#81 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,741 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 29 December 2015 - 01:54 PM

If the season ended today, Braden Holtby would be your Vezina winner.  

#82 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,741 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 04 January 2016 - 09:26 AM

Took just about half the season, but the Caps finally dropped two games in a row.  Caps  are dealing with a few injuries now, so we'll see how they play with out some of their regulars.   Beagle just had wrist surgery and is out 4-6 weeks.  Jay has been money on Faceoffs this year so losing him will certainly hurt, can't score if you don't have possession of the puck and the easiest way to do it is win the face off.  Carlson has some sort of leg injury (unspecified) as well and will be out for weeks, joining Orpik who's been on the shelf since early November.  It's a shame about Carlson as he's been playing great this year, the NHL is always so damn shady about injuries so hopefully this isn't too serious of an injury.

#83 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:44 PM

Two more for Ovi, including the game winner in OT has him at 499 and coming home to DC for a shot at 500. Big win over the Rags after losing a 2-0 lead in the 3rd. Caps off a beautiful day for Terps and Caps fans.
  • DuffMan likes this

#84 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:48 PM

I'm trying not to get too hyped, but from what I've been able to see it seems like they might be real contenders this year.

#85 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 January 2016 - 05:51 PM

https://vine.co/v/ihYP05MbIA6

#86 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 09 January 2016 - 06:03 PM

#499. And those faces in the background are priceless.

hMRVQYc.jpg
  • DuffMan, 1970 and Mike in STL like this

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#87 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 January 2016 - 08:46 PM

There's #500... in 801 games. One of the GOAT's. No doubt about it.

"Simply Sensational"
  • DuffMan, Mike in STL and Markus like this

#88 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 January 2016 - 10:01 PM

Nets a 2nd goal in the 3rd for 501... Caps win 7-1. Keep on rolling.

#89 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:48 AM

Nets a 2nd goal in the 3rd for 501... Caps win 7-1. Keep on rolling.

Just got around to watching that game. 501 was pretty. Classic Ovi on that one.

@BSLMikeRandall

#90 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,741 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 19 January 2016 - 01:39 PM

Maybe now that the Skins are out of the playoffs Jeremy might pop in this thread and talk some Caps Hockey with the rest of us ;)

If he does stop by I'd be curious to hear his take on the Mike Richards signing.  I get that it's a move made with an eye on the playoffs I just worry about the possibility of it disrupting the chemistry of the team.  We got him on a cheap deal so we can always move on if it doesn't work out.  If it does work out would they try and move somebody like Laich,  or would they just keep the depth for the inevitable injuries that crop up in the playoffs?

#91 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 January 2016 - 01:45 PM

Good questions Duff, I've been wondering that myself.

I don't worry about chemistry with Trotz leadership. He won't let that happen. I tend to doubt they will deal Laich or anyone like that either, like you said, it's about depth. I'd be interested to hear more from Jeremy. Hopefully he chimes in here soon.

#92 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 19 January 2016 - 01:54 PM

Maybe now that the Skins are out of the playoffs Jeremy might pop in this thread and talk some Caps Hockey with the rest of us ;)

If he does stop by I'd be curious to hear his take on the Mike Richards signing.  I get that it's a move made with an eye on the playoffs I just worry about the possibility of it disrupting the chemistry of the team.  We got him on a cheap deal so we can always move on if it doesn't work out.  If it does work out would they try and move somebody like Laich,  or would they just keep the depth for the inevitable injuries that crop up in the playoffs?

Hey, I've been reading...

I like the Richards signing actually, I was always a fan of his (as a player, maybe not as a person). I think he will be good for the PK and will be a good 3/4 C player here. He will be on his best behavior because if he isn't he could very well be out of hockey for good. If Williams vouches for you, it carries weight.

I don't think it'll mess with chemistry much, but I think the depth thing is dead on. They also signed Scott Gomez to a minor league deal, so they are stockpiling depth and players know they are a pretty clear favorite at this point. Injuries are about the only thing that could derail things, and I think those two especially as depth and some of the other guys that can play C and Wing will help out in that sense.

Remember they are still pretty dinged up on Defense as well as they have been playing, so as that balances out too they could get even better in theory.

• You Play to Win the Game and DuffMan like this
@JeremyMStrain

#93 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,741 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 19 January 2016 - 02:05 PM

Hey, I've been reading...

I like the Richards signing actually, I was always a fan of his (as a player, maybe not as a person). I think he will be good for the PK and will be a good 3/4 C player here. He will be on his best behavior because if he isn't he could very well be out of hockey for good. If Williams vouches for you, it carries weight.

I don't think it'll mess with chemistry much, but I think the depth thing is dead on. They also signed Scott Gomez to a minor league deal, so they are stockpiling depth and players know they are a pretty clear favorite at this point. Injuries are about the only thing that could derail things, and I think those two especially as depth and some of the other guys that can play C and Wing will help out in that sense.

Remember they are still pretty dinged up on Defense as well as they have been playing, so as that balances out too they could get even better in theory.

It's nice to have the luxury to take our time with these guys to get them healthy, and not have to rush them back.  Carlson was playing some of his best hockey before he went down so getting him back will be huge.  Getting Orpik back into the lineup is only going to help this team as well.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#94 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:54 PM

Hope they don't deal Laich. He's a staple on this team.
@BSLMikeRandall

#95 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:29 PM

Yeah he's not going anywhere. I don't think they'll be real sad to see that contract expire, but he's here through it. He's a great player to have, a locker room leader, and a great defensive guy that can score. Perfect 3rd liner. Problem with recent teams is we had TOO many of those type players and not enough flexibility and balance. With the youngsters stepping it up, and getting a good system in here, it's made all the difference.

The biggest surprise for me all season is seeing the Orlov - Schmidt pairing grow. I knew Orlov was a good offensive D guy, but Schmidt has been like the perfect pair for him, which is surprising to me. Like legit top 4 pairing, not even top 6.

• You Play to Win the Game and Mike in STL like this
@JeremyMStrain

#96 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,741 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 20 January 2016 - 07:47 AM

I used to think that way too, but there's a reason he was a healthy scratch the other night.  I will agree with Jeremy that his defense has been good, and he's solid on the PK but he just hasn't been the same player offensively since he dealt with all of his injuries.  With his 4.5 million dollar cap hit though he's not going anywhere.

• Mike in STL likes this

#97 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 08:33 AM

CSN Mid-Atlantic: Holtby: 'Our goal isn't to win the regular season'
http://www.csnmidatl...-regular-season

#98 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 01:47 PM

I used to think that way too, but there's a reason he was a healthy scratch the other night.  I will agree with Jeremy that his defense has been good, and he's solid on the PK but he just hasn't been the same player offensively since he dealt with all of his injuries.  With his 4.5 million dollar cap hit though he's not going anywhere.

He's not scoring cause they aren't asking him to though. He's one of those guys that will completely change his game to do what the team needs. When we needed him to be a 2nd line winger, he put up 25 goals, when they needed him to be a stopper he almost won the Selke. He's kinda like one of those old school NBA point guards that would play to what the team needed every night.

But yeah, point being made, that's why I don't think they'll be too sad to see that salary free up, because I'm sure they could go younger and cheaper, and use that money to extend Kuzy again?

@JeremyMStrain

#99 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 22 January 2016 - 12:46 PM

As of now, the Caps haven't cancelled their game tonight, nor are they offering exchanges or refunds for those who don't want to risk their lives for a hockey game.

@DJ_McCann

#100 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 January 2016 - 12:57 PM

As of now, the Caps haven't cancelled their game tonight, nor are they offering exchanges or refunds for those who don't want to risk their lives for a hockey game.

And the metro is closing early. Really don't know all the logistics involved but I'm surprised they haven't postponed the game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=