229 replies to this topic

#21 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:10 PM

Got to think he'll go to Bowie. Kind of excited about him. Don't have huge expectations, but hoping he can be a solid ML player.

#22 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:15 PM

I would imagine Urrutia stays in extended ST to work on things before being assigned to one of the minor league squads. Probably Frederick or more likely Bowie.

Could be headed for extended spring but for a player with so much experience, I would hope that 30 days is enough to get the rust off and head to Bowie where he can get the rest of the rust off.

#23 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:20 PM

Miami Herald article on Urrutia-

http://www.miamihera... ... hasnt.html

We have high hopes for him," Orioles manager Buck Showalter said. "It's been a while, so we've got to be patient with the amount of time he's been away from it and adjustments he's got to make to life here. So, just because it's delayed doesn't mean it's denied. He will reach his level. And we think it's got a chance to be the big leagues."

Urrutia will begin in minor league camp, with the possibility of getting into a few big league games by the end of camp, Showalter said.

"I really liked his thinking. He said, 'My idea was to come to the States to play in the big leagues,'" Duquette said. "So he is very clear what his intent is. And that's our intent, too. He just needs to get back into playing."

Asked if Urrutia could make it to the big leagues in 2013, Duquette simply said, "Yes."

"We didn't sign him to play in the minor leagues," Duquette repeated. "If he needs to go to the minor leagues to get his game back and get some of the rust off, that's fine. But we'll find out a little more about his bat (now). I think his bat is pretty advanced."

#24 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:18 PM

Law thought he was a 4th OFer.

But that would be ok...Most people have/had that belief of Reimold as well and obviously Reimold has a lot of upside.

I want to see him play.

#25 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:30 PM

Law thought he was a 4th OFer.

But that would be ok...Most people have/had that belief of Reimold as well and obviously Reimold has a lot of upside.

I want to see him play.

The 4th OF concerns are basically hedging bets because of concerns on the bat. Looks to be a high avg/high OBP guy with a great eye. But can't tell how much pop he is going to have and there is some concern he might not have enough OOMPF for a corner OF spot.

Think similar bat to LJ Hoes, but I have a little higher upside than him if he can hit it.
@JeremyMStrain

#26 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:11 PM

@Britt_Ghiroli: #Orioles OF Henry Urrutia will join Double-A Bowie later this week.

#27 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:19 PM

MASN: http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2013/04/latest-on-johnson-wada-roberts-and-urrutia.html

Cuban outfielder Henry Urrutia is on his way to Double-A Bowie today and will officially join the Baysox's roster on Friday. They placed Zelous Wheeler on the disabled list today, which could clear a spot for Urrutia.

Showalter indicated that Urrutia will play right and left field for Bowie, and he may also get a look in center. The Orioles don't want him limited to one position.

#28 MKlein76

MKlein76

Sports Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationGlen Burnie, MD

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:39 PM

@BowieBaysox: Henry Urruita 2-for-5 with 3 RBI in his debut.
@MKlein76

#29 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:36 PM

He went deep tonight.

#30 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:32 PM

Nice to see Urrutia get out of the blocks quick.  He has not played in a long while so his quick start is impressive.

@mikeghg

#31 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:03 PM

The guess when evaluating him was that he was close to ML ready, probably knock the dust off in AAA and be fine, so AA might not be advanced enough. I like the approach though, give him 10-15 games in AA to see where he is and move him up from there to be challenged.

The O's view AA and AAA as equal distance from ML though. AAA they like to stash ML depth and do actual development at AA, will pull from either equally though.

@JeremyMStrain

#32 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:09 PM

For someone who knows next to nothing about him, who does Urrutia compare to? Floor/ceiling?

#33 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

For someone who knows next to nothing about him, who does Urrutia compare to? Floor/ceiling?

I hate comps in general, even moreso for signings like him. Huge gap from floor to ceiling (big risk/reward) you just never know how their game is going to translate to the states. If I had to guess at a slash line it'd be something like .270/.350/.480 in the best case (I hear he's more OBP skill than power skill, so something like 15-20 HR potential maybe? Think like Nick with lower average. Spitballing though.

@JeremyMStrain

#34 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:15 AM

Season: 27 ab's, 8 hits, 1 double, 2 hr's, 7 rbi, 4 bb's, 6 k's

#35 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:51 AM

Pretty encouraging to see him have this start after all of the time off.

#36 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:13 AM

Baltimore Sun: Urrutia already picturing himself at Camden Yards
http://www.baltimore...0,6489098.story

#37 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:16 AM

Baltimore Sun: Urrutia already picturing himself at Camden Yards
http://www.baltimore...0,6489098.story

Good read Chris, thanks for posting. Very nice to see him off to a solid start after such a long layoff. Seems like an easy guy to root for.

@AdamWolff

#38 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:12 AM

Didn't realize he was 6'5. Have to think there is some decent power potential there. I know he is already 26 and everything but good nutrition here in the states, good weight program, etc.

he'll def be up at some point. He's probably the best bat we have in the minors right now.

#39 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,464 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:16 AM

Didn't realize he was 6'5. Have to think there is some decent power potential there. I know he is already 26 and everything but good nutrition here in the states, good weight program, etc.

he'll def be up at some point. He's probably the best bat we have in the minors right now.

Yeah, I'm still trying to hold back my excitement a bit, but he seems pretty promising the more I read about him.

#40 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:46 AM

I hate comps in general, even moreso for signings like him. Huge gap from floor to ceiling (big risk/reward) you just never know how their game is going to translate to the states. If I had to guess at a slash line it'd be something like .270/.350/.480 in the best case (I hear he's more OBP skill than power skill, so something like 15-20 HR potential maybe? Think like Nick with lower average. Spitballing though.

So he could become a starter in the outfield in a few years?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=