#101 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:34 PM

In fact, I'm hearing lots of rumors about Tar Heels being pursued by the Bobcats:

Hansbrough (as mentioned above)
Brendan Haywood (released on amnesty by Dallas)
Antawn Jamison (free agent, originally from Charlotte, lives there in offseason)

Jamison, it is also rumored, is being pursued by Mitch Kupchak to give the Lakers a big boost to their bench, but the Lakers can only offer the veteran's minimum. Another option is a sign-and-trade with the Nets now that the Howard business has fallen through. The Nets are an attractive destination to Jamison now that they have agreed to terms with his buddy Jerry Stackhouse. One last option is a return to the Warriors, who were Jamison's first team in the league.

Haywood would give Charlotte a center, which they are currently lacking. They are also thinking about Ramon Sessions to be their PG, allowing them to deal DJ Augustin to the Pacers, possibly for Hansbrough.

As long as I'm discussing Tar Heels, congratulations to Danny Freakin' Green on signing a 3-year, $12M deal with the Spurs. I'm really happy to see a good guy work hard and get rewarded for it.

The bad news for them is if they sign Haywood, they would still be lacking a center. ;)

#102 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,563 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:00 PM

Griffin hurt his knee during Team USA practice (swelled up afterwards, not something immediately noticeable) and will get an MRI.

#103 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,563 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:02 PM

Houston is amnestying Scola to create more space to make a deal for Howard. If Howard goes into FA next off-season, HOU will be capable of adding both him and CP3.

#104 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,563 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:56 PM

Griffin hurt his knee during Team USA practice (swelled up afterwards, not something immediately noticeable) and will get an MRI.

It's been reported that he will be ready for training camp.

#105 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:13 PM

Houston is amnestying Scola to create more space to make a deal for Howard. If Howard goes into FA next off-season, HOU will be capable of adding both him and CP3.

Is it to deal for Howard or Bynum or just Howard?

#106 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,563 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:18 PM

Is it to deal for Howard or Bynum or just Howard?

It's for Howard because now they'll be able to take back more of the bad ORL contracts. But sure, they'd take Bynum too. However, it would be their assets going to ORL, and them taking the bad contracts, so why wouldn't they just get Howard?

#107 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:21 PM

It's for Howard because now they'll be able to take back more of the bad ORL contracts. But sure, they'd take Bynum too. However, it would be their assets going to ORL, and them taking the bad contracts, so why wouldn't they just get Howard?

Only reason that makes sense is Bynum will sign there and Howard likely won't...at least not now.

In other words, you have more of a known with Bynum.

#108 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,460 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:21 PM

But Howard would just be a rental for a team not named the Nets right?

#109 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:25 PM

But Howard would just be a rental for a team not named the Nets right?

Going into the season, yes.

But a team like the Lakers, where he can win this year, may change his tune.

He also will have to turn down like 30 million more dollars to go elsewhere.

#110 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,563 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:32 PM

Only reason that makes sense is Bynum will sign there and Howard likely won't...at least not now.

In other words, you have more of a known with Bynum.

I don't think Bynum is a sure thing to extend with Houston, but sure, if they learn that he is, maybe they can take Bynum in a 3 way.

#111 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,574 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:53 AM

The Rockets are apparently convinced that playing a year in Houston will make Howard willing to sign there.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#112 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:49 AM

The Rockets are apparently convinced that playing a year in Houston will make Howard willing to sign there.

Well, it could...He will have to take a lot less money to go somewhere else.

My thing is this....With them taking on 3 of the 4 of Davis, JRich, Hedo and Duhon, how are they going to be able to afford to do much in free agency next offseason.

On top of that, with them getting rid of draft picks and the 3 players they just drafted in this deal, what trade chips would they even have to pull off a sign and trade, if that's what needs to happen for a guy like Paul, if he even wants to go there.

#113 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 20,044 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

Well, it could...He will have to take a lot less money to go somewhere else.

My thing is this....With them taking on 3 of the 4 of Davis, JRich, Hedo and Duhon, how are they going to be able to afford to do much in free agency next offseason.

On top of that, with them getting rid of draft picks and the 3 players they just drafted in this deal, what trade chips would they even have to pull off a sign and trade, if that's what needs to happen for a guy like Paul, if he even wants to go there.

I would think Houston will still have room. With them getting Scola off their cap they practically have nothing on their current roster that they'd owe beyond this season (assuming their current draft picks go to Orlando). Even with Hedo, Duhon and JR taking up about $22 million, I'd think they'd still have space to sign Paul and then use Bird Rights to extend Howard. With those two as teammates, then they'd probably be able to find some decent vets willing to take less to round out the roster, like Miami has.

But as you mentioned, without anything to give the Clippers to induce a S&T, Paul would have to be willing to take less money to go to Houston and play with Howard.

#114 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:22 PM

Knicks going after Felton...may not match Lin offer sheet.

#115 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 20,044 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:32 PM

Knicks going after Felton...may not match Lin offer sheet.

The originally reported deal had NY getting Felton (after signing a 3-year/$10 mil contract) & Kurt Thomas and Portland getting Jared Jeffries, Dan Gadzuric and 2016 2nd round pick. But The Oregonian is saying that there may be more coming to the Blazers. I would hope so, since it makes no sense on their part to take on the salaries of Jeffries and Gadzuric for just a 2nd round pick they won't even use for four years.

#116 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 20,044 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:16 PM

And more Knicks news....Jason Kidd was arrested for DWI after a crash that required hospital treatment.

http://espn.go.com/n...ted-charged-dwi

#117 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,574 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:15 PM

Ugh, the Knicks are such a mess. They need to trade Amare or Carmelo and start over.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#118 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,563 posts