229 replies to this topic

#41 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:32 PM

So he could become a starter in the outfield in a few years?

He's already 26.  If it takes him more than a couple years to get the to majors, he's probably not gonna be much more than a fourth outfielder.  If he's gonna good enough to be a starter, I would think he moves faster.  I'd expect him to be in Norfolk by June or so.

#42 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:02 PM

So he could become a starter in the outfield in a few years?

He's already 26.  If it takes him more than a couple years to get the to majors, he's probably not gonna be much more than a fourth outfielder.  If he's gonna good enough to be a starter, I would think he moves faster.  I'd expect him to be in Norfolk by June or so.

Pretty much this. Think of him as a little better version of hoes with more ceiling if he can develop. Should be as ready as he will ever be next season.
@JeremyMStrain

#43 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:17 AM

Season: 48 ab's, 16 hits, 6 doubles, 2 hr's, 12 rbi's, 6 bb's, 9 k's

#44 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:29 AM

MASN: Urrutia gts off to a solid start, but there is more work to do
http://www.masnsport...work-to-do.html

#45 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:57 AM

How's he look defensively?

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#46 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:59 AM

How's he look defensively?

Read the article linked above, there are comments.

#47 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:31 PM

3 for 3 with a walk tonight.  Up to  .349/.414/ .587

He shouldn't get more than 50-60 more ABs in AA before he is up in AAA. At this pace I have to think he's closer to the big leagues than many think.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#48 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:34 PM

He shouldn't get more than 50-60 more ABs in AA before he is up in AAA. At this pace I have to think he's closer to the big leagues than many think.

Sounded like the O's were looking at different time table in that MASN article. Things can change of course.

Great to see this start.

#49 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:54 PM

Yeah, I'm good with him skipping AAA and coming up shortly unless Reimold steps it up and/or Dickerson does surprisingly well.

#50 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:36 AM

Yeah, I'm good with him skipping AAA and coming up shortly unless Reimold steps it up and/or Dickerson does surprisingly well.

Right, I have no problem saying that he's arguably our best DH vs RHP right now. Now, I didn't read the article before I posted. It does sound like the O's plan on keeping him down no matter what for a good portion of the year. That said, if last year proved anything it's that DD and Buck aren't afraid to call a relatively inexperienced minor leaguer up if they think they can help the big club.

Keep an eye on Reimold and Dickerson's success up here in the majors. Also, we'll see how quicky Meat can get back. All of those will be factors in whether we see Urrutia sooner or later.

#51 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:11 AM

Season: 78 ab's, .372 average, 29 hits, 11 doubles, 3 hr's, 18 rbi, 8 bb's, 12 k's, 1.058 OPS

#52 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:54 AM

Every morning I check the box scores from Bowie expecting to see a couple if hits from Urrutia. Dude is on fire. I'm starting to think he could fill a reg OF spot in the next year or two. Possibly Nick's replacement?? At this point, I have reason to believe Urrutia could give you as much if not more than a 30+ yr old Markakis.

#53 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:08 AM

Every morning I check the box scores from Bowie expecting to see a couple if hits from Urrutia. Dude is on fire. I'm starting to think he could fill a reg OF spot in the next year or two. Possibly Nick's replacement?? At this point, I have reason to believe Urrutia could give you as much if not more than a 30+ yr old Markakis.

I think that's going a bit far, Nick doesn't exactly have the type of skillset that you really expect much dropoff at age 30.  Not like he's a big power guy or based on speed.  He's just got a great contact skill, little bit of pop, and a decent eye.  They aren't likely picking up his $17M option in a couple years, though.

Also, it's hard to get too excited about a 26 y/o at AA.  I mean, Lou Montanez was 26 when he won the Bowie Triple Crown (or came close).  It's definitley way better than him struggling, and he does get more credit since he's new to the league and hasn't struggled at other levels like Montanez had, but he's still 26 playing in AA.  I think he should be moved up to Norfolk by June and if he keeps hitting there, then he's just a phone call away.  If he hits well in Norfolk for a month, then I think Dickerson and Reimold should be very worried about their roster spots unless they start picking it up a bit (especially Reimold).

I'm not ready to say Urrutia will be a MLB regular, but I am optimistic he can be a reserve somewhere.  Shame that he sounds like more of a corner OF guy than a CF, though.  Him becoming an everyday corner OF wouldn't be a crazy upset by any means, I just don't think we can expect that he's going to be filling one of those roles come 2015 yet.

• Tucker Blair likes this

#54 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:08 AM

I wouldn't say that.

Urrutia is not even in the same stratosphere as Markakis.

He is 26 at AA and still has some work to do. He still needs work on secondary pitches after what I saw.

He may very well be BETTER than what was originally expected and projected, but that is nowhere close to Markakis level. I mean come on, Markakis is an above average MLB OF.

#55 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:13 AM

Just as a quick note:

Markakis at AA hit 339/420/573/992 in 143 PAs.  At age 21.  The next spring he made the MLB roster.

#56 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:43 AM

We'll see what happens over the next year both with Urrutia and Markakis. I'm higher on Urrutia than most.

The issue with Nick is he's not worth 17 mil. Yet, when that option has to be picked up he'll only be entering his 31 yr old year. So what happens if we decline the option like we should. He's obviously not going to get 15 mil/yr on the open market, let alone 17 mil. That said he's still only 31 and relatively productive. Is there bad blood if we decline the contract. How much should and are we willing to offer considering we'll need to lock up Wieters and Machado. My thought is we might have a cheap corner OF replacement that can be the same type of player as Markakis. Lets be conservative and say Markakis lite. A doubles guy, 10-20 HR pop. .300ish hitter. I can't speak on Urrutia's defense but I know that Markakis's is slipping as he gets older. IMO, he's not an above average RF going forward. Point is, Markakis is not a must keep guy anymore after his contract is up. All I'm saying is keep an eye on Henry and don't box him in just because he is 26 yrs old.

#57 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:36 PM

Finally have been able to see Urrutia a few times now. I was going to do a piece on him, but screw it.

To start, his body is much leaner than you would anticipate. I actually do think there is some muscle growth left there, possibly 15 lbs? (obviously that is a generic and random guess).

I love his swing at the plate. He has your typical open stance and keeps his hands a little higher than your average hitter that uses an open stance. It looks like this allows him to lessen the noise in his swing. On that note, the swing is easy and goes through the zone at a nice speed with minimal "extra" or "excess" movement. He demonstrated a solid approach at the plate in the times I have now seen him, and has shown that he can drive the ball to the opposite field and keep his back elbow up on the follow through.  

Now for my concerns:

He does have some trouble with pitch recognition against secondary pitches still. It's one reason why I do not believe he is ready for the MLB yet. He flails at times and will open up his stance and "step out of the bucket" on outside changes and curves. It has been a while since he has seen pitches of this nature. Give him some more time to work on this in the minors.

Secondly, his defense is not there yet. He does not get the best reads yet and his route running is still rusty. Overall, he is still rusty in the OF and I mostly suspect this is from not playing for a while.

He's certainly shown talent, but i think people should relax and give him more time before deeming him as ready for the MLB. I am completely fine with what the O's are currently doing with him.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#58 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:42 PM

Finally have been able to see Urrutia a few times now. I was going to do a piece on him, but screw it.

To start, his body is much leaner than you would anticipate. I actually do think there is some muscle growth left there, possibly 15 lbs? (obviously that is a generic and random guess).

I love his swing at the plate. He has your typical open stance and keeps his hands a little higher than your average hitter that uses an open stance. It looks like this allows him to lessen the noise in his swing. On that note, the swing is easy and goes through the zone at a nice speed with minimal "extra" or "excess" movement. He demonstrated a solid approach at the plate in the times I have now seen him, and has shown that he can drive the ball to the opposite field and keep his back elbow up on the follow through.  

Now for my concerns:

He does have some trouble with pitch recognition against secondary pitches still. It's one reason why I do not believe he is ready for the MLB yet. He flails at times and will open up his stance and "step out of the bucket" on outside changes and curves. It has been a while since he has seen pitches of this nature. Give him some more time to work on this in the minors.

Secondly, his defense is not there yet. He does not get the best reads yet and his route running is still rusty. Overall, he is still rusty in the OF and I mostly suspect this is from not playing for a while.

He's certainly shown talent, but i think people should relax and give him more time before deeming him as ready for the MLB. I am completely fine with what the O's are currently doing with him.

Haha, don't you hate when that happens? Just easier to write a post than to do a full write up sometimes.

I haven't seen him in AA yet, but I was expecting pretty much everything you said. When dealing with Cuban refugees you see them a little physically underdeveloped all the time, so I expected him to fill out a little bit while playing.

I figured the pitch ID and secondaries stuff would be his biggest task. In that region there are tons of guys that throw wild and hard, but finding guys that can control secondaries is rare, so when they get to AA it's the first time they've really seen that kinda stuff.

Thanks for the notes.

@JeremyMStrain

#59 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:50 PM

Yea he just needs to play. I know everyone is excited about his good start, but just playing is the most important thing. He is definitely better than originally expected though. At least as of now.

Another note:

It is VERY rare that you see a player go to all the umpires and shake their hands before the game. Urrutia did just that. Seems to be a very good guy.

#60 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:58 PM

Yea he just needs to play. I know everyone is excited about his good start, but just playing is the most important thing. He is definitely better than originally expected though. At least as of now.

Another note:

It is VERY rare that you see a player go to all the umpires and shake their hands before the game. Urrutia did just that. Seems to be a very good guy.

No doubt. People like to equate success in AA to the ML, and it's a pretty good sized jump. He'd get eaten alive by ML breaking pitches right now. I might be willing to give him a look in September or next spring though.

@JeremyMStrain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=