392 replies to this topic

#301 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 18 October 2019 - 05:54 PM

That’s unfortunate. Hoping for a full recovery and a shot at real playing time next season.

#302 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 08:41 AM

MASN: Delays for Santander and Smith could mean starts for Stewart
https://www.masnspor...-uncertain.html

#303 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:57 AM

DJ is 0 for 10, has 3 bb's, and 5 k's.   Also has 2 sac bunts. 

#304 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 12:05 PM

Brandon Hyde on DJ Stewart: "I think he’s pressing. I think he’s trying a little too hard. It just seems like every swing he’s trying to hit the baseball on top of the warehouse." #orioles

#305 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 12:45 PM

Bad start for sure.   Not just the numbers, he looks overmatched in general.  Swinging right through some mediocre fastballs.  I've been a supporter of his but he doesn't look good at all right now.

#306 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 12:47 PM

Looks horrible right now, but it's just 14 ab's.  Just super magnified when you start slow. 
Hope he get a couple of knocks and get going. 

#307 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,323 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 05 August 2020 - 02:40 PM

He's not going to make it as an MLB player. I have a new metric!  This thread is 16 pages long. if you haven't established yourself in the majors in 16 pages you are not going to cut it.  :mrgreen:

• Mike B and dude like this

#308 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 05 August 2020 - 02:46 PM

He's not going to make it as an MLB player. I have a new metric!  This thread is 16 pages long. if you haven't established yourself in the majors in 16 pages you are not going to cut it.  :mrgreen:

I see a new stat. "What's his BSL percentage"

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#309 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 August 2020 - 02:54 PM

That and the fact, that he seems to have gone to the Chris Davis school of hitting is probably not good.

@mikeghg

#310 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,931 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 02:56 PM

He's not going to make it as an MLB player. I have a new metric! This thread is 16 pages long. if you haven't established yourself in the majors in 16 pages you are not going to cut it. :mrgreen:

Switch the number of posts per page in your settings to give DJ more time!!!
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#311 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,323 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 05 August 2020 - 04:29 PM

Here's the bottom line coming soon. With minor league teams being contracted players are going to get much less time to make it. Not going to see 27 year old guys in the minors much in a couple of years.

#312 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,606 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 05 August 2020 - 05:45 PM

He’s lost. And it’s likely a blown first round pick. Shocker.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#313 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,931 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 06:29 PM

Here's the bottom line coming soon. With minor league teams being contracted players are going to get much less time to make it. Not going to see 27 year old guys in the minors much in a couple of years.

You won't see much change at all at the upper levels.

Cutting some lower levels will mean younger guys need to do something sooner or else they won't make the cut moving upwards. It's the really late draft picks or super cheap intl signings that will lose a bit of opportunity to bloom late.

The percentage of teams they are proposing to cut is far lower than the percentage of players in the minors whoa re actual prospects.

The Orioles have about 200 minor leaguers currently. If we lose one affiliate, we're down to 165ish. I doubt it's many real prospects that will be the 35 guys who lose their spot.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#314 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 06:34 PM

He gets more time but has to find a way to relax and get the bat going soon. Can't let the moment overwhelm you. This is clearly his last shot in Baltimore.

#315 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 August 2020 - 06:37 PM

He gets more time but has to find a way to relax and get the bat going soon. Can't let the moment overwhelm you. This is clearly his last shot in Baltimore.

I disagree it’s his last chance..we don’t have any OFer that have proven they are everyday players.

His leash is relatively long.

#316 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 06:40 PM

I disagree it’s his last chance..we don’t have any OFer that have proven they are everyday players.

Depends on how we are defining a long leash. 2020 is his last year to still be on the ML teams radar if he doesn't show anything. How soon Hyde would start taking away ABs from him this year is hard to say.

#317 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 05 August 2020 - 06:42 PM

Next year: Mancini, Hays, Santander, Mountcastle, Diaz, McKenna. May not be his last chance but it isn’t going to get any easier to get in games.

#318 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 August 2020 - 06:49 PM

Next year: Mancini, Hays, Santander, Mountcastle, Diaz, McKenna. May not be his last chance but it isn’t going to get any easier to get in games.

And other than Trey, who shouldn’t be in the OF, none of them have proven that they are an everyday player.

Definitely think/hope Diaz gets his chance next year and he should be ahead of Stewart.

But Mountcastle isn’t an OFer..McKenna is nothing although he could get a chance.

Even Hays still has a lot to prove.

The Os may look at other options before Stewart but seeing as none of those options are definites, I don’t see this as definitely DJs last chance.

#319 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,323 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 05 August 2020 - 06:49 PM

You won't see much change at all at the upper levels.

Cutting some lower levels will mean younger guys need to do something sooner or else they won't make the cut moving upwards. It's the really late draft picks or super cheap intl signings that will lose a bit of opportunity to bloom late.

The percentage of teams they are proposing to cut is far lower than the percentage of players in the minors whoa re actual prospects.

The Orioles have about 200 minor leaguers currently. If we lose one affiliate, we're down to 165ish. I doubt it's many real prospects that will be the 35 guys who lose their spot.

Maybe this is how it will work out. But I also see a scenario where players get moved up sooner. And if players are moved up sooner then they are younger when they are up at AAA. To me that has to result in fewer 25-27 year olds in AAA.

Without going into a big research project can you think of a player that didn't make it to the majors until they were 26 (or older) that went on to have solid MLB careers?

#320 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,931 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 06:51 PM

Luke Scott is the first that jumps to mind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=