141 replies to this topic

#101 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 10:38 PM

BTW Weber this is the problem you run into with multiple platoons. Especially, when the defense is poor.  Its absolutely necessary to platoon Kim and Alvarez. We have problems with roster construction as is and weve been lucky to have Britton not blow a save once Trumbo has been removed for defensive purposes. 

#102 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 07 August 2016 - 10:40 PM

BTW Weber this is the problem you run into with multiple platoons. Especially, when the defense is poor.  Its absolutely necessary to platoon Kim and Alvarez. 

This isn't a platoon issue, it's a defense issue. It's a problem to have more than one guy that should play DH, unless they can platoon with each other.
  • Mike B and RShack like this

#103 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 10:46 PM

This isn't a platoon issue, it's a defense issue. It's a problem to have more than one guy that should play DH, unless they can platoon with each other.

Exactly... 

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#104 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 10:46 PM

Its a platoon issue too. Kim is ofer against lefties and Alvarez is nothing too. Its a combo of both. You cant take Kim out in the 7th in a tight game vs a lefty when you prefer him in the 9th vs the righty closer, etc. One platoon is fine, when youre going multiple spots it just doesn't work in reality. It's not working this year with Reimold, Rickard, and Pearce though hopefully Pearce can still fill the RH void at DH the next 6 weeks. 

The roster construction of the team has to get better in '17 and multiple platoons is not the answer. Kim or Alvarez at DH and two OFers have to be found. Really no spot for Trumbo. You have to offer him the QO and let him walk. Now, if Davis would actually be willing to play RF that would be huge because then you can contemplate resigning Trumbo at 1b, you have Kim at DH and you only need to find a LF. 

#105 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 10:53 PM

Multiple platoons can work just fine. There's drawbacks to having multiple platoons, but depending on various factors, it can make sense.

Btw, on opening day, the O's weren't even planning on multiple platoons.

But again, the problem is having guys that play poor defense, not having two guys you'd prefer not to hit against lefties.

#106 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 10:57 PM

The poor defense is the bigger issue but they all tie in.  Perfect platoons could work ok, but there aren't usually perfect platoons. You lose something somewhere when you platoon. Either at the plate or in the field and thats not even talking about late game management issues it causes. 

#107 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 10:59 PM

They can work just fine. We'll just have to continue to agree to disagree on this.

#108 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 06:15 AM

So we're one game back from having the best record in the AL, it's clear our biggest glaring weakness is our SP, let's say we had a full season of Bundy instead of Jimenez (imagine where we'd be with that). And the problem with our team is that we have too many platoon players? 

I'm not sure this is the problem it's being made out to be...

#109 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 06:24 AM

So we're one game back from having the best record in the AL, it's clear our biggest glaring weakness is our SP, let's say we had a full season of Bundy instead of Jimenez (imagine where we'd be with that). And the problem with our team is that we have too many platoon players? 

I'm not sure this is the problem it's being made out to be...

I dont think SP is a glaring weakness anymore. OF defense is our glaring weakness. Granted, thats being specific because the inf defense is good, but it's bad out there. 

#110 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 06:41 AM

I dont think SP is a glaring weakness anymore. OF defense is our glaring weakness. Granted, thats being specific because the inf defense is good, but it's bad out there. 

I'm just not sure I agree that it's our "glaring" weakness. All teams are going to have weaknesses, I definitely agree with you we could look to improve that situation next year. I'm thinking Alvarez or Trumbo is going to be gone, so I'm of the mind it'll resolve itself in some senses.

#111 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 10:23 AM

MASN: Álvarez in right field for today’s game against the Yankees
http://www.masnsport...he-yankees.html

#112 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:02 PM

Opt out date is today.

#113 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:07 PM

They reached a temporary resolution to keep him in Norfolk for now

#114 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:09 PM

They reached a temporary resolution to keep him in Norfolk for now

That sounds good. Thanks. 

#115 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,234 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 02 June 2017 - 08:16 AM

I guess I don't understand the O's thought processes. They won't bat Kim against lefties. And apparently they won't bat him against hard throwing righties. He can't play defense very well. He can't run. 

Alvarez can't play defense very well either. He can't run either. But he can hit hard throwing pitchers. Bring him up and stop wasting a roster spot on Kim. OR play Kim. But their use of Kim is just insanely stupid.

#116 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 08:21 AM

I guess I don't understand the O's thought processes. They won't bat Kim against lefties. And apparently they won't bat him against hard throwing righties. He can't play defense very well. He can't run. 

Alvarez can't play defense very well either. He can't run either. But he can hit hard throwing pitchers. Bring him up and stop wasting a roster spot on Kim. OR play Kim. But their use of Kim is just insanely stupid.

My guess is they are trying to find someone to pay the rest (or at least part) of Kim's salary this year rather than just eating it.  I hope we don't send away another draft pick in order to find a taker.

#117 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,234 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 02 June 2017 - 09:11 AM

I suspect you are right Mackus and sure hope the O's don't give up a draft pick to get somebody to take on Kim. The problem is that Kim is at his lowest value right now. His OPS is a measly .661. He has such limited value I think they are better served to just DFA him and call up Alvarez. Right now they might as well be playing with a 24 man roster they way they use Kim. He's on track for less than 200 at bats. Shoot this offseason many of us (me included) were hoping he'd get over 400 at bats. I am just baffled by this.

I could see carrying a player who has limited tools. Say a super defensive OFer with some speed. Yes you don't use them much but they are worth their weight in gold when you need them. And they add to the team. Frankly we don't know if Kim could add to the  team or not they way he is used.

#118 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 09:15 AM

Kim isn't a ML ballplayer. Why is that so hard to figure out. Ignore his first 150 ML ABs. He was lucky and teams were figuring him out. No one is going to give him a ML contract if we release him let alone trade for him

#119 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 09:23 AM

Kim isn't a ML ballplayer. Why is that so hard to figure out. Ignore his first 150 ML ABs. He was lucky and teams were figuring him out. No one is going to give him a ML contract if we release him let alone trade for him

I think he'd be a good NL pinch hitter.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#120 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 09:34 AM

I think he'd be a good NL pinch hitter.

He's got no power. Even the bench players in the NL need power or some speed/defense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=