Season: .328, 122 ab's, 12 doubles, 3 homers, 20 rbi, 16 bb's, 23 k's, .906 OPS

#62 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:20 PM

HU is batting in the 3 hole for the first time tonight and his first hit was a 3-run bomb to give the Baysox an early lead! Kid is a beast!
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#63 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,932 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:55 PM

Feel like he's too old and playing too well to still be in AA. Needs to get bumped up to Norfolk soon.

#64 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:01 PM

Feel like he's too old and playing too well to still be in AA. Needs to get bumped up to Norfolk soon.

The Orioles have made it well known they do not believe there is a large difference between AA and AAA.

I'd rather him play at AA than AAA with a bunch of bitter veterans to be quite honest.

I actually think the competition level at AA is sometimes better. They do not have the same wealth of knowledge as AAA pitchers, but better stuff usually due to more prospects being at AA. Not always the case obviously.

Urrutia is a different prospect to me. Not like the typical ones. He is 26, but in baseball experience he is more like a 22-24 year old IMO.

#65 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,932 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:07 PM

The Orioles have made it well known they do not believe there is a large difference between AA and AAA.
I'd rather him play at AA than AAA with a bunch of bitter veterans to be quite honest.

I actually think the competition level at AA is sometimes better. They do not have the same wealth of knowledge as AAA pitchers, but better stuff usually due to more prospects being at AA. Not always the case obviously.

Urrutia is a different prospect to me. Not like the typical ones. He is 26, but in baseball experience he is more like a 22-24 year old IMO.

I disagree that the O's feel this way. And if they do, they are wrong (but I feel confident they do not). There is a major difference between thinking the levels are similar in difficulty and thinking stud top notch prospects at AA are ready for the majors without any time spent at AAA.

#66 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:07 PM

The Orioles have made it well known they do not believe there is a large difference between AA and AAA. I'd rather him play at AA than AAA with a bunch of bitter veterans to be quite honest. I actually think the competition level at AA is sometimes better. They do not have the same wealth of knowledge as AAA pitchers, but better stuff usually due to more prospects being at AA. Not always the case obviously. Urrutia is a different prospect to me. Not like the typical ones. He is 26, but in baseball experience he is more like a 22-24 year old IMO.
Not as much breaking stuff or crafty pitching though right? I don't think it matters much. He's getting much needed integration and experience either way. I think we'll see him in September regardless.

#67 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:08 PM

Not as much breaking stuff or crafty pitching though right? I don't think it matters much. He's getting much needed integration and experience either way. I think we'll see him in September regardless.

Yea basically.

And I also want to reiterate, I don't think it matters much either. Getting the work in is the most important aspect to me.

• BobPhelan likes this

#68 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:11 PM

Yea basically.

And I also want to reiterate, I don't think it matters much either. Getting the work in is the most important aspect to me.

Is the defense improving? Is he looking more comfortable in the field, and on the bases?

#69 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:11 PM

Yea basically. And I also want to reiterate, I don't think it matters much either. Getting the work in is the most important aspect to me.
Yeah I was basically agreeing with you while throwing in a slight nitpick. :)

#70 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:12 PM

Another home run tonight btw. Maybe we see him before September.

#71 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:12 PM

Is the defense improving? Is he looking more comfortable in the field, and on the bases?

I'll have to see him again before making that judgment I think.

He definitely needed some work from the last time I saw him though.

#72 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:15 PM

I will say this though...

His bat is much better than anyone (besides the O's!) anticipated. He's doing really well.

#73 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:16 PM

I will say this though...

His bat is much better than anyone (besides the O's!) anticipated. He's doing really well.

Does he have the arm for RF, or do you see him more as a LF?

When you do your updated ranking of O's prospects, it will be interesting to see where he is.

#74 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:18 PM

Does he have the arm for RF, or do you see him more as a LF?

When you do your updated ranking of O's prospects, it will be interesting to see where he is.

I didn't really get to see him display it too much, but I think he has a good enough arm for RF from what I have seen.

I'm thinking ASB for updated list.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#75 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:29 PM

3-3, 2 Hr's and all 5 RBI's so far. I agree with Mackus, he needs to be in AAA.

#76 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:42 PM

3-3, 2 Hr's and all 5 RBI's so far. I agree with Mackus, he needs to be in AAA.

I think he will face more talented pitchers in the Eastern League. Going to Norfolk, the primary benefit would be facing more experienced pitchers, maybe guys more refined.

Of course he would also be playing in a larger park... I don't see any real problem with keeping him at AA.

Sounds like his defense and shaking off the rust in the field is what he needs to work on the most.

#77 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:54 PM

Just talked to someone within the industry on Urrutia:

Exact Quote

Funny that he hit a homerun, but I hear Urrutia might be up post all-star break.

I would take it with a grain of salt. But interesting.

#78 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:08 PM

Just talked to someone within the industry on Urrutia:

Exact Quote

I would take it with a grain of salt. But interesting.

That is interesting. Depth doesn't hurt, but I consider our outfield to be pretty solid with the starters and Dickerson.

#79 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:22 PM

Whoa. whoa, whoa. I'm Urrutia's pimp around here. :cool:

#80 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:59 PM

Where would he play if he comes up after the All Star break? I guess he would platoon in LF with McLouth? Betemit should be back by that time and he will be the DH vs RHP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=