#21 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:50 PM

Last time I checked they had the 2nd wildcard berth...

Last time I checked they were getting spanked at home by Cleveland...again.

It was a nice 2 1/2 month run. A solid bullpen and some home runs can only carry you so far in the AL East. They might finish ahead of Toronto.

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

#22 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,574 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:51 PM

Is Thome really better than what we currently have at DH?

I honestly do not think so.

I think he is. I was just expecting to give up something along the lines of Tyler Kelly and Jason Berken...

#23 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:51 PM

Last time I checked they were getting spanked at home by Cleveland...again.

It was a nice 2 1/2 month run. A solid bullpen and some home runs can only carry you so far in the AL East. They might finish ahead of Toronto.

So the team should be sellers?
@PeterDiLutis

#24 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:52 PM

Great trade for the Phils. The only way it is for us is if we make the playoffs and he's a contributor.

#25 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:53 PM

So the team should be sellers?

Right now? No. They should be ready to be sellers at the deadline. I do have hope for next season so I wouldn't suggest a fire sale but both JJ and JJ should be on the block as well as other bullpen pieces.

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

#26 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:54 PM

As Dan Moroz and I mentioned on Twitter - Thome brings MAYBE 1/2 a win in value. Do you really feel good about giving up 1 decent RP prospect and a high upside guy for 1/2 a win? I don't.
  • Can_of_corn likes this
@JeffLongBP

#27 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

I think he is. I was just expecting to give up something along the lines of Tyler Kelly and Jason Berken...

Maybe, I just don't see his stats being that good this year.

Regardless, like you said, the O's gave up too much.

#28 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,574 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Can only hope Duquette's scouts are way down on these guys and are selling high... Duquette obviously isn't scared of trading mid level prospects for spare parts.

#29 waroriole

waroriole

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 519 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:56 PM

Just terrible......glad to see I'm not in the minority over here. I hate to see what's next......Schoop for Abreu?

#30 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:56 PM

As Dan Moroz and I mentioned on Twitter - Thome brings MAYBE 1/2 a win in value. Do you really feel good about giving up 1 decent RP prospect and a high upside guy for 1/2 a win? I don't.

Stats are great and in many instances I'm a fan, but the game isn't played on a computer.

For the first time in 14 years, the Orioles are trying to win. For guys like Brian Roberts and Nick Markakis, this move shows them something instantly.

Thome is a leader and he knows how to win...

I find it hard to believe replacing the worst offensive player on the roster with Jim Thome won't result in more than MAYBE a 1/2 win.
@PeterDiLutis

#31 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:59 PM

A future Hall-of-Famer that still has good power on a team like ours, may be a true benefit to our younger players. Having that sort of wealth of knowledge sitting on the bench, and available to you has to be a good thing. As well, it may be a precursor deal to something else. Otherwise, it does seem to be an odd move in a vacuum.

#32 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,405 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:02 PM

This team needs to take advantage of the position in the standings that they are in and do everything they can to stay there.

Then they should have traded for a SP, not a 41-yo DH.

#33 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:06 PM

My post on the trade: http://warehousewort...-for-thome.html
@JeffLongBP

#34 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:08 PM

Stats are great and in many instances I'm a fan, but the game isn't played on a computer.

For the first time in 14 years, the Orioles are trying to win. For guys like Brian Roberts and Nick Markakis, this move shows them something instantly.

Thome is a leader and he knows how to win...

I find it hard to believe replacing the worst offensive player on the roster with Jim Thome won't result in more than MAYBE a 1/2 win.

Who are you going to replace? Reynolds? Betemit?

The worst offensive player on the roster is Roberts.
I just think that this is the type of move that fans love, but actually hurts the team in the long run. Odds are Simon & Lino don't pan out, but that's not the point. It's about the process and trading minor leaguers for marginal upgrades doesn't represent a very solid value proposition.
@JeffLongBP

#35 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,574 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:11 PM

I just think that this is the type of move that fans love, but actually hurts the team in the long run. Odds are Simon & Lino don't pan out, but that's not the point. It's about the process and trading minor leaguers for marginal upgrades doesn't represent a very solid value proposition.

Agreed. We need all the talent we can get in this system. If it was just Simon that's one thing but Lino has high upside.

#36 JTrea81

JTrea81

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:15 PM

Just terrible......glad to see I'm not in the minority over here. I hate to see what's next......Schoop for Abreu?

Really? Lino and Simon may never see the majors, and we got Jim Thome, a proven bat to help our lineup who is still crushing the ball at 41.

These are the types of deals you make when you are in contention.

This was our 18th and 21st best prospects. Our system will survive without them and if it can't we might as well contract the team now.

We can replace both of them with two international signings this summer for example.

#37 waroriole

waroriole

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 519 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:17 PM

Really? Lino and Simon may never see the majors, and we got Jim Thome, a proven bat to help our lineup who is still crushing the ball at 41.

These are the types of deals you make when you are in contention.

This was our 18th and 21st best prospects. Our system will survive without them and if it can't we might as well contract the team now.

We can replace both of them with two international signings this summer for example.

I think we just have two different philosophies on how this team should be built. I like acquiring Thome, I just think DD got fleeced. It's infuriating to lose prospects when you have so few. Also, I'd be surprised if we make significant signings in IFA this year.

#38 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:21 PM

But the Orioles aren't making moves for value in 2016. They're trying to win a championship now.

We are so used to being in rebuilding and developmental mode that we're missing the point this season. The point is to win a championship! It's a total 360 from the last 14 seasons.

That's not to say you trade Arrieta for a 2 month rental because you don't. But the two guys they gave up? It's not a big deal at all.
@PeterDiLutis

#39 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:21 PM

I don't care about losing Lino or Simon. They're okay, low level prospects. They most likely will never make the majors, and if they do, will contribute minimally.

People that get up in arms about this kind of stuff confuse me. An excuse to complain, maybe.

@AdamWolff

#40 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:24 PM

This is the kind of minor move we have to make at this point. Granted, he is 41 and will probably need 2 days off a week but he instantly becomes our #4 hitter against RHP. I think .800 OPS is the min you should expoect where as with Reynolds, Betemit, Davis that is pretty much the max. BTW, until Nick gets back you are going to see Davis in RF, Reynolds at 1b, and Betemit at 3b vs RHP.

DO I think Simon and Lino was prob a little too much??/ Yes, they are young so in a way we're still not sure exactly what kind of prospects they are and that's a little scary but right now they are B- to C prospects. That's where you have to trust our scouts in that neither have that room for growth and unlikely to reach their upside.

People are spazzing out but again this is the definition of a minor move that a team trying to contend in late June makes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=