#81 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:31 AM

Yeah I just took a look at Hill's numbers with the Pistons. I mean I knew he was good but damn......

His Piston averages were something like

21PPG, 7 Reb, 7 Ass, 1.5 steals, 48% FG

That's great stuff.

No doubt, he was another Scottie Pippen at worst.

I did some research last night, and it seems like Charles Barkley (shocker) was the most outspoken as far as Hill not signing with Nike.
@beginthebegin71

#82 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:14 PM

Along with Johnny Dawkins, the two Duke players I actually liked.

It's a shame he didn't sign with Nike right out of college, ruined a potential Hall of Fame career.

All the best to him.

First of all, this is blasphemy. I can honestly say there has NEVER been a dookie that I've liked.

Second, even if I wanted to like Grant Hill, his father ruined it for me. He's more or less the one who kept me from becoming a full-time Orioles employee in 1993. I was up for a job and Calvin Hill (and to a lesser extent Frank Robinson and Jesse Jackson) insisted on them hiring a minority. As I was told off the record, "You're skin is too white, you haven't got boobs, and you speak English too well." When I pointed out that I was Jewish, the answer was, "That's not exactly a minority in this front office." (At the time, the team was owned by Eli Jacobs, and there were about 7 other Jews in the F.O. with me.)

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

#83 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:25 PM

First of all, this is blasphemy. I can honestly say there has NEVER been a dookie that I've liked.

Second, even if I wanted to like Grant Hill, his father ruined it for me. He's more or less the one who kept me from becoming a full-time Orioles employee in 1993. I was up for a job and Calvin Hill (and to a lesser extent Frank Robinson and Jesse Jackson) insisted on them hiring a minority. As I was told off the record, "You're skin is too white, you haven't got boobs, and you speak English too well." When I pointed out that I was Jewish, the answer was, "That's not exactly a minority in this front office." (At the time, the team was owned by Eli Jacobs, and there were about 7 other Jews in the F.O. with me.)

You can blame affirmative action(not saying its bad, just the way things are) on that stuff, not Calvin Hill...I have met him and my father was kind of friends with him and he was always a great guy to us.

#84 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:00 PM

Affirmative action is fine when there are equal candidates. The guy I was up against was much less qualified, and my boss at the time was clear in his preference for me, both because I had already worked for him successfully for 2 years and because I had better qualifications.

Calvin Hill, whether or not he was a nice person (and he was never nice to me), made it clear what the policy would be. There was no discussion allowed.

Granted, some of this might have been pressure from Jackson and the Rainbow Coalition, which was closely monitoring baseball FOs at the time. But it was Hill who put the dagger in my back once and for all, and I've never been able to forgive him.

-Walter Sobchak

#85 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:13 PM

Affirmative action is fine when there are equal candidates. The guy I was up against was much less qualified, and my boss at the time was clear in his preference for me, both because I had already worked for him successfully for 2 years and because I had better qualifications.

Calvin Hill, whether or not he was a nice person (and he was never nice to me), made it clear what the policy would be. There was no discussion allowed.

Granted, some of this might have been pressure from Jackson and the Rainbow Coalition, which was closely monitoring baseball FOs at the time. But it was Hill who put the dagger in my back once and for all, and I've never been able to forgive him.

Yea well, welcome to the Baltimore Orioles and how things are run in general.

Something to always remember/live by....If Jesse Jackson has his hands in it, its always his fault.

#86 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,635 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:46 PM

/EndTangent

Looks like Brooklyn is out on the Dwight Howard sweepstakes. This leaves the Lakers and Rockets as the main option for Orlando. Things should get interesting...

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#87 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:02 PM

Nets sign Brook Lopez to a 4yr/$60 mil contract before he could sign an offer sheet from Charlotte. He can't be traded until Jan 15, so that ends the Nets' pursuit of Howard....for now.

Chris Kaman signs with Dallas, 1yr/$8mil. Centers are dropping off the market fast.

#88 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:01 PM

Nets sign Brook Lopez to a 4yr/$60 mil contract before he could sign an offer sheet from Charlotte. He can't be traded until Jan 15, so that ends the Nets' pursuit of Howard....for now.

Chris Kaman signs with Dallas, 1yr/$8mil. Centers are dropping off the market fast.

Lopez hasn't signed the deal yet..just agreed.

#89 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,388 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:29 PM

The Magic have to cave now if they want to deal with the Nets, and even then, it would be shady on the Nets part after agreeing to the deal unless Lopez doesn't care either way.

BTW, Howard handled this so poorly. He should have been able to just sign with the Nets this off-season. His decision or indecision has been worse than LeBron's decision imo.

#90 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:41 PM

The Magic have to cave now if they want to deal with the Nets, and even then, it would be shady on the Nets part after agreeing to the deal unless Lopez doesn't care either way.

BTW, Howard handled this so poorly. He should have been able to just sign with the Nets this off-season. His decision or indecision has been worse than LeBron's decision imo.[/quote]

Its been bad. Opting out was not only the best move for him personally but his best business decision too. I refuse to understand how his agent didn't hold him at gun point and stop him from making that pledge to not opt out.

#91 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,388 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:50 PM

BTW, Howard handled this so poorly. He should have been able to just sign with the Nets this off-season. His decision or indecision has been worse than LeBron's decision imo.[/quote]

Its been bad. Opting out was not only the best move for him personally but his best business decision too. I refuse to understand how his agent didn't hold him at gun point and stop him from making that pledge to not opt out.

No clue.

BTW, LeBron's move was still worse PR wise, but Dwight's series of moves have been collectively dumber imo.

#92 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:11 PM

It really is a shame that players can hold their team hostage like that. Don't see anything like this in baseball, at least not to this extent.
@mrbeanage

#93 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,388 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:12 PM

It really is a shame that players can hold their team hostage like that. Don't see anything like this in baseball, at least not to this extent.

Yes, but at the same time, the Magic could have dealt him before and still can obviously. This is a situation that happens in baseball too with guys who don't want to re-sign or can't be afforded (at least that doesn't happen with stars in the NBA), but it's just normally a much bigger story in the NBA.

#94 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:27 AM

Heard a rumor that the Pacers might trade Hansbrough, and that Charlotte is very interested.

I;m curious how that will work out, with Gerald Henderson already on the Bobcats. For those who don't recall, there was this incident between them:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=C04fSlYTGzI

-Walter Sobchak

#95 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:47 AM

In fact, I'm hearing lots of rumors about Tar Heels being pursued by the Bobcats:

Hansbrough (as mentioned above)
Brendan Haywood (released on amnesty by Dallas)
Antawn Jamison (free agent, originally from Charlotte, lives there in offseason)

Jamison, it is also rumored, is being pursued by Mitch Kupchak to give the Lakers a big boost to their bench, but the Lakers can only offer the veteran's minimum. Another option is a sign-and-trade with the Nets now that the Howard business has fallen through. The Nets are an attractive destination to Jamison now that they have agreed to terms with his buddy Jerry Stackhouse. One last option is a return to the Warriors, who were Jamison's first team in the league.

Haywood would give Charlotte a center, which they are currently lacking. They are also thinking about Ramon Sessions to be their PG, allowing them to deal DJ Augustin to the Pacers, possibly for Hansbrough.

As long as I'm discussing Tar Heels, congratulations to Danny Freakin' Green on signing a 3-year, $12M deal with the Spurs. I'm really happy to see a good guy work hard and get rewarded for it.

-Walter Sobchak

#96 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,635 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:29 AM

Speaking of which, for as much crap as we give dook, when was the last time UNC developed a superstar in the NBA? They've had a ton of crap over the last decade or so.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#97 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:00 AM

Speaking of which, for as much crap as we give dook, when was the last time UNC developed a superstar in the NBA? They've had a ton of crap over the last decade or so.

It's been a while, Jamison & Carter (people forget how HUGE Vince was in his first few years, before he acted like he got shot every time he was touched) of course, and it looks like Ty Lawson could be an all star one day. I think Barnes will be as well.

Felton & MArvin have been decent NBA players, though Marvin's lasting legacy will be that he was drafted in front of Chris Paul & Deron Williams. But yeah, Sean May & Rashad McCants were out of the league within 2 years, and Ed Davis, Brandan Wright, and Wayne Ellington have really been no factor..

Hansbrough's been exactly what everyone thought, plays his butt off but skills are limited. Brian mentioned Danny Green, who really is a nice story, but Gregg Popovich could probably make me a useful player somehow..
@beginthebegin71

#98 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:13 AM

Heard a rumor that the Pacers might trade Hansbrough, and that Charlotte is very interested.

I;m curious how that will work out, with Gerald Henderson already on the Bobcats. For those who don't recall, there was this incident between them:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=C04fSlYTGzI

Remember when SG was trying to defend him back at the foxhole all those years ago..Good times!

These guys are probably friends anyway, remember Henderson & Wayne Ellington are BFF..

Speaking of that, I had no idea that Harrison Barnes & Kyrie Irving love each other so much. We fans make so much more of this stuff than the guys themselves.. Ain't like the old days, that's for sure.
@beginthebegin71

#99 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:35 AM

Remember when SG was trying to defend him back at the foxhole all those years ago..Good times!

These guys are probably friends anyway, remember Henderson & Wayne Ellington are BFF..

Speaking of that, I had no idea that Harrison Barnes & Kyrie Irving love each other so much. We fans make so much more of this stuff than the guys themselves.. Ain't like the old days, that's for sure.

Barnes almost went to Duke...Kyrie was campaigning to get him to Durham.

With the AAU and things like that, all of these guys know each other so well now.

And good for Henderson!

#100 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:33 PM

Hill not retiring:

http://sports.chroni... ... -retiring/

0 user(s) are reading this topic