud Selig remains hard at work on resolving this embarrassing issue.

selignose.jpg

• Russ and DJ MC like this

#125 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:09 PM

Meanwhile, Bud Selig remains hard at work on resolving this embarrassing issue.

selignose.jpg

Hey..he appointed a committee!

@DJ_McCann

#126 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,609 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:33 AM

"

The Indians later delivered on their chances in the ninth, with Nyjer Morgan hitting a go-ahead sacrifice fly against new Athletics closer Jim Johnson as Cleveland sent Oakland to its major league-record 10th straight opening loss with a 2-0 victory Monday night.

Nick Swisher added an RBI single against Johnson (0-1), who was then pulled from his A's debut to boos from the sellout crowd."

Let me say that I'm not rooting against JJ unless we are playing Oakland (or we are neck and neck for the WC) but boy am I glad he's someone else's problem this year.  He's really not that good.

And I say this as someone who sweated out Boom Boom's debut yesterday.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#127 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,789 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:22 AM

Let me say that I'm not rooting against JJ unless we are playing Oakland (or we are neck and neck for the WC) but boy am I glad he's someone else's problem this year.  He's really not that good.

I think it's easy for people to just say that Jim Johnson is not that good, but that's false. He's quite good, just not worth the $10M he was due to make this year for us.

Jim's biggest problem is that when he's struggling, he really struggles. He'll go for long periods of time being his dominant self and then all of a sudden lose it and blow 3 or 4 save chances in a row and look horrible doing it.

• Oriole85 likes this

#128 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:29 AM

Looks like it will be an adventure with Hunter too... I'll have my xanax ready for the 9th innings again this year.

#129 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:31 AM

@MarkWJZ: Jim Johnson gives up 2 in the 9th & is booed by A's fans. Welcome to Oakland. http://t.co/aXWT1zNIw5

#130 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:33 AM

I feel bad for Jim Johnson (well not really, I don't feel bad for millionaires) -- but yeah I like him, he seems like a good guy and hard worker. I'll forever be appreciative of what he did in 2012 even if he got a bit lucky. It just shows you how volatile relievers and even closers are in general.

@levineps

#131 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:13 AM

Now he understands how Mike Gonzalez felt :P

I do wish him the best.

@DJ_McCann

#132 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,609 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:51 PM

I think it's easy for people to just say that Jim Johnson is not that good, but that's false. He's quite good, just not worth the $10M he was due to make this year for us.

Jim's biggest problem is that when he's struggling, he really struggles. He'll go for long periods of time being his dominant self and then all of a sudden lose it and blow 3 or 4 save chances in a row and look horrible doing it.

I don't think he's "quite good" at all but hey, agree to disagree right?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#133 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,496 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:03 PM

Mercury News: A's to San Jose "all but out of the question"

The A’s dream of moving to San Jose is all but barricaded, at least for the foreseeable future.

The votes aren’t there. The lawsuit filed by the city of San Jose against Major League Baseball has gotten no traction and in fact has only inflamed the other owners against the idea.

So Major League Baseball is not willing to overturn the Giants’ territorial rights.

The move to San Jose—as it stands now and probably for at least as long as Fisher and Wolff own the A’s—is not happening.

Which means that Wolff and Fisher are now seeking a lease extension with the Coliseum through 2025 and offering to sink many millions into stadium improvements.

I'd say this pretty much illustrates that there simply are no other viable markets for MLB right now. Otherwise, the A's would almost certainly be looking there.

#134 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:19 PM

Mercury News: A's to San Jose "all but out of the question"

I'd say this pretty much illustrates that there simply are no other viable markets for MLB right now. Otherwise, the A's would almost certainly be looking there.

If/when the Raiders leave Oakland, I think that would allow them to renovate that stadium more.

I think Montreal is still a longshot, but last weekend was certainly positive and I'd say their chances are much better than before. Of course, finding that owner with deep pockets who is willing to do what it takes to build a winner there will be an adventure in itself. I do have my doubts if they could be successful over the longterm though. It was one weekend after all and a decade after they last had a team.

I saw some talk about expansion last week -- which isn't likely going to happen -- if anything, they need contraction, which the Union won't likely agree to. There's just not really anymore viable markets left like you said. DC was the last one and that was only used used done after baseball had exhausted it's options. Playing at Olympic even only over 1-2 seasons could pose a challenge, they aren't allowed to hold events when enough snow is expected, not sure how that would apply to other bad weather.

@levineps

#135 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,496 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:39 PM

If/when the Raiders leave Oakland, I think that would allow them to renovate that stadium more.

I think Montreal is still a longshot, but last weekend was certainly positive and I'd say their chances are much better than before. Of course, finding that owner with deep pockets who is willing to do what it takes to build a winner there will be an adventure in itself. I do have my doubts if they could be successful over the longterm though. It was one weekend after all and a decade after they last had a team.

I saw some talk about expansion last week -- which isn't likely going to happen -- if anything, they need contraction, which the Union won't likely agree to. There's just not really anymore viable markets left like you said. DC was the last one and that was only used used done after baseball had exhausted it's options. Playing at Olympic even only over 1-2 seasons could pose a challenge, they aren't allowed to hold events when enough snow is expected, not sure how that would apply to other bad weather.

I guess they could tear down Mt. Davis, which would improve the aesthetics, but since that part never gets used for baseball as it is, I don't think that helps the A's revenues at all. And since the current site sits below sea level, I think water is always going to be an issue there (though I'm sure there's more to their plumbing problems than just that). Pouring millions into that stadium just seems like throwing good money after bad.

I think Montreal baseball fans get a bit of a bad rap. Under the circumstances (horrible stadium, horrible ownership, best season ever ended by a strike) it's not hard to understand why they stopped supporting the Expos. In some ways I think it mirrors Baltimore with the NFL. People pointed to how the Colts had lousy attendance in their final seasons, without really seeing the underlying causes. And once Baltimore got another chance, with good ownership committed to winning and a good stadium, it's worked out great. But like you said, finding that ownership, and building that stadium would be a challenge....but if it were to happen, I think Montreal could work.

But in the meantime, MLB seems to be willing to just let the A's sit there operate as a small-market franchise in what is easily the 2nd worst stadium in baseball. And I don't know how much I buy into Kawakami's statement about the other owners being miffed over the A's profiting off of revenue-sharing. If the owners don't like it, there's two things they could do: 1) change the formula in the next CBA so the A's don't get as much money, or 2) stop blocking them from a solution that could possibly get them off revenue-sharing.

#136 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,789 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:45 PM

Why would MLB give Montreal another team just 10 years after they stripped one away?

Still think both NY and LA are large enough to support another team.

#137 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:03 PM

I guess they could tear down Mt. Davis, which would improve the aesthetics, but since that part never gets used for baseball as it is, I don't think that helps the A's revenues at all. And since the current site sits below sea level, I think water is always going to be an issue there (though I'm sure there's more to their plumbing problems than just that). Pouring millions into that stadium just seems like throwing good money after bad.

I think Montreal baseball fans get a bit of a bad rap. Under the circumstances (horrible stadium, horrible ownership, best season ever ended by a strike) it's not hard to understand why they stopped supporting the Expos. In some ways I think it mirrors Baltimore with the NFL. People pointed to how the Colts had lousy attendance in their final seasons, without really seeing the underlying causes. And once Baltimore got another chance, with good ownership committed to winning and a good stadium, it's worked out great. But like you said, finding that ownership, and building that stadium would be a challenge....but if it were to happen, I think Montreal could work.

But in the meantime, MLB seems to be willing to just let the A's sit there operate as a small-market franchise in what is easily the 2nd worst stadium in baseball. And I don't know how much I buy into Kawakami's statement about the other owners being miffed over the A's profiting off of revenue-sharing. If the owners don't like it, there's two things they could do: 1) change the formula in the next CBA so the A's don't get as much money, or 2) stop blocking them from a solution that could possibly get them off revenue-sharing.

They could tear down Mt. Davis right now, maybe the Raiders will use it if they're ever good again. Wasn't that stadium much more feasible before the Raiders came back? (yeah different era I know) I'm just not sure what the A's alternatives are. If the build in that parking lot, they'll still be below sea level.

That's kind of how it works, bad product on the field=lack of fans in the stadium. They did have good ownership at one point. Besides late 70s/early 80s, they really didn't get good attendance (http://www.baseball-...SN/attend.shtml). So I'm quite skeptical of how sustainable it would be in the long run even if they put a decent product on the field. And since you can't expect a team to be good at all times, you need to have a decent base to draw from, towards the end they were averaging less than 10k a game. I know you were commenting how they drew 100k last weekend and how they got the short end of the stick, but don't you think you are making a little too much from one weekend? If Montreal had that kind of support night in/night out, they wouldn't have left in the first place. Whenever a team's attendance is bad, there's always some caveat (bad ownership, bad stadium, bad location), maybe it's just not viable market. Montreal is a world-class city, it doesn't mean it's meant have to be a baseball city. Some team has to be the 29th and 30th teams, so yeah that could be them.

@levineps

#138 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:06 PM

Why would MLB give Montreal another team just 10 years after they stripped one away?

There's territory rights preventing that from happening, else KC/Cleveland could just pack up and set-up shop at the Meadowlands. The very reason the A's aren't being allowed to move because they handed over the rights to San Jose to the Giants.

@levineps

#139 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,496 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:07 PM

They could tear down Mt. Davis right now, maybe the Raiders will use it if they're ever good again. Wasn't that stadium much more feasible before the Raiders came back? (yeah different era I know) I'm just not sure what the A's alternatives are. If the build in that parking lot, they'll still be below sea level.

That's kind of how it works, bad product on the field=lack of fans in the stadium. They did have good ownership at one point. Besides late 70s/early 80s, they really didn't get good attendance (http://www.baseball-...SN/attend.shtml). So I'm quite skeptical of how sustainable it would be in the long run even if they put a decent product on the field. And since you can't expect a team to be good at all times, you need to have a decent base to draw from, towards the end they were averaging less than 10k a game. I know you were commenting how they drew 100k last weekend and how they got the short end of the stick, but don't you think you are making a little too much from one weekend? If Montreal had that kind of support night in/night out, they wouldn't have left in the first place. Whenever a team's attendance is bad, there's always some caveat (bad ownership, bad stadium, bad location), maybe it's just not viable market. Montreal is a world-class city, it doesn't mean it's meant have to be a baseball city. Some team has to be the 29th and 30th teams, so yeah that could be them.

I base absolutely nothing off of last weekend. My point is that I don't think it is entirely fair to rate Montreal as a baseball market based on their support of the Expos from pretty much the entire 10 seasons following the strike.

#140 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,496 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:08 PM

Google: MLB Anti-Trust Exemption.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=