141 replies to this topic

#121 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 09:35 AM

He's got no power. Even the bench players in the NL need power or some speed/defense

He's a smart base runner at least.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#122 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 09:37 AM

At best he gets a minor league deal. No one is going to put him on their 25 man roster. Likely just goes back to Korea

#123 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 June 2017 - 10:22 AM

Pre AS break last year, Kim had 152 at bats..Post he had 153 at bats,

Pre AS break, his slash line was 329/410/454

Post AS break, his slash line was 273/353/386.

He hit the same amount of homers and had the same amount of walks.

The difference between the 2 halves was 8 hits...He hit 4 less doubles in the second half but had a triple in the second half and didn't have one in the first half.  So, it was 3 XBH and 5 singles.    That's it.  In other words, there wasn't much of a difference to draw anything from because the sample size was pretty small.

So far this year, he hasn't shown too much in the way of power and turning on the ball...But, he is playing sporadically and only has 61 at bats.  His OPS has gone up over 50 points in his last 7 at bats, which tells you how little he is playing and why looking at many of the stats right now is pretty worthless.

Now, I will say this...his inability to show more power and turning on the ball is a concern.  I am with Branden and others about that.

But you know what, he has a 333 OBP right now.  That is 5th on the team and one of the guys ahead of him, Pena, has 7 at bats.  

I don't think its fair to say he isn't a ML player.  I do think it is fair to question how good he can be with the bat on this level and I do think its fair to say that the power he showed in Korea isn't going to translate to the US.

However, can he be a 280/360 type player.  Of course he can.  Even in the time period Branden points at last year as when he struggled, he was still basically that.  

The problem for Kim is he has no speed and looks bad defensively.  That limits how often you put him out there, especially when a guy like Mancini just looks better and obviously stands a greater chance at being a long term piece for you.

Kim just may not have a spot on our roster because we have a guy who is essentially a dedicated DH and we have other OF options that are performing well.  Because of that, he just can't get on the field.  

But I think some team would like him and I think he would go there and do what he has done here..give us good at bats, walk and hit for a solid average.  

• Hooded Viper and CA-ORIOLE like this

#124 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 10:34 AM

If he's released he will not be given a ML roster spot. Since he has options he could be put on a 40 man roster and sent to AAA. He might eventually make it back up to the majors and play but he won't be handed a 25 man roster spot. Same in the off-season should he remain here all year. He would have to sign a Minor League deal

#125 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 June 2017 - 10:54 AM

If he's released he will not be given a ML roster spot. Since he has options he could be put on a 40 man roster and sent to AAA. He might eventually make it back up to the majors and play but he won't be handed a 25 man roster spot. Same in the off-season should he remain here all year. He would have to sign a Minor League deal

This is possible...Doesn't mean much though.  

#126 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 11:12 AM

It means he's viewed as a replacement level player

#127 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 June 2017 - 11:16 AM

Just my 2 cents worth.....If Kim could run or was a good defender, which he can not and is not, then I would take the weaker bat and utilize the speed and defensive talents.  Since he is neither than give me Alvarez, who if nothing else can be a weapon against RH pitching. 

• Hooded Viper and BSLSteveBirrer like this
@mikeghg

#128 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 June 2017 - 12:46 PM

It means he's viewed as a replacement level player

Not true...although it could be viewed that way.

It could be that he isn't viewed as a defensive player and a team doesn't have room on their current roster as a DH.

It could mean that someone wants him and views him as an asset but they don't have room on their roster at that moment.

Roster construction is always an issue, especially with a limited player...and Kim is a limited player because of his defense and lack of speed.

Right now, Pedro Alvarez is a replacement player by your definition...but yet most feel he could potentially come up and be more than that.  But, he is a limited player, so he is in the minors.

#129 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 02 June 2017 - 01:25 PM

Most PH at bats are going to be in later innings.

In a close game in the late innings most teams are putting in hard throwers.

So he isn't even going to PH hardly at all.

#130 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 02 June 2017 - 01:45 PM

My recollection is that Kim adjusted to hitting fastballs pretty well at the beginning of last year. Towards the end of the year (and maybe this year) it was more about the combination of FB's and offspeed pitches. I agree mostly with Rob here. I think he might be fine with more regular play, but I also understand the concerns/questions given his limited skillset and lack of a more meaningful track record. I certainly have no issues with Mancini playing over him and/or DFA'ng him over better options. That said, if Seth Smith (not the most sturdiest of players) went down tomorrow, Kim suddenly becomes a lot more relevant. 

#131 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 01:47 PM

My recollection is that Kim adjusted to hitting fastballs pretty well at the beginning of last year. Towards the end of the year (and maybe this year) it was more about the combination of FB's and offspeed pitches. I agree mostly with Rob here. I think he might be fine with more regular play, but I also understand the concerns/questions given his limited skillset and lack of a more meaningful track record. I certainly have no issues with Mancini playing over him and/or DFA'ng him over better options. That said, if Seth Smith (not the most sturdiest of players) went down tomorrow, Kim suddenly becomes a lot more relevant. 

Doubtful. They'd likely call up Pedro and DH him while putting Trumbo in RF. 

#132 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 02 June 2017 - 01:50 PM

Doubtful. They'd likely call up Pedro and DH him while putting Trumbo in RF. 

That's certainly part of the equation. Still, they've  managed to delay Alvarez at least for some time. 

#133 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 12:05 PM

MASN: Orioles agree to terms with Pedro Álvarez on minor league deal

http://www.masnsport...eague-deal.html

#134 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 04:23 PM

Jesus. This guy again.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#135 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 07 March 2018 - 09:33 AM

Just same DD and his shotgun approach. Go after a whole bunch of has been retreads and hope to hit the jackpot on occasion. I get that you can find way more of these guys for way cheaper than a current everyday player.

But at the end of the day is it really cheaper to go after 10 bit players vs one honest legit guy? Especially for a team that is "going for it."  But then DD's definition of "going for it" is one that nobody else uses.

#136 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 01:25 PM

@masnRoch 2h2 hours ago

Pedro Alvarez tested hamstring. Buck said not good enough to start #orioles

#137 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 01:38 PM

@masnRoch 19s20 seconds ago

#orioles DFA Pedro Alvarez.

#138 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 01:47 PM

I liked Pedro, but there's really no reason to have a 31-year old platoon DH on a 20-50 team.

• Pedro Cerrano likes this

#139 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 03:30 PM

Still in play to be the the starting 3B in August!

Brittany Ghiroli

Verified account @Britt_Ghiroli 17m17 minutes ago
More

INF Pedro Álvarez has cleared waivers and been assigned outright to Triple-A Norfolk.

#140 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 03:34 PM

Still in play to be the the starting 3B in August!

Brittany Ghiroli

Verified account @Britt_Ghiroli 17m17 minutes ago
More

INF Pedro Álvarez has cleared waivers and been assigned outright to Triple-A Norfolk.

He'll be back up before then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=