#121 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 February 2016 - 08:32 AM

Selective memory. I thought Holtby was easily the best out of the trio of him, Varly and Neuvy. I was in the minority. I made the remark you're referencing during a frustrating stretch of awful defensive hockey a few years ago. I was pissed and frustrated because it appeared our window was closing under Oates and GMGM. What a difference a couple years makes.

And yeah that Red Wings team was great. Good call.

#122 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 13 February 2016 - 09:25 AM

Selective memory. I thought Holtby was easily the best out of the trio of him, Varly and Neuvy. I was in the minority. I made the remark you're referencing during a frustrating stretch of awful defensive hockey a few years ago. I was pissed and frustrated because it appeared our window was closing under Oates and GMGM. What a difference a couple years makes.

And yeah that Red Wings team was great. Good call.

Yeah I know, that's why I understood why you were saying it. Just sometimes it's hard to see the reason behind results in the now. BB was too offensive and punted defense (you see it in ANA right now too, it'll win you some games, but run into a hot goalie and you are toast). Hunter was too conservative, it'll help you win in the playoffs, but you have to get there first, and not much room for mistakes. Oates was a little more in between the two, but the problem hiring inexperienced coaches is you just never know until it happens, he made a really poor choice in his staff I think, and turned over too much defensive responsibility. That defensive scheme was pretty horrible, and hung Holts out to dry way too often.

The funny thing is if you go back quite a few years, Trotz was the heir apparent to the job here in DC. He was being groomed, knew all the players etc. But David Poile left as GM and took Trotz from our minor league team to start Nashville. That following year is the year they fired Shoenfeld, where the job would have gone to Trotz at that point, instead they hired Ron Wilson. Then there were some botches after Wilson and into the rebuilding years. Just funny how things work out I guess.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#123 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,741 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 13 February 2016 - 09:27 AM

Selective memory. I thought Holtby was easily the best out of the trio of him, Varly and Neuvy. I was in the minority. I made the remark you're referencing during a frustrating stretch of awful defensive hockey a few years ago. I was pissed and frustrated because it appeared our window was closing under Oates and GMGM. What a difference a couple years makes.And yeah that Red Wings team was great. Good call.

To be fair, Carly and Neuvy have been pretty damn good too. Both are NHL starting goalies but we definitely went with the beat of the bunch.
McClellan has been great as GM, really helping the team get over the hump. Kind of reminds me of DD coming on after McPhail.

#124 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 02:22 PM

Sports on Earth: Cap Tip: Holtby a Washington Save-ior
http://www.sportsone...s-missing-piece

#125 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:34 PM

Really fun game tonight. Grubauer has been fantastic, and Kuzy just netted the go ahead goal with 2:02 remaining in the 3rd. Richards with a beautiful pass behind the net on that. Really gritty possession all around there, a thing of beauty. Caps look poised to pick up another 2 points.

• DuffMan likes this

#126 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,741 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:18 AM

Took them awhile to get going but once they did they played much better.  Orpik looked solid in his return after missing 40 games.   Got crushed in the faceoff department last night, getting Beagle back will help with that.

#127 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 February 2016 - 08:16 PM

Ovi with 2 more goals not even halfway through tonight's game in Brooklyn. Caps lead 2-1.

#128 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,741 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:30 AM

Ovi with 2 more goals not even halfway through tonight's game in Brooklyn. Caps lead 2-1.

Just missed out on another Hat Trick when his shot in OT hit the post.  Justin Williams had the game winner on a wicked slap shot.

#129 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 08:51 PM

CSN Mid-Atlantic: Friday 6-pack: Will Capitals make a move?

#130 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:22 AM

I was there last night for the 3-2 win over the Coyotes. Sick goal from Ovi, and a great moment when Richards netted his 1st as a Cap as the home crowd rewarded him with about a 90 second ovation. Very cool.

The Caps have a cool 40 points to go to catch the 1976-77 Canadians team at 132 points. There are 24 games remaining. Not likely. That Canadians team had a goal differential of +217. That is absolutely insane.

Anywho, this is where the Caps stand:

-18 points up on the Rags in the Metro (1 game in hand)

-17 points up on the Panthers in the East (1 game in hand)

-11 points up on the Blackhawks for the race for the Presidents Trophy (4 games in hand)

-Caps lead the NHL in goal differential (+61)... Blackhawks 2nd at + 28.

All that said, a quote from Braden Holtby from a few weeks back: "Our goal isn't to win the regular season."

Damn right... but this is ridiculously fun nevertheless.

• Mike in STL and Markus like this

#131 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:56 AM

I think Ovi shocked himself with that goal. It went through what, three guys, and under the goalies armpit. Crazy.
@BSLMikeRandall

#132 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:58 PM

Big move for the Caps today!

#133 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:09 PM

Congratulations! Lol.

FWIW, I wish it was Shea Weber. No Offense. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#134 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:51 PM

More than they probably needed. Very rare you see a team and say, wow, I don't even see a hole, but if I was going to nit pick, I guess a depth stay at home defensemen is exactly what I'd say. Good move considering they didn't give up much and didn't pay all the salary.

Just have to stay healthy.

@JeremyMStrain

#135 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,741 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 25 February 2016 - 06:06 AM

Holtby with the early hook for the second time in the past week in a half.  After his torrid stretch in December he's certainly cooled off a bit.  Now obviously he wasn't going to maintain that level for the whole season, but his numbers have been pretty pedestrian for several weeks now.  Nothing I'm concerned about long term, but it would be nice to see him start to pick up the pace again before the playoffs start.

#136 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,741 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 26 February 2016 - 08:03 AM

Beagle is about to come back.  Unfortunately the Caps need to clear a little salary before activating him from the IR.  Trade deadline is on Monday at 3:00 p.m.   Don't be surprised if Laich is dealt before then.  With a 4.5 million hit for one more year, some team may take him just to help them hit the floor.  Here's a pretty handy link showing every teams pay roll and cap space.

http://www.generalfanager.com/teams

• You Play to Win the Game and Mike in STL like this

#137 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 09:03 PM

#40!

• DuffMan likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#138 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 08:42 AM

With 22 games left, they need to win 18 to break the wins record set by the 95-96' Red Wings (62). 19 wins plus an OT would break the points record by the 76-77' Canadiens (132). 

They have a .783 winning %. To go 18-4 would be playing at a .818 win%. They are so close to being on pace. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#139 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:06 PM

And Laich gets waived. Feel bad for the guy, especially if another team grabs him and this team goes all the way. I hope he makes it to Hershey.
@BSLMikeRandall

#140 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:09 PM

He'll still get a ring if that happens, and that'd be a good "problem" to have... that said, yes, this is a hard one. One of my favorite Caps of the past several years. Too bad he's been banged up and basically ineffective the past few years. Wish him luck. He's a very classy guy, very smart guy. Could see him being a GM, broadcaster or coach perhaps.

• Mike in STL likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=