#81 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 11:15 PM

Cardinals could use some OF help. 

Have to agree with Brickle.   I see very little interest in Kim from other teams.   He only makes 4.25M and some of that's already paid.   He plays in a small LF in OPACY.      Teams with big outfields are going to be leary of taking him on and hoping he hit's like last year (1st half in particular).     DD might get creative and make it look like he's getting something back but I wouldn't be suprised if he has to make a deal like he did with the reliever we sent to the Dodgers a couple of years ago.

Kim earned playing time last year.   He's not earning the extra time this year.   It's that simple.   Sure, Buck is not in his corner but he can control his own destiny if he HITS.    Maybe he's just not quite as good as he looked first half of last year.     That seems to be the case with his .738 OPS in the 2nd half last year and his current .624 OPS this year with something like a .318 slugging percentage.   You play the guys who bring something to the table and right now Kim brings nothing to the table.

#82 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 08 May 2017 - 11:33 PM

Have to agree with Brickle.   I see very little interest in Kim from other teams.   He only makes 4.25M and some of that's already paid.   He plays in a small LF in OPACY.      Teams with big outfields are going to be leary of taking him on and hoping he hit's like last year (1st half in particular).     DD might get creative and make it look like he's getting something back but I wouldn't be suprised if he has to make a deal like he did with the reliever we sent to the Dodgers a couple of years ago.

Kim earned playing time last year.   He's not earning the extra time this year.   It's that simple.   Sure, Buck is not in his corner but he can control his own destiny if he HITS.    Maybe he's just not quite as good as he looked first half of last year.     That seems to be the case with his .738 OPS in the 2nd half last year and his current .624 OPS this year with something like a .318 slugging percentage.   You play the guys who bring something to the table and right now Kim brings nothing to the table.

Perhaps so. I don't see any urgency to move him at this point (assuming there is no market) until Santander is ready. Who knows when that may be and if Kim wil have had more opportunities or not. We've ridden a 5 man bench (for the most part) so far with some pretty tough obstacles on the pitching side. If anything I see that stabilizing a bit. Right now I'd just put Mancini in LF everyday.  

#83 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 11:38 PM

Unrelated mostly but I didnt know that the Twins DFA Park in February and he cleared waivers and is in AAA. They gave up on him pretty quick and had more of a financial commitment than the O's do to Kim. I keep hearing people say they think Kim will go somewhere else next year and be good. Don't see it. He's probably not going to get more than a minor league contract offer and eventually go back to Korea. 

#84 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 08 May 2017 - 11:47 PM

I'm often amazed at guys that get major league jobs each year..... and often with those that don't. I think the main issue with Kim (besides being a platoon player) is that he is just such a crappy defender that it's tough to wait out the hitting... which I think will be ok. 

#85 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,265 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 10 May 2017 - 12:01 PM

The problem with Kim is pretty simple to me. The O's for whatever reason just won't play him against LH pitching, which the O's face a lot in the ALE.  So you have a player with a good average/OBP that hits nor very little power, has no speed, and plays weak defense. It makes him such a one dimensional part time player that he really has no value. 

IF he was a full time player with a good average and OBP then you could get past the weak defense and limited power/speed. But when he only has those attributes in a bit role you just gotta think there are better players for the O's. He MIGHT have some value to another team, but IMO only if they were going to play him near full time.

#86 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 12:03 PM

There is no reason to believe he can be a full time player and certainly no reason for Buck to find out at this point considering Mancini and Rickard are hitting well

#87 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,799 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:15 PM

Unrelated mostly but I didnt know that the Twins DFA Park in February and he cleared waivers and is in AAA. They gave up on him pretty quick and had more of a financial commitment than the O's do to Kim. I keep hearing people say they think Kim will go somewhere else next year and be good. Don't see it. He's probably not going to get more than a minor league contract offer and eventually go back to Korea. 

Barring a finish to this year much like his first few months last year, I definitely think he gets much bigger offers to go back to Korea than he does to remain here.  Not sure if he'll take the cash and go home or if he wants to continue fighting to see if he can stick in MLB.  Wouldn't be surprised by either decision. 

#88 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:14 PM

He doesn't have much value. You wouldn't get anything for him. Maybe a guy on a teams 40 man that they are getting ready to DFA anyway. Some AAA lottery ticket arm. I honestly think he might clear waivers if exposed.

Well, I must say that we are pretty closely aligned on this subject.   I agree with everything you said.

#89 Il BuonO

Il BuonO

Opposite Field Power

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 896 posts
  • LocationGeorgetown, TX

Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:04 AM

I honestly think he might clear waivers if exposed.

Hmm, I was just saying in the Pena thread I'd hate to lose him if that happens. Kim? Not so much.

#90 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:54 AM

Barring injuries, he's gone.

#91 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:54 AM

Barring injuries, he's gone.

I think you are right. I was looking around during that boring game to see who might need a second catcher and  could not find anyone. that stood out,  Still not sure why they went with 3 catchers last night.  Short of finding someone to take Pena or Joseph, I think Kim  is gone.

Kind of a shame, but a bat like his is lessened because he is slow as hell and a minus defender.  If he could run and defend, boom, he would be leading off.

I think a catcher goes for Crichton tonight and eventually Edwin Jackson, then Kim goes for Michael Bourne.

I think Bourne is a better player than Kim .

@mikeghg

#92 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:30 AM

Kim seems like the perfect NL PH bat off the bench. Doesn't seem to be bothered by sitting a lot. Great approach at the plate. 

Probably won't get much back for him but I think that would be good for him. 

And I bet he goes back to Korea. He seems to be having fun but I bet this whole experience hasn't exactly won him over.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#93 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:41 AM

Could we get a Bullpen Arm for him?

#94 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:45 AM

Could we get a Bullpen Arm for him?

Maybe, but not a real good one.

@mikeghg

#95 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:13 AM

Maybe, but not a real good one.

At this point with how sparingly Kim is used and the shape our BP is in anyone would be a bonus.

And then there's the chance they turn out to be BWBWG (Brach when Brach was good).

• DuffMan likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#96 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:16 AM

At this point with how sparingly Kim is used and the shape our BP is in anyone would be a bonus.

And then there's the chance they turn out to be BWBWG (Brach when Brach was good).

Funny how perception changes.  About 2 weeks ago, Brach was a monster and everyone was saying we should have traded ZB.

BWBGA-AS-Brach will be good again and Soon-IMO.

I agree, anything for Kim is good at this point, but my guess is we get another DD, DFA project.

@mikeghg

#97 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,265 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:36 PM

At this point I would be happy if they just DFA'd Kim if they can't get anything for him. The roster spot could be put to better use.  I know Bourne hasn't been hitting but his ability to run the bases and play defense would have value. 

#98 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:59 PM

http://www.espn.com/...e-michael-bourn

Bourn released.

Guess Kim is staying afterall.

#99 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:07 PM

Need to get Pedro Alvarez up. He's getting hot. DFA Kim.  

#100 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:09 PM

I think the Os didn't feel the need to keep Bourn because they still had Pedro as insurance. Wonder when his opt out is

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=