#5741 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 02 April 2023 - 10:36 AM

Is it just me or has this gotten a lot worse over the years?  When I was growing up, I played youth sports and, sure, there were loud parents (as an umpire at HYCP I even had to toss a parent once lol) but, honestly, you never saw anything close to some of the horror stories you are hearing about today.

People are just more stressed these days, I think.

• Mackus likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#5742 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 12:17 PM

Is it just me or has this gotten a lot worse over the years?  When I was growing up, I played youth sports and, sure, there were loud parents (as an umpire at HYCP I even had to toss a parent once lol) but, honestly, you never saw anything close to some of the horror stories you are hearing about today.

I think the internet and video help publicize the horror stories more, is the main difference.  So you'll hear about something ridiculous that happens basically anywhere instead of just something local to your league or area.

Also an HCYP umpire!  Tossed way more than one parent :)

• Pedro Cerrano likes this

#5743 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 02:47 PM

Was just talking to my wife about this. I think Gen X and whatever it is after us have become guilty of extreme over parenting.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#5744 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 03:46 PM

I think the internet and video help publicize the horror stories more, is the main difference. So you'll hear about something ridiculous that happens basically anywhere instead of just something local to your league or area.

Also an HCYP umpire! Tossed way more than one parent :)

People are quitting officiating at the youth levels at an alarming rate though. They wouldn’t be if the incident amounts were the same as the always have been.

Club sports are the devil. Parents don’t want to see their kids get hosed on a call when they shelled out a thousand dollars for one season. Instead of like the $98 at the Y where everyone plays. Thats what didn’t exist 30-40 years ago, at least at the magnitude it is now anyway.
@BSLMikeRandall

#5745 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 04:02 PM

People are quitting officiating at the youth levels at an alarming rate though. They wouldn’t be if the incident amounts were the same as the always have been.

Club sports are the devil. Parents don’t want to see their kids get hosed on a call when they shelled out a thousand dollars for one season. Instead of like the $98 at the Y where everyone plays. Thats what didn’t exist 30-40 years ago, at least at the magnitude it is now anyway.

I played travel baseball and the parents were a little worse there but not egregious. Don’t think my folks paid thousands for me to play but this was three decades ago. I am old.

@bopper33

#5746 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 06:43 AM

I think it's a lot of things.  General lack of respect for others, lack of understanding of rules, inability to put things in perspective, etc.

But mostly its parents being concerned about their kid and their kid only.  Not understanding that the coach has 15 other kids that they're trying to look out for.  Apparently this situation was because a parent was mad that his daughter got taken out of goal.  She wasn't taking out because she was doing bad - she was taken out to give another girl a chance to play goal.  Which is totally appropriate in 4th-5th grade lacrosse.  So this guy laid into the coach after the game, the coach wasn't happy with the support she was getting from the rec council, so she said peace out.

We did have another parent step up to help coach, so hopefully all's well that ends well.  

• russsnyder likes this

#5747 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 09:24 AM

Boom you nailed a lot it at the end of your first paragraph. The council or the league officials or association if your an official/ump are big. They have to do the right things. They have to support the officials and the coaches who are doing things the right way. Its huge. Youre still gonna have some that act up and like fools but a lot more of them bite their tongue and at least wait til their home or in their cars to start acting like fools.

#5748 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 04 April 2023 - 02:11 PM

I think it's a lot of things. General lack of respect for others, lack of understanding of rules, inability to put things in perspective, etc.

But mostly its parents being concerned about their kid and their kid only. Not understanding that the coach has 15 other kids that they're trying to look out for. Apparently this situation was because a parent was mad that his daughter got taken out of goal. She wasn't taking out because she was doing bad - she was taken out to give another girl a chance to play goal. Which is totally appropriate in 4th-5th grade lacrosse. So this guy laid into the coach after the game, the coach wasn't happy with the support she was getting from the rec council, so she said peace out.

We did have another parent step up to help coach, so hopefully all's well that ends well.

I'm glad someone stepped up. I live in Sykesville and if I knew anything about lacrosse, I would have offered. (My granddaughter plays high school lacrosse and even though I like watching her olay, I have no interest in anything else about the sport.)

I coached rec and travel baseball for about six years. The disturbing part if your story is the league not supporting the coach after she was pulled up by the parent. I bet the parentin this case was the father, the male vs. female dynamic makes a bad situation worse.

My suggestion to anyone coaching amateur sports is not to be friends with any parent whose kid you coach. You can be friendly, but you can't have beers with parents. Furyher, the other good rule is to have is that you won't discuss playng time with parents. The only time I wanted to hear from a parent was if the kid was going on a vacation or if they needed to use not playing on the team as a means of punishment. I hope after this episode, that the new coach doesn't entertain any interference from these too involved parents.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#5749 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 04 April 2023 - 02:20 PM

Is it just me or has this gotten a lot worse over the years? When I was growing up, I played youth sports and, sure, there were loud parents (as an umpire at HYCP I even had to toss a parent once lol) but, honestly, you never saw anything close to some of the horror stories you are hearing about today.

I think You're correct that people are more stressed. There is an overall general lack of mutual respect that has become more prevalent over time as well. In this particular case, it's most disturbing that the league didn't stand up more for the coach. I don't know all of the particulars, however, no one who volunteers to coach a rec team should be subjected to any harrassment about playing time/positioning by a parent. That league needs to address the code of conduct that the parents sign.

#5750 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 15 June 2023 - 07:48 PM

I'm in Chicago and why is it 56 degrees with a strong breeze right now?

Hopefully tomorrow when I'm at the game will be more fitting for the anti-rants!

#5751 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 15 June 2023 - 07:50 PM

I'm in Chicago and why is it 56 degrees with a strong breeze right now?

Hopefully tomorrow when I'm at the game will be more fitting for the anti-rants!

Give me 56 with a strong breeze and a hoodie over 85 with 80% humidity all day every day. I could do 56 and a strong breeze every day and be happy

#5752 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,630 posts

Posted 15 June 2023 - 08:04 PM

Give me 56 with a strong breeze and a hoodie over 85 with 80% humidity all day every day. I could do 56 and a strong breeze every day and be happy

Golfing in a strong crosswind playing Tiger Woods on the ol' console was fun. Golfing in 50+ degree, windy conditions? Eh. I dunno man. 

#5753 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 15 June 2023 - 08:37 PM

Sure. However this should be more like 70 right now.

#5754 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 15 June 2023 - 08:51 PM

Also, this is colder than hoodie weather, at least without the sun out and at least for me.

#5755 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 18 June 2023 - 03:01 PM

Also, this is colder than hoodie weather, at least without the sun out and at least for me.

My one trip to Chicago several years ago was in the dead of winter. Not one day was out of the teens and it snowed a couple of times. I guess you are seeng why it's called the windy city.

#5756 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 18 June 2023 - 03:05 PM

My one trip to Chicago several years ago was in the dead of winter. Not one day was out of the teens and it snowed a couple of times. I guess you are seeng why it's called the windy city.

I’ve been to Chicago several times. The only time I went in the dead of winter was February of Kobe’s last season to see the Lakers play the Bulls. I think it was like 60 degrees that week. Crazy.

@bopper33

#5757 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 18 June 2023 - 03:05 PM

Hope you had a good trip. Glad you could see at least one W (assuming you went to all 3 games)

@bopper33

#5758 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 04:45 AM

I’ve been to Chicago several times. The only time I went in the dead of winter was February of Kobe’s last season to see the Lakers play the Bulls. I think it was like 60 degrees that week. Crazy.

Best move I made was to ignore my co-worker's advice. He suggested that I rent a car. Instead, I took cabs everywhere I had to go. The service was incredible and I didn't have to drive in treacherous conditions.

#5759 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 02:46 PM

I go to the gym at the local Y. Summers and days when schools are out are the worst. Tons of teens in the fitness center, clogging up machines, no clue what they're doing, sitting at a machine for 10-15 mins staring at their phones. I'm trying to rehab a knee and wanted to use leg machines. Of course they're the most popular machines in the place. Even when school is in session. Some 17-18 year old kid was sitting at one of them for like 10 mins, staring at his phone. I walked up and said you've been on your phone for the last 5 mins, bud. You gonna finish up? "I have one more set."

I had to leave and go back to work. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe never.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#5760 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 10 July 2023 - 10:40 AM

Larry Nassar is one giant piece of shit. Shame our tax dollars are going to be going towards keeping him in jail vs just killing the fucker.

Looks like someone tried to do that...

https://www.cnn.com/...ison/index.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=