• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#141 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 27 February 2016 - 03:23 PM

I mean, let's not feel TOO bad for the guy. Good chance he stays here and gets to play in the playoffs (no cap in the postseason) and he's about to marry Julianne Hough, coming off his $25m contract.

I think he ends up sliding through, and they bring him back to play LW on the 4th line in the playoffs. If someone else claims him I'm pretty sure we'd end up with a lot more cap room, and does anyone really want to see what they could add before the deadline if they had cap room to go get a rental player?

I was really surprised when I saw his stat line. I know I said earlier this year that he adjusts his style of play to what the team needs, and he's been pretty great defensively this year which is what they needed on that 4th line, but I still thought he had more than 1 goal.

Doubt it ends up being a huge deal. He goes down for a bit, still practices with the team every day, and then gets added back to the roster for the playoffs to play next to Beags on the 4th line. Worth a shot to clear that salary for next season, and I'm betting that they know no one is going to take him to do them that favor. They are starting to line themselves up to extend the young guys and keep things together after next season.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#142 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 28 February 2016 - 11:59 PM

http://nhl.nbcsports...laich-and-more/
@DJ_McCann

#143 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 29 February 2016 - 08:39 AM

Welp, really surprised by that one to say the least.

On one hand, it's really harsh that we FINALLY have what looks like to be THE team, and he gets dealt. On the other, it's a business, and the fact that someone ate that $4.5m hit this year AND next is redic. TOR just did the Caps a much bigger favor than any other trade could have. Cap room was this team's biggest enemy, and this just went a long way towards extending the run next season, AND helping them towards extending Kuzy.

@JeremyMStrain

#144 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 01 March 2016 - 06:58 AM

And of course the Leafs come to the phone booth on Wednesday.

In other news Caps activated Beags and put Carlson on the IR.  The always non specific lower body injury.  He's supposed to be out 3-4 weeks.  Hopefully he's good to go when the playoffs get started.

#145 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 01 March 2016 - 10:23 PM

Damn entertaining game tonight between the Caps and Pens. Good guys win 3-2. This one had that playoff atmosphere to it whic made it even better. Caps had a huge advantage in the hits department, which is nice to see when they're playing Pittsburgh.

#146 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 07 March 2016 - 02:03 PM

Caps-Ducks on the left coast tonight, might have to stay up and watch them tonight.  At least watch the first period.  One issue that has cropped up lately is spotting the opposing team an early lead before the Caps get rolling.  It's a long season so I'm not concerned, but with 3 games in a row against the top 3 teams in the Pacific (Ducks, Kings, Sharks) it would nice to see them come out ready to roll.

#147 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:34 PM

Turn the game on 2 minutes after it started and the Caps were already trailing, giving up a goal 60 seconds in. Fn A

#148 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:18 PM

Turn the game on 2 minutes after it started and the Caps were already trailing, giving up a goal 60 seconds in. Fn A

Saw a stat that they've given up first goal in 11 of last 13, but still 8-4 in that time.

I definitely thought it seemed like they'd been giving up early goals, but that's crazy. Yet for every early deficit, they seem to match with the late-game push.
  • DuffMan likes this

#149 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,145 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:32 PM

The Hockey News: First-place Capitals have been very good this season — and a little bit lucky
http://www.thehockey...ttle-bit-lucky/

#150 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 16 March 2016 - 05:41 AM

Caps locked up a playoff spot last night. With only 13 games to go  there's not much drama left until the playoffs start.  Couple of individual milestones to watch for.  Will Ovie get another 50 goal season?  After a torrid February, last night was only his second goal in March.  He's got 42 on the year.  He needs 8 more which is certainly doable,  if he gets rolling again.  The other milestone to watch will be if Holtby can tie or pass Brodeur's single season win record of 48.  Last night's win gave Holtby 42 wins on the year.  There are 3 back to backs before the season ends so you can count on Grubs playing in 3 of those to help keep Braden fresh for the playoffs.  That gives him at most 10 games to get the 6-7 wins for the tie or the lead in the wins department.  Having said all of that who cares if these guys hit those milestones, just get everyone healthy and ready to go for a deep playoff run.

#151 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,145 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 10:10 PM

Sports on Earth: Caps Clinch: Now Comes The Hard Part

#152 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 21 March 2016 - 01:05 PM

So if anyone took a break from watching the Terps shitty first half play last night probably saw an even shittier performance from the Caps, against the Pens no less.  I can't even remember the last time the Caps played so poor of a game.  11 games to go, we clinch the division with our next W.  Playoffs can't start soon enough.

#153 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:18 AM

So much better effort and outcome against the Sens the other night.  Caps clinched the #1 seed in the east.   Justin Williams celebrated by dancing to cotton eyed joe!

• You Play to Win the Game and Markus like this

#154 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 08:35 PM

Turned the Caps game on just in time. Carlson with the OT game winner.
  • DuffMan likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#155 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 26 March 2016 - 08:05 AM

Yeah, it's nice to have the real american hero John Carlson back in the lineup. Post game mentioned how much better he looked last night than the first time he came back from the IR. A healthy and productive Carlson will be a big help in the playoffs.

Read an interesting article that suggested Holts has had too much rest recently, leading to some of his struggles. Obviously you want him rested for the playoffs but more importantly you want him playing well and if that means a few extra starts before the season is over then get him the work he's looking for.

#156 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 March 2016 - 10:06 AM

Caps can clinch the Presidents' Trophy with a point tonight against Columbus at Verizon Center.

• Mike in STL likes this

#157 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,145 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 09:55 AM

Sports on Earth: Caps Look Like Beasts of the East
http://www.sportsone...playoff-preview

#158 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 08 April 2016 - 10:01 AM

Sports on Earth: Caps Look Like Beasts of the East
http://www.sportsone...playoff-preview

Pittsburgh is catching fire ahead of the playoffs and I won't even mention who won the game last night in OT, barf.

#159 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 09 April 2016 - 09:40 PM

So I expected  Ovie to come up short in his quest for another 50 goal season, shows what I know.  #8 with the hat trick tonight to get to 50!  Not to be out done, Holtby picks up win #48 equally Brodeurs singles season win record!  One meaningless game left tomorrow night against the Ducks and then it's onto the playoffs (and a new thread) against Filthladelphia.

• You Play to Win the Game and Markus like this

#160 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 10:20 PM

I'm glad they got the win tonight.  Would've sucked to go into playoffs on a losing streak.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=