Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,636 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:57 PM

No way I do this if I'm the Lakers.

Money aside, the real net change here is Bynum AND Gasol for Howard.

Not enough even with the depth getting those other players adds.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#62 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:06 PM

No way I do this if I'm the Lakers.

Money aside, the real net change here is Bynum AND Gasol for Howard.

Not enough even with the depth getting those other players adds.

Yea, that's the biggest point.

Now, it does seem as if the Lakers are very worried and more aware of the salary cap/luxury concerns under the new Buss regime than before, so I could see this being appealing to them to help with the money side of things long term.

The question is, does this trade put them closer to winning a title vs status quo?

To me, it either has to be something this big OR Bynum has to say he will extend long term in Orlando and a simple Bynum for Howard swap takes place.

The only way the Lakers can get Howard is with Bynum going there or another team trading Orlando the assets that make it worth it for them to send Howard to LA. The only way that happens is if both Gasol and Bynum are involved and since Bynum is open to an extension in Cleveland and they have already been on this, this idea makes sense.

But again, is it worth it to the Lakers?

If I am the TWolves, I would rather have Thompson, Williams and 2 first rounders vs the return in the Brooklyn 4 team deal.

I would think all teams would be open to this deal with the exception of the Lakers...they would be the hesitant team in that trade IMO.

Personally, if I am the Lakers, I make the deal. I think they are better off long term even if Howard leaves because they will always have players that want to go there.

On top of that, contending for a title plus 30 million more in salary is going to be a lot for Howard to turn down.

#63 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,636 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:42 PM

Despite what Howard says, I think he would sign an extension with the Lakers if he was traded there.

@bopper33

#64 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

Despite what Howard says, I think he would sign an extension with the Lakers if he was traded there.

I do too.

Maybe not immediately but he would eventually.

And if I am the Lakers, I would rather have Howard and some cap space vs Gasol and Bynum.

#65 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,636 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:58 PM

I think you're underrated Bynum. While Howard is clearly the #1 center in the league I have to believe that Bynum is second. They were close in PER last year (Howard 6th I believe and Bynum was around 11). The big difference between the two is the defense which may be enough reason for the Lakers to upgrade to Howard but I'm not sure it's worth it if we have to lose Gasol as well.

@bopper33

#66 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:14 PM

I think you're underrated Bynum. While Howard is clearly the #1 center in the league I have to believe that Bynum is second. They were close in PER last year (Howard 6th I believe and Bynum was around 11). The big difference between the two is the defense which may be enough reason for the Lakers to upgrade to Howard but I'm not sure it's worth it if we have to lose Gasol as well.

I think Bynum is an awesome player. But that doesn't mean he fits the Lakers or that they will be able to win with him.

I like the Lakers chances of winning a title better with Howard and spare parts vs what they have now.

#67 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,636 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:22 PM

Well they've won two titles with him already so they clearly are able to win with him (although Kobe was younger). My biggest misgiving about this trade is losing Gasol, I still think he's a very valuable player. He's tall and because of his shooting touch can stretch big defenders away from the basket. I also think with Nash he will be improved next year. I'd much rather just swap Bynum for Howard basically and roll from there.

@bopper33

#68 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:45 PM

Well they've won two titles with him already so they clearly are able to win with him (although Kobe was younger). My biggest misgiving about this trade is losing Gasol, I still think he's a very valuable player. He's tall and because of his shooting touch can stretch big defenders away from the basket. I also think with Nash he will be improved next year. I'd much rather just swap Bynum for Howard basically and roll from there.

He wasn't a major piece on those teams.

I also think Gasol is still good and LA would be better keeping him but I'm not sure they can.

There is a report now that says Howard to the Lakers, Bynum to Houston and picks/players to Orlando.

#69 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

Wizards are still considering using the amnesty on Blatche. Window is open from tomorrow to the 17th. I think this is a smart move because I am not sure how well he fit with the team. Maybe a change of scenery will do him well.

http://www.hoopsrumo...atche.html#more
@mrbeanage

#70 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,388 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:55 PM

I do too.

Maybe not immediately but he would eventually.

And if I am the Lakers, I would rather have Howard and some cap space vs Gasol and Bynum.

What cap space are you talking about?

Hedo and JRich are signed for 2 more years at near 18M while Gasol is signed for 2 more years at 19M. And they aren't saving any money on Howard vs Bynum.

That trade would be awful for the Lakers as they're getting a slight upgrade over Bynum at the cost of a top 20 player, and in return they're getting some overpaid mediocre players to go along with that slight upgrade.

I'd much rather keep Bynum and deal Gasol for additional parts or just keep Gasol and Bynum.

#71 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,388 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:15 PM

Rashard Lewis signed with the Heat.

If he can get his shooting touch back, that's just going to be another weapon for the Heat on offense.

#72 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,388 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:09 PM

Grant Hill is retiring.

#73 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:29 PM

if I'm the Lakers I'm not trading for Howard unless he signs an extension. I mean you just can't take that risk of losing Bynum for 1 year of Howard. I think Howard could probably be talked into resigning with the Lakers but Bynum is too close to him overall to make a trade without the extension. I actually think it's possible Howard already has an under the table hand shake with the Nets and or told DWill he would come.

#74 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:34 PM

Grant Hill is retiring.

Along with Johnny Dawkins, the two Duke players I actually liked.

It's a shame he didn't sign with Nike right out of college, ruined a potential Hall of Fame career.

All the best to him.
@beginthebegin71

#75 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:01 PM

Along with Johnny Dawkins, the two Duke players I actually liked.

It's a shame he didn't sign with Nike right out of college, ruined a potential Hall of Fame career.

All the best to him.

What does that even mean?? That the shoes he was wearing at the time had something to do with his ankle injuries??

#76 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:06 PM

What does that even mean?? That the shoes he was wearing at the time had something to do with his ankle injuries??

Yes, he was the first guy to sign with FILA when they wanted to be involved in Basketball. He was warned by a lot of players, but signed a huge deal at the time..Once he came back, he did switch to Nike, and had no more problems, but he couldn't really jump anymore.
@beginthebegin71

#77 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:19 PM

Yes, he was the first guy to sign with FILA when they wanted to be involved in Basketball. He was warned by a lot of players, but signed a huge deal at the time..Once he came back, he did switch to Nike, and had no more problems, but he couldn't really jump anymore.

I'd have to google all of that, which I will, but I don't know. I think some basketball shoes are offer better protection than others but I mean the bad ankle sprains/breaks, etc will happen with any shoes. I know Hill took some issues with the Pistons training staff and himself for playing with the ankle not 100%. I tend to agree with him that those were probably the biggest culprits.

#78 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:22 PM

I'd have to google all of that, which I will but I mean I don't know. I think some basketball shoes are offer better protection than others but I mean the bad ankle sprains/breaks, etc will happen with any shoes. I know Hill took some issues with the Pistons training staff and himself for playing with the ankle not 100%. I tend to agree with him that those were probably the biggest culprits.

Yea, Hill never came out and straight up blamed FILA, but a lot of people did, and being the class act that he's always been, he chose to take the high road. Obviously we'll never know for sure how much, if any effect the shoes may have had, but FILA didn't stay in the game very long, and Hill eventually went to Nike.

I don't think there's any doubt what kind of career Hill could have had if he'd have been healthy throughout.
@beginthebegin71

#79 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:38 PM

Yeah I just took a look at Hill's numbers with the Pistons. I mean I knew he was good but damn......

His Piston averages were something like

21PPG, 7 Reb, 7 Ass, 1.5 steals, 48% FG

That's great stuff.

#80 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:25 AM

Shame Hill is retiring.

Would have liked to have seen him go somewhere and win a title. He can still play. They talked this year about how amazing it is that he still guard several different types of players at his age.

http://espn.go.com/n.../336/grant-hill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=